Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 09-11-2014, 12:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 XStar
Auto Launch Surf Tab

With all the hype about surf tabs and such I've got an idea. Would it be possible to make a new center tab or an attachment we could put on our auto launch tab that would give us what we need to throw a clean surf wake. I know it would defeat the auto launch purpose during wakeboarding. But just turn it off while wakeboarding. So during a surf set u would lower the auto launch tab and surf. I realize it probably would only be good for surfing one side. The tab is already back there and easily moved up and down..........Just thinking out loud.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davalonth View Post
With all the hype about surf tabs and such I've got an idea. Would it be possible to make a new center tab or an attachment we could put on our auto launch tab that would give us what we need to throw a clean surf wake. I know it would defeat the auto launch purpose during wakeboarding. But just turn it off while wakeboarding. So during a surf set u would lower the auto launch tab and surf. I realize it probably would only be good for surfing one side. The tab is already back there and easily moved up and down..........Just thinking out loud.
on my X46 the 10% center tab of the factory settings definitly do clean up the wake, gets worse if you put the center tab at 0%... but then again XStar is a whole different hull shape
Old 09-11-2014, 02:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Here is what I'm thinking....what if we bolted some fins like these but bigger at a 45 degree angle onto the auto launch plate. With the plate down this would direct water and kick the a$$ end of the boat out the opposite direction. If we put big enough fins, made a new plate, or attached something to the plate to direct water to one direction would it give us the desired effect (a clean surf wake). I have no idea if this would work. Just trying to get some gears turning.
Attached Images

Last edited by Davalonth; 09-11-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Interesting idea. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that you'd get a lot more benefit of a shaping device placed on the edge of the boat. If you picture the water flow behind a boat, I think you're really trying to change water flow on one side from sweeping around the edge of a boat and heading to the 'rooster tail' at the start of the wake. That's hard to do from the center of the hull.

I would think it better to install something like a modified lenco trim tab on each side, tie into existing wiring, and figure out how to activate the software so that the existing switches work. It would be easy for someone with the inside knowledge of how the newer boats work, but perhaps difficult for the rest of us to reverse engineer it. I may fiddle around next year on my 14V, because there is no gen2 option for my boat even though it is a 2014.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 13 x45
If you have Murphy s I can help u
Old 09-12-2014, 12:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinoswiatek View Post
If you have Murphy s I can help u
I'm not sure what Murphy's is but he sounds like a cool guy?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:08 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 85' S&S
murphy is your software system. they would have to be huge tabs on that thing to get it to do what NSS and surf gate do! lol.