Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > MasterCraft In Your Area

Old 01-16-2016, 08:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft x10 2014
Steiner Ranch, Austin, Tx

Any members live in Steiner Ranch in Austin? Some of you may remember I am trying to move to Austin. Very close now, hopefully in the next two months.

We really like Steiner Ranch, and the proximity to Lake Austin. Reading the HOA rules, sounds like you can't leave the boat in the driveway. All of the garage doors on the homes for sale appear to be 7ft tall. What do people who live in Steiner Ranch do with their boats? Do you modify the garage to get the extra foot? Is there a storage place down by the lake?

Appreciate any insight.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:38 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2011 X25, 85 S&S
I don't live there, but I've completed in a wakesurf comp that was hosted there. There are outdoor storage places for the trailers, and a marina for the boats. I'm sure there are storages close, I just don't remember.

2011 X25-Wetsounds galore, GoSurfAssist equipped!
1985 S&S
Old 01-16-2016, 10:49 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Steiner Ranch is right there at Mansfield dam so you have Lake travis access at the dam and Lake Austin, Its a beautiful subdivision and I'm not surprised you can't have boats or rv's sitting out. My guess is most in there would storage or have their boats in a slip on Travis, not far from marinas or storage. Literally if you had a slip on Travis you could be boating from your house inside 15min.

Travis is at 677 and pool is 681.

http://laketravis.com/placecategory/boat-storage/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
I don't live there, but I've completed in a wakesurf comp that was hosted there. There are outdoor storage places for the trailers, and a marina for the boats. I'm sure there are storages close, I just don't remember.
Unofrtunately, the marina is more of a day use. Although there is a G on a lift there, which I suspect may be owned by the HOA. It also isn't very protected from the passing wake. I imagine there is a storage yard somewhere, just not my preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
Steiner Ranch is right there at Mansfield dam so you have Lake travis access at the dam and Lake Austin, Its a beautiful subdivision and I'm not surprised you can't have boats or rv's sitting out. My guess is most in there would storage or have their boats in a slip on Travis, not far from marinas or storage. Literally if you had a slip on Travis you could be boating from your house inside 15min.

Travis is at 677 and pool is 681.

http://laketravis.com/placecategory/boat-storage/
The proximity to both lakes is one of the reasons we like the neighborhood. A slip would make sense, just don't seem very easy to come by on lake austin. We would probably use lake austin 90% of the time, so that is where we would want a slip.

It is awesome that Travis has come back so strongly. When we were there in the summer it was up a good 40 ft already, and has continued to rise through the fall and winter. Very exciting.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
it's been years since I have been there but if you can get a slip and lift you will never regret it. I always keep all my boats in a storage slip because I was so nuts about keeping the boat clean. I am going on my 3rd year of keeping the boat in a marina slip on hydrohoist and it's been the best thing we have ever done. boat stays clean with the cover I use and not having to deal with idiots at the ramp is awesome. we park walk down take cover off and on the water.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:07 PM
MC Platinum

Just curious why Lake Austin is your preference over Travis? Lake Austin has implemented a lot of restrictions over the last few years and I believe they actually close the lake on some holidays. I think they have a no wake within 50' of shore proposed, if that happened it would make the whole thing no wake. I hope the property owners don't get their way and force everyone off.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2016, 01:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
Just curious why Lake Austin is your preference over Travis? Lake Austin has implemented a lot of restrictions over the last few years and I believe they actually close the lake on some holidays. I think they have a no wake within 50' of shore proposed, if that happened it would make the whole thing no wake. I hope the property owners don't get their way and force everyone off.
We boated on both last summer and found we liked Lake Austin better. We found Lake Travis to be too big of water, and difficult to get smooth water. One time we went at 7am, and it was blown out (I'm sure that isn't the norm), decided not to drop in, went down to Quinlan and had perfect water on Austin.

I hadn't heard of any restrictions on Austin yet. With the number of wakeboats on there, I would hope restrictions wouldn't pass.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
it's been years since I have been there but if you can get a slip and lift you will never regret it. I always keep all my boats in a storage slip because I was so nuts about keeping the boat clean. I am going on my 3rd year of keeping the boat in a marina slip on hydrohoist and it's been the best thing we have ever done. boat stays clean with the cover I use and not having to deal with idiots at the ramp is awesome. we park walk down take cover off and on the water.
I would love a slip, especially if it was really nearby. However, I am not aware of any available near the bottom of Steiner Ranch.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
Travis can be rough, I keep my boat at cross water yacht club on Travis. But lake Austin on the weekend is horrible. Nice lake during the week. Fisrt year I lived in Austin kept my boat in a slip there. Allot of te marinas on Austin want you to pay for a year in advance. And if you are a marina dweller like me, one gas station at the end of the lake doesn't work. Also I have been cited for stereo and wake on Austin. And I don't use my stereo that out of control. Just having your towers on not in motion is enough.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:48 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarndahl View Post
Travis can be rough, I keep my boat at cross water yacht club on Travis. But lake Austin on the weekend is horrible. Nice lake during the week. Fisrt year I lived in Austin kept my boat in a slip there. Allot of te marinas on Austin want you to pay for a year in advance. And if you are a marina dweller like me, one gas station at the end of the lake doesn't work. Also I have been cited for stereo and wake on Austin. And I don't use my stereo that out of control. Just having your towers on not in motion is enough.

I was going to add just what you said, very strict on the DB's there. I don't know the dam end of travis but up in the mile marker 30's I have never had an issue finding good water. Can't beat the pedernales for sweet flat water.

Quote: