Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 351 Windsor 1:1 Borg Warner
1:1 transmission

If an engine is at idle, should the drive shaft be turning? I hit ground (gravel/mud) last summer is this dry state of oklahoma. And it kind of seems like the transmission, while in idle, is trying to make the drive shaft turn. Also, it acts like it slips at times while under load (driving).
Old 01-19-2013, 05:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
a lot of boats have the shaft turning in idle according to this site
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM
TT Regular

Yeah sorry, I meant when the engine was at idle and was not in gear.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
yes, it is normal, the fluid when cold puts pressure on an internals of the transmission.. Miss Rita explained it here. If there's no pressure against the prop the shaft can turn... many discussions about the here.

Miss Rita explains it in this tread http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...482#post889482
Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredOSU View Post
If an engine is at idle, should the drive shaft be turning? I hit ground (gravel/mud) last summer is this dry state of oklahoma. And it kind of seems like the transmission, while in idle, is trying to make the drive shaft turn. Also, it acts like it slips at times while under load (driving).
Might need to check your transmission fluid level if it seems like its slipping, maybe even replace the fluid if it's been 100 hrs or you don't know how long its been. (Dexron III or equivalent)

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
The slipping part - you may want to have checked...if you feel it's slipping...that part I did not focus in on - I am with J.M on the fluid change. If you have the 450 transmission - it has a filter... hard to get to - have to pull shaft to reach - even if you have small hands. A prop strike is not good - how hard did strike the ground...did prop get damaged? Is shaft still straight?

When you say slip - while underway - loss of speed and increase in rpm's?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:54 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I was made to understand that, over time, the clutch pack develops a bit of a glaze that allows the shaft to turn in neutral. Not uncommon at all.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:19 PM
TT Regular

I bent the prop pretty badly when I hit the ground. I was going slalom speed and hit ground a little beyond the last gate. I was on a course & lake that I ski down once every few years in eastern oklahoma. And at the start of last season I noticed some noise near the prop shaft seal. I called SkiDIM and they said that the shaft was likely bent. So I replaced the drive shaft and seal. I took extra-special care to make sure I lined the engine and drive shaft to less than .003". So I replaced everything but the cutlas bearings. I even put a brand new steering system in the boat.