Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
If you have the opportunity to ski a few times before you go down to school it would be good. It seems no matter what amount of exercising you do before, the muscle combinations used in skiing always train best when skiing. I went after only having skied locally once and I know I would have gotten more out of it had I skied a few more times just to warm up and get back in the groove.
In addition to what others have suggested I will add that you should be ready to deal with a bad case of "spray leg" if you are a slalom guy. Typically at Coble you will ski 4 sets/day (6 passes each set) and I know my rear calf felt raw after the first day. Typically you have a chance to build up a tolerance to this over time but when faced with multiple set days, your calf bruising simply does not heal that quickly. Again, if you have the chance to ski locally before going you will likely build up the tolerance.
Have fun, Coble is a great place.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Prostar205 View Post
I'm a 5x per week crossfitter for the past couple of year so I hope that will be enough to keep my cardio where it needs to be. Gonna focus on leg and lower back strength over the next few months. On the topic of hands, what type of gloves and liners do you guys recommend? East Tx, do you have a pic of the type of taping you are describing?
I am a Clincher convert (technically Radar's version of the Clincher actually) and I have found these to be far less callous inducing. This might be an option to consider. Kevlar glove liners where helpful but I didn't like the extra layer in there as it made the glove tight and I felt my grip strength was decreased.

I have gone to five ski schools over the years and every time I went I had issues with my hands. They would be really tore up it affected my skiing by the end of the week.

I feel it because of the warm water, getting up at each end of the lake (twice if you fell) and pulling harder than you might normally do as you are excited about being there. It is really good to plan ahead and heed the advice of people who have been there before.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Tim View Post
Could there be any other Dirk! Guess the gin and tonics I was referring to we're the ones he an I shared while my kids were off on their sessions
I was just giving you a hard time on the prep. Intense skiing definitely uses a combination of muscles that is hard to replicate via any other activity. If you have plans in the future to be at PLSS, let me know, as it would be great to meet. I'm only a mile from Dirk's place.
Thanks for the hard time... love taken a little jabbing about my extremeness...

A mile from dirk's place... you suck! I mean that in the most MC-loving way - I am 5 hours away. I travel for my job and I get to Fenton and Ann Arbor...unfortunately the weather has been lousy my last couple of trips. I think Dirk and his team are great. I envy his job and his workplace... In my book he has the best job on the planet..

When I went in 2010 - I did 90 minutes like I said...thought I was in great shape...no pain during the sessions...no pain next day. 2 days later I could barely walk and at that time I had a 1 mile walk from the chicago train station to my office. When I found out what causes it - I try to inform as many people I can.

I'll be heading down to Liquid Edge in Illinois to get more coaching - only 90 minutes away from my front door. I wish I was closer to Dirk to give him more business.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
be willing to take a few steps backwards in order to make strides forwards. slowing boat speed and lengthening line to work on technique is an example. most importantly, have fun.

'07 PS197 TT w/PP & ZO

club boat '12 PS197 TT
Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 ProStar 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Tim View Post
If you have plans in the future to be at PLSS, let me know, as it would be great to meet. I'm only a mile from Dirk's place.
Small world, guys. I've skied there with Dirk's crew a few times too and now have my own slip on Pine Lake since I moved. Contact me offline if you want to join us. I usually ski in the evenings when there's rarely much traffic on Pine Lake.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Ok guys, bringing a dead thread back. What's a guy need to do to get ready for wakeboard school? I'm headed down to the boarding school mid April 2014. I workout 5-6 days a week, I mostly lift and run/ swim a little. Anything y'all recommend that have been before? I feel I'm in pretty good shape but I know I'll be dead after boarding a few days straight so I'm just looking for input to make my experience as good as possible. Thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Ok guys, bringing a dead thread back. What's a guy need to do to get ready for wakeboard school? I'm headed down to the boarding school mid April 2014. I workout 5-6 days a week, I mostly lift and run/ swim a little. Anything y'all recommend that have been before? I feel I'm in pretty good shape but I know I'll be dead after boarding a few days straight so I'm just looking for input to make my experience as good as possible. Thanks in advance
work your core... get a ski handle and tie it to something so you can practice form and pull thru.. I am doing the same as the season winds down...
Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Thanks mike, I'll throw more core into the mix as Ive needed to anyway!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Thanks mike, I'll throw more core into the mix as Ive needed to anyway!
TX river rat has been critique me.. and get the handle to my hip and working on not bending at the waist really works the core. If I don't focus on perfect form I don't get sore after skiing.. focusing on doing it tight uses different muscle groups. if you got 5 - 6 days... take full advantage of it.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Find a way to toughen up your hands. A friend of mine used to smack his palms with a hammer handle to toughen them up. Also, hold an icecube in your fist before and after runs. It'll help to minimize blisters in my experience, though I'm not sure why or how.