Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
Idiots guide to marine audio?

I'm in the process of upgrading my tower speakers and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a basic primer about marine audio. I've done the usual home speaker setup but I've never had to deal with bridging channels and 2 vs 4 ohms. Basically I want to install a pair of wetsounds REV10's on the tower. I am going to add the WS-420 so I can adjust the volume separately for the tower and the cabin speakers. So where I'm getting confused is how many channels I need to have one amp run the boat. I've got the generic 4 speakers plus a sub setup on my 02 X30.

Basically which wetsounds amp do I need to run all that with appropriate power and how would it be bridged/configured? The only thing I really need loud is the sound to the rider so I want to make sure I feed the REV10s appropriately.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Without knowing a little more info about what audio is already in the boat, such as what sub, the amp driving it and if the current 4 in-boats are also driven by an amp, its hard make a specific recommendation for the entire setup.

IMO, I would at least suggest a dedicated in-boat amp and tower amp. For the Rev-10, I would suggest either the Wet Sounds SD-2 2 chnl or the Wet Sounds Syn-4. Both these amps will power the Rev-10 properly.

For your 4 on-boats and sub, you could be good with anything from a single 4 chnl, or a 5 chnl or a 6 chnl or possibly 2 amp to drive the 4 in-boats and sub.

Choose your amps first, then how to wire/configure will be secondary.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I have an Idiots Guide to Marine Audio...

It's one page and says:

"Call Kyle, he'll know exactly what I need to put in the boat and how to wire it up"

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
I'd do the syn 2 for the rev 10's. and I'm thinking you probably have a clarion amp and clarion 6.5's, which if your really only concerned about tower, leave them stock. Syn 2 will be perfect for those speakers.
Maybe earmark will chime in.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
They syn2 is not enough for the rev10's. Wetsounds typically recommends running a syn4 with the channels bridged, putting 400w to each speaker. The sinister series is new, but the SD2 is probably an even better option since it is class D and more efficient. The SD2 is almost double the price of a syn4 though.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
The Syn-2 is a great amp, but will only deliver 200W rms x 2 to a single pair of Rev-10. With reaching a wake-boarder being the priority, a minimum of 300W rms to each, but 400W X 2 RMS from and amp like the Syn-4 run in 2 chnl mode or the new Sinister SD-2 is ideal. $30 difference in retail price between the Syn-2 and Syn-4 for 2x the power.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
If the Syn2 amplifier is adequate for a pair of REV8s then it is certainly adequate for a pair of REV10s. My reasoning is that the REV10 actually has more output than a REV8 with the identical power. However, I do agree that for the small increase in cost (especially as a percentage of the entire tower speaker & amplifier investment) you really should run a bridged Syn4 to a single pair of REV10s. It's less about 'need' and more about reaching the full 'potential' of the REV10s.

David
Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
Thanks for all the replies. I just finished digging around the boat and I have the current setup.

Head unit = Clarion XMD1 with the iPod mod
Amp = Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-4
4 cabin speakers = Clarion CM1635
Sub = Clarion CMG2510W

The amp is set up to run the subwoofer and the 4 cabin speakers. The amp itself appears to be set to 2ch mode with the "front" channel set to hi-pass and has 2 speaker wires attached which i'm assuming means that it is unbridged. the "rear" channel is set to low-pass and has one speaker wire attached to it in the bridged fashion.

So I'm assuming that this means that the sub is getting 100W and the speakers are getting 50W. This is where my limited knowledge of resistance and bridging will get me in trouble.

The tower speakers (not sure the model as i can't open the cans) are MB Quart 6.5 2 way and there is a pair of them. They appeared to be powered by the head unit. The speaker wire running to the tower cans is spliced directly into the green and purple wire pairs coming out of the wiring harness on the back of the XMD1. So i'm guessing 25W max to the tower speakers.

The connection from the HU to the amp is via the pre-out RCA jacks and the when I fade the music on the HU, the tower is the "rear" and the cabin speakers are the "front".

My thoughts are to leave the current Rockford Fosgate amp in place and let it run the sub and cabin speakers as it has been. I should be able to use the pre-out RCA jacks for the "rear" and connect the HU to the new amp dedicated to the REV10's

...or... should i just buy a new multi channel amp such as the SD6 and just run one amp?

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by jafo9; 01-03-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I just finished digging around the boat and I have the current setup.

Head unit = Clarion XMD1 with the iPod mod
Amp = Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-4
4 cabin speakers = Clarion CM1635
Sub = Clarion CMG2510W

The amp is set up to run the subwoofer and the 4 cabin speakers. The amp itself appears to be set to 2ch mode with the "front" channel set to hi-pass and has 2 speaker wires attached which i'm assuming means that it is unbridged. the "rear" channel is set to low-pass and has one speaker wire attached to it in the bridged fashion.

So I'm assuming that this means that the sub is getting 100W and the speakers are getting 50W. This is where my limited knowledge of resistance and bridging will get me in trouble.

I would assume 'front' has each set of wires strung parallel yeliding 2x100w @2ohm = 50w per speaker.
The "rear" is bridged yeilding 1x200w @ 4ohm
IF that is the case, leave it as is. http://rockfordfosgate.com/products/...?itemid=108230

The tower speakers (not sure the model as i can't open the cans) are MB Quart 6.5 2 way and there is a pair of them. They appeared to be powered by the head unit. The speaker wire running to the tower cans is spliced directly into the green and purple wire pairs coming out of the wiring harness on the back of the XMD1. So i'm guessing 25W max to the tower speakers.

cut the tower speakers and turn off the internal amp. RCA output signal should be better

The connection from the HU to the amp is via the pre-out RCA jacks and the when I fade the music on the HU, the tower is the "rear" and the cabin speakers are the "front".

My thoughts are to leave the current Rockford Fosgate amp in place and let it run the sub and cabin speakers as it has been. I should be able to use the pre-out RCA jacks for the "rear" and connect the HU to the new amp dedicated to the REV10's

...or... should i just buy a new multi channel amp such as the SD6 and just run one amp?

Thanks for all your help.
Go with a separate amp for the tower. Syn4 would be a good choice or save $200 and go with an ARC KS300.4 Bridged to 2chx350w @ 4ohm (roughly the same amp)

Unless the power battery is in the same compartment, you will be pushing the upper limits of a single 4 ga power wire. Might have to look at upgrading the power wire to 1/0ga. Reuse the 4ga for runs from distribution block to amps.
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...?prodID=KFX0BK
Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
You have multiple options for an amp to power the ReV 10's. I would also recommend doing two separate amps keeping your inboats and sub to one and the tower speakers to another. It gives you mor options to help customize the system that way and separates "zones"

Keeping it simple , one stop shopping, the Syn 4 is good choice and the new SD 2 is even better. The Sd 2 will also allow you to add 2 more Rev 10 in the event that may suit your needs( don't see why anyone would need 4, but I have seen it). The Syn 4 will give you close to the same power, but will work a bit harder to do so. The new Sd 2 would not work as hard with its class d status, stay a bit cooler when pushed to its limits for periods of time, and draw a little less power. If you have the cash the Sd would be the way to go. If not the Syn 4 will not disappoint.

Do not do a Syn 2 to the Rev 10's. The only way I heard a Syn 2 reconmended for Rev 8's is when 4 were installed. The Rev series whether 8 or 10 loves the power from Syn 4

Without gutting your current setup the amp speaker combo is a decent match. Your speakers are rated 50w rms which is close to what they are getting. With that RF amp the cabins are seeing according to the RF specs 50watts each and the sub sees 200 watts. You are not going to gain anything from swapping that amp out. The limiting factors there are the speakers and sub. So unless you want to get new inboats and sub I say keep what u got there. Pretty common setup for boats back in the day before all this crazy tower speaker stuff

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun

Last edited by swatguy; 01-04-2013 at 04:39 AM.