Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > MasterCraft In Your Area

Old 06-20-2016, 11:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Moving to Dallas, TX

All,

My company is pushing to relocate me to the Dallas, TX region. Looking for boating advice, how natives do it down there, etc. Currently I own a PS197.

I'm a weekend warrior up here CT. I drive almost 3 hours to the lake on Friday night (Lake Sunapee, NH), then back to CT late on Sunday. I own a boat slip on the lake, so the boat is always in the water. I wouldn't want to trailer a boat that far every weekend, it would just be too much. Traveling that far to a second home is a lot of work, and I'm looking forward to chiseling that commute down substantially to my new lake destination.

For those in the area, how do you boat, and where? Second home on the water, do you trailer, or do you rent/own a boat slip somewhere? Looking forward to your recommendations. I'll be 29 in August, and less than a month after that I'll be getting married, then babies, yada yada. Life will be busy but we have always enjoyed our time on the water in NH, and would like to continue that in TX. I have read that the water can get pretty choppy on some of the bigger lakes around that area, and I don't want to pay for weekly chiropractor visits for the entire family (current boat is a PS197).

Thanks All.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:57 PM
MC Fanatic

didn't see the other recent dallas thread. sorry.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:02 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Anything on the Brazos.

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 06-20-2016, 02:22 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Where exactly in the Dallas area?

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 06-20-2016, 02:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Anything on the Brazos.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Where exactly in the Dallas area?
not sure yet. Will be heading down with the fiance within the next couple of weeks to check out houses/apartments with a realtor. it's a brand new area from us, so I'm leaning more towards purchasing an apartment in D/FW, or possibly a house near the water. We are a young couple about to settle down an have a family, so convenience will be everything for us, especially if we even want to have a chance at continuing our boating lifestyle once we have kids.

boat is a PS197, so I may need to upgrade to something a little more seaworthy, from what I hear the water can get pretty choppy during summer.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:05 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Bumming Pulls
I lived in Rockwall for 5 years and was able to join a buddy at least once a week in his 190 for a few good sets with nice water in the evenings. He lived on the West side of Lake Ray Hubbard just North of I-30.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy Style View Post
I lived in Rockwall for 5 years and was able to join a buddy at least once a week in his 190 for a few good sets with nice water in the evenings. He lived on the West side of Lake Ray Hubbard just North of I-30.
I had friends that lived in that area and enjoyed it. They shared a boat with their neighbor, it worked out well. It's just a haul to get to Fort Worth from there.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Guys, I have a PS197. While it's a great boat to slalom behind, it's certainly not the only water sport we do. Slalomjunkie was nice enough to send me a write-up of each of the nearby lakes, and it sounds like most of the lakes have heavy chop during the days in the summer. So while we will get up some days early morning to slalom, we will also want to spend the majority of the day on the water. Being underway in rough water in a 197 is not the most comfortable ride.

Can anyone comment? Anyone in that area have a 197, that is able to get a full day on the water? Better to upgrade, and if so, what to?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:03 AM
MC Fanatic

dupe post...
Old 06-22-2016, 11:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-30 (sold) 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
We're slipped on Lewisville. We love it cause we can leave the house and be on the water 30 min later. Having it so close enables us to go during the week and avoid the weekend rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk