Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 190, 750sx, Aquatrax
nothing

Nothing is connected to that stud.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 AM
TT Newbie

I did some more troubleshooting this weekend. I have come to the conclusion it is the solenoid on the starter. The solenoid on the back of the engine was working. Can I buy just the solenoid? The one that is attached to the starter? If so, where is a good place to order it?
thanks for any help,
Greg
Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBR549 View Post
Jibber,
I have the same solonoid that you have in the pic. How do I get it apart? I got it off the starter, but I can't figure out how to get it apart.
thanks,
Greg
You don't/can't disassemble it.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBR549 View Post
I did some more troubleshooting this weekend. I have come to the conclusion it is the solenoid on the starter. The solenoid on the back of the engine was working. Can I buy just the solenoid? The one that is attached to the starter? If so, where is a good place to order it?
thanks for any help,
Greg
You can buy the solenoid separately, but in a marine application, you're better off buying a direct replacement starter a remanufactured one.

The main reasons starters fail are:

Not being lubricated annually.
Cranking while the battery is dying/cranking until it's stone dead.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
In addition to Jim's list I would add:
Age.
Gee, It's twenty years old, it's an electrical device in a marine environment.
Buy a new starter, it's time. Arco gear reduction type starter is about $120.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Mastercraft X-9
As others have said, your problem is likely the solenoid. There is a copper disc inside that rotates when you turn the ignition. It causes the solenoid to engage. Over time, the copper burns and therefore doesn't engage. Click it enough times, and it may ultimately find a clean spot and start the motor. There was a time when you could open the solenoid and just flip that copper disc over. Most solenoids now, however, are not serviceable.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 PM
TT Newbie

Finally got it fixed. I ordered a new solenoid. It had a tag on one post that said "use this connection if only one wire is used". So, I used that post. It was the wrong post. So I took it back off and did some troubleshooting. With the old solenoid on, the bendix was engaging, but it was not making connections to the starter motor. I put the new solenoid back on, and with the starter off the boat and on my work bench, I connected power to the positive stud and grounded the starter to the negative battery side. I then jumped across the positive post to the small solenoid post. When you do this, it is suppose to actuate the solenoid which first pushes the bendix gear into the starter flywheel. It then switches on the starter motor. My old solenoid was only actuating the bendix gear. That was the click I heard. It was not making the connection to power the starter motor. Check out this diagram and you will see what I am talking about. http://www.indiacar.com/infobank/battery1_od.htm

Thanks for all the help.