Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 08-14-2014, 03:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X-35, 2008, LY6 Closed Cooled
Help with additional front piggy-back ballast 08 X-35

Hi Guys,

Been an amazing year getting the new boat (to us) going. Spent the last few weeks reading posts and getting some more ballast into our 2008 X-35.

Right now we have 1100# piggy back bags in the back corners plus stock tanks. Aside from the KGB we don't have any ballast up front so have been moving bodies around. Time to fix that I think.

Question is, what have other x-35 (or similar) owners been doing to add that ballast?

Piggy back on KGB? If so, what bags are you using up front? Under seats? on the floor? on the seats?

Or, are you just using external pumps? Same question about which bags...

Looking for advice on this, the back was a no-brainer.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 PM
TT Regular

Nobody out there? X-45s etc. How are you guys putting ballast in the front of the boat?
Old 08-19-2014, 04:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, 2007, 8.1L
This is what i'd be looking at http://www.wakemakers.com/mastercraf...st-system.html
Old 09-17-2014, 05:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-35 LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambier View Post
Nobody out there? X-45s etc. How are you guys putting ballast in the front of the boat?
Gambier-

Spent the last week and a half working with the guys at wakemakers.com setting up my system for wakesurfing. I based this off "listing" my 08 X-35 and also wakesurfing off my buddies '10 23LSV.

What I decided on and why:
Fly High 750lb piggyback systems in the back lockers to add to stock ballast

Front I ended up not doing the piggy back system because with the pickle-fork the bags go under the seats and you'd lose basically all your storage area (which is where i currently keep both my anchors and other boat specific items). So, I ordered the Eight.3 800lb bag with Rule3700 to set up front between the seats on the floor. We used an 1100lb Eight.3 bag up front in my buddies LSV and it was awesome.

So ballast will end up:
Port- Stock system + 750lb piggyback
Starboard- Stock system + 750lb piggyback
KGB- Stock system + 800lb Eight.3 bag

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-17-2014, 06:13 PM
TT Regular

Thanks Mike,

Good to get some other X-35 info. I've been working on this in the meantime as well. This is where I am:

Port & Starboard - stock 250 + 1100lb piggyback bags
750 lb bag w/ external tsunami pump along the surfing side
400 lb bag w/ external pump in the bow

All from wakemakers. This is a really good wave. Found that without the extra 750 along the side we lost some size to the wave when putting the weight in the bow.

Next i'm going to plumb in the bag along the port side but keep the bow on an external pump. will likely end up with a 600lb bag from wakemakers since there isn't alot of room under those seats.

For starboard side surfing we'll use the bag & pump - have a few too many folks that ride goofy...

Right now i'm struggling with the pump timers filling the rear piggyback bags. Going to rip them out and send them for reprogramming during the off season.

Will have to check out the Eight.3 bag too...

Scott
Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 PM
TT Newbie

Hey Scott-

Interesting.....you mentioned 1100# bags in the back lockers. I was initially wanting to do this; however, the pro's at wakemakers said not to because the locker wasn't big enough and would pinch the bags down not allowing a full bag of water to be pumped in which is why i went with the 750's. The 750's height and width wise are the same as the 600lb bags but an extra 10" longer.

Any issues with your 1100's? Do they completely fill the bag?
Old 09-18-2014, 05:23 AM
TT Regular

I originally had a 750 in the back locker too. Decided to try the 1100. On the port side it fits, pinches slightly at the front when it fills to the top but it does fill completely from what I can see.

The starboard side doesn't fill completely because I have the fresh water tank in the back of that locker. I think going with a 750 on that side would be fine since I don't think we're even getting 90% full with the 1100.

Trying to find a bag that will fit under the starboard seats (cooler area) that I can plumb in. Right now the bag is on the seats. Wakemakers recommended the 600lb sumo which looks like a good choice. Going to order it up and try it.

Are you putting the bow bag in the middle on the floor or on the seats?

Scott
Old 09-18-2014, 07:51 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambier View Post
I originally had a 750 in the back locker too. Decided to try the 1100. On the port side it fits, pinches slightly at the front when it fills to the top but it does fill completely from what I can see.

The starboard side doesn't fill completely because I have the fresh water tank in the back of that locker. I think going with a 750 on that side would be fine since I don't think we're even getting 90% full with the 1100.

Trying to find a bag that will fit under the starboard seats (cooler area) that I can plumb in. Right now the bag is on the seats. Wakemakers recommended the 600lb sumo which looks like a good choice. Going to order it up and try it.

Are you putting the bow bag in the middle on the floor or on the seats?

Scott
Yes middle of seats on floor I'll let you know how that works out. I'll see what the 750 bags do and figured if I need more I'd just buy another Eight.3 bag in 1100lbs and put it on the back seats. I'd be interested to know if you plumb the extra bags under the seats and run it off the port or starboard pump how bad that crushes the pump from running so long to fill all the bags. I'd assume the longevity of the pump would be severely decreased, but that's a wag at best.