Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
A Scissor jack isn't low enough to go under the axle on my single-axle trailer. I have the 5000 pound axle (six lugs), and it hangs much lower than the center of the wheel.

You definitely need something like the previous two linked ramps to get the wheel up high enough to get the jack under the axle.
I've got an old scissor jack like this one:

It's 4" high in the saddle and my axle (5000# 6-lug) is about 6.5" off the ground (with air in the tires). I figure in my worst case scenario I could jack from more of a central location, put something under the axle or wheel and move the jack outboard. I hope it would work that way, I haven't had to try it yet. I know I am pushing my luck, note the brand name on the tire below!
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
If you put your jack under the axle, you should be good. The scissor jack that comes with most trucks would probably work. If you don't already have one, they are cheap and plentiful.
When I have had a flat, neither of my jacks have been able to help me. I need to get the axle off the ground in order to get my 2 ton jack under the axle :/

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport

Not to hijack the thread, but several have advocated stern tie-downs. I understand the concept, but my Tristar doesn't have anything on hte stern to toe to that wouldn't drape across the swim deck. Ideas?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft prostar,1993 285 hp.,
AZDave: Just as a suggestion, you could have it shrink wrapped. That keeps everthing from flying out the boat and protects the gel coat. Rather than towing your boat 400 miles, you could just sell it to me. LOL! It's just what I've been looking for, a red '93. Oh well, keep me in mind! joeski1157@yahoo.com
Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft prostar,1993 285 hp.,
AZDave: Just as a suggestion, you could have it shrink wrapped. That keeps everthing from flying out the boat and protects the gel coat. Rather than towing your boat 400 miles, you could just sell it to me. LOL! It's just what I've been looking for, a red '93. Oh well, keep me in mind! joeski1157@yahoo.com
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Table Rocker -
How far is it from the ground to the rim? Subtract that from 6.5", and you'll have a good idea of the clearance you'll have when your tire blows, and the clearance that you'll have to stuff the jack into. I have a similar scissors jack, and it wouldn't fit underneath (on an asphalt surface) last year when I lost a tire.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
400 miles not a huge tow but it is significant enough to do proper prep. Repack bearings, bleed brakes and replace tires if more than 5 yrs old. Tires can look great but break down with sun and lack of movement will weaken the sidewall. This is a major cause of failure. A tire failure that takes out the fender or damages the boat is exponentially more expensive than a couple new tires.

A jack and jack stand is more versitle than those ramps IMO. Can jack the frame enough to brace then place jack under the axle. Two chunks of 4x4 is also a useful as either a tire chalk or spacer.

Not surprised a bow tie down has not been mentioned. The recovery strap is NOT a tie down, it pulls horizontal. A separate ratchet strap going from the bow eye straight down to the frame makes a significant difference.
Transom tie downs will keep the back from moving. A gunwale strap is unnecessary if tie downs are properly positioned and will not hold the boat in an extreme situation anyway.

I would not trailer with a full cover unless moisture was expected. It is hard to the cover and boat. If so, slow down significantly.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Table Rocker -
How far is it from the ground to the rim? Subtract that from 6.5", and you'll have a good idea of the clearance you'll have when your tire blows, and the clearance that you'll have to stuff the jack into. I have a similar scissors jack, and it wouldn't fit underneath (on an asphalt surface) last year when I lost a tire.
Yea, I might have to pull it up on a rock or something to get clearance. It's always something. I was carrying a big bottle jack every time I towed, but I would still need to block up to get to the frame with enough lift left to get the tire off the ground. I was carrying a floor jack along before that, but got tired of the hassle. I love being able to use a Hi-Lift jack on my utility (car hauler) trailer, but don't want to use it on the boat trailer for fear of scraping everything up. I guess keeping the tires in good shape is the best solution, but even then stuff happens.

On the long distance towing issue: I started getting worried about my windshield last year after a good sized rock went sailing over the car and boat from on oncoming dump truck. I am planning on making kind of a cockpit cover that just goes over the windshield and has a rubber mat in it. I was thinking of rubber like you put in the bottom of the drawers in a roll-away too chest. Just the thought of having to try and replace a windshield has me thinking it needs some protection. Has anybody done anything similar?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
I used one of those scissor jacks once to change the right rear tire on my buddy's Tahoe. That was the jack provided in the truck. We jacked the truck up and about 30 seconds later, the jack broke and the truck came right back down on the ground. Luckily neither one of us was hurt.

My buddy called the dealership where he bought the truck (was only 6 months old) and they replaced the jack for free...with the SAME type jack.

I do not trailer anything without taking my 3 ton hydraulic jack in the truck...I can change a flat tire on the side of an expressway in a matter of minutes...the 3 ton works fine for my 2500HD and any boat we have trailered...
Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2006, 350
I use Rock Tamers when ever I tow anything of value especially my boat!!

As far as tie downs, I saw a boat sitting on the highway this past summer! I didn't think they could jump off the bunks till I saw it first hand. I think traveling with the cover on would be the least of your worries if it jumped off the trailer and dragged down the highway for a few hundred yards. Ouch

Drive safe.