Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 05-03-2016, 04:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-30 (sold) 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Question Ballast Help Required

I have a 2003 Mastercraft X-30, looking to get some general ballast answers about a broken front tank/working rears and potential upgrade.

1) The front sac in the ski hatch has water in it. It will not fill or empty. When I turn the pump on it makes the noise but no water flowing in our out. Where do I begin to fix this issue?

2) The rear pumps/tanks work great, I was considering taking the hard tanks out and putting in 900lb sacs from Wakemakers? The product expert estimated that the fill time would increase by 7 minutes, seemed to good to be true considering the pumps are factory. Any thoughts on this number?

3) Does anyone have any experience on removing hard tanks and adding sacks using original plumbing and pumps? How difficult is the install? How long does it take?

I appreciate any advice you may give. I've searched the entire forum for someone in my shoes and found nothing.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 XStar and 2004 X2 For Sale
1) check the impeller on the pump bet it's leaking or make sure the thru-hull is not turned off

2) yes, upgrade to whatever soft bags you want... 750's, 900's or the 1100's if they fit

3) removing hard tanks is easy... about an hour total project if you buy two of this kits https://www.wakemakers.com/mastercra...m-upgrade.html

Where do you get your boat...

2008 XStar
Old 05-03-2016, 04:42 PM
TT Regular

Where is the impeller for the front tank located?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

it's in the pump... if you have reversible pumps... do the ballast drain from the side of the boat or from the bottom... can you hear them drain?

My 04 X2 has the front pump under the rear seat behind the driver... not sure on the X30

Turn it on and follow the sound

2008 XStar
Old 05-03-2016, 04:54 PM
TT Regular

It drains from the side. Once I am able to locate the pump is an impeller swap pretty easy to do?

Secondly, the 1100lb sac from wakemakers that is specifically for mastercraft is discontinued. Would the extra 200lbs be worth buying from elsewhere/buying a generic 1100lb sac?

Lastly, do you have any experience or ideas on calculating fill time? I'm hesitant to just take the wakemakers reps word, and I'm deathly afraid of putting something in that takes an outrageous amount of time. to fill.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

03 is when they switched to the reversible pumps but that doesn't guarantee that you have them... the impeller is 3 flat head screws and if easily accessible then you're looking at 10 mins to swap.

The 01 XStar I had had the aerator pumps and there were also 3 valves in the rear locker so the pumps don't drain when driving... this would also be a way to tell if you have the reversible ones or not... if you have the valves make sure your center is open as that to would not let it fill or drain.

The only custom MasterCraft bags I know of are the 720's for the XStar... can you post a link to the MasterCraft 1100's? These are in my buddies 04 XStar and fill completely https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-jumbo-surf-sac.html I have the 720's in my XStar and 750's in the X2

Your boat does not have timers so I wouldn't worry about the fill/drain time... if you are tied of waiting just start riding... you don't have to fill them all the way. I doubt the wakemakers rep would steer you wrong.

Where are you located? I'm sure if you post your location someone on here can swing by and help if needed... if you're on Lake Norman I can come help you out.

2008 XStar
Old 05-03-2016, 05:28 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1995 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lda6339 View Post
It drains from the side. Once I am able to locate the pump is an impeller swap pretty easy to do?
*yes easy to replace the impeller. Go with the green ones, but I've heard there are new blue ones that may be better?
Secondly, the 1100lb sac from wakemakers that is specifically for mastercraft is discontinued. Would the extra 200lbs be worth buying from elsewhere/buying a generic 1100lb sac?
*I use 720's in the back of my X-star (you can get 750's easily) not sure if 1100lbs. is necessary. Check your locker dimensions and buy the largest you can fit.

Lastly, do you have any experience or ideas on calculating fill time? I'm hesitant to just take the wakemakers reps word, and I'm deathly afraid of putting something in that takes an outrageous amount of time. to fill.
*Count on 15 mins. or more to fill large sacs. It's no big deal, I start filling while the engine warms up and the first rider gets ready to go.

When you determine that your pump is working for the front tank, remove the cover and flip it on to make sure the impeller spins. You could have a blockage or kinked hose if water won't come out of that tank. Remove the hose at the pump and put a shop vac on there to see if you can suck water out of the tank.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:29 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by customcruiser View Post
03 is when they switched to the reversible pumps but that doesn't guarantee that you have them... the impeller is 3 flat head screws and if easily accessible then you're looking at 10 mins to swap.

The 01 XStar I had had the aerator pumps and there were also 3 valves in the rear locker so the pumps don't drain when driving... this would also be a way to tell if you have the reversible ones or not... if you have the valves make sure your center is open as that to would not let it fill or drain.

The only custom MasterCraft bags I know of are the 720's for the XStar... can you post a link to the MasterCraft 1100's? These are in my buddies 04 XStar and fill completely https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-jumbo-surf-sac.html I have the 720's in my XStar and 750's in the X2

Your boat does not have timers so I wouldn't worry about the fill/drain time... if you are tied of waiting just start riding... you don't have to fill them all the way. I doubt the wakemakers rep would steer you wrong.

Where are you located? I'm sure if you post your location someone on here can swing by and help if needed... if you're on Lake Norman I can come help you out.
Here is the link to what I was looking at that wakemasters told me was made for the X-30. https://www.wakemakers.com/mastercra...m-upgrade.html

Upon further inspection it appears that the sac you linked and the sac I linked are the exact same. Looks like I will be opting for the 1100lb option after all. Whats your current fill time for the 1100lb sacs you linked and do you know the GPH for your pumps? I am located on Lake Lewisville. Lastly, do you know where the pumps are located on the 03 X-30?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:31 PM
TT Regular

I appreciate the advice on fill time, as for the pumps- where are the pumps located in the 03 X-30?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Funny... my office is in Coppell, TX and I travel once a month here for work... I am here this week... have an apartment right at Grapevine Mills Mall

I can come mess with your boat with you if you want... I'm bored with nothing to do for the next 3 evenings

Matt
704-807-7267

2008 XStar

Tags
ballast problems, ballast pump, ballast system, x30