Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM

Boat: 06 X30
More reading and more learning.

It seems the one of the best surveillance DVR makers is Dahua Security. I guess they have a deal where they sell them to US makers but they must be re-branded.

One of the companies that does that is Security Camera King.

They have a very big selection of DVRs, cameras, wiring, and just about anything else.

They also have a build your own system deal.

http://www.securitycameraking.com/cu...9033-prd1.html
Old 01-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Well I placed an order this morning with Security Camera King. I found a 5% discount code on the webs.

Total cost was right at a grand.

I ordered:

8 Channel Ultimate MINI Series SKU: DVR-LT8240MHD This is a Dahua brand DVR which has a built in Linux OS.

This DVR is about $250 bucks less then the other ones they have because it does not come with a DVD burner. I know I'll never use that feature because I can just pull the video off the HD over the network if I need to burn it.

The 8 camera external power supply is standard.

I also got two of their base line indoor/outdoor IR cameras.
600TVL Indoor/Outdoor IR Dome #OD-CM600IR50-B

For the main living room I went with a camera with a few more features and an adjustable angle camera because I have to mount it in a vaulted ceiling.

The camera that will cover my shop and boat has a longer ranger.

700TVL Varifocal IR Vandal Dome # VD-EL700IR100L2812

To round out the bundle I ordered a 500 foot roll of siamese cable, crimper tool, and bunch of ends.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Well I placed an order this morning with Security Camera King. I found a 5% discount code on the webs.

Total cost was right at a grand.

I ordered:

8 Channel Ultimate MINI Series SKU: DVR-LT8240MHD This is a Dahua brand DVR which has a built in Linux OS.

This DVR is about $250 bucks less then the other ones they have because it does not come with a DVD burner. I know I'll never use that feature because I can just pull the video off the HD over the network if I need to burn it.

The 8 camera external power supply is standard.

I also got two of their base line indoor/outdoor IR cameras.
600TVL Indoor/Outdoor IR Dome #OD-CM600IR50-B

For the main living room I went with a camera with a few more features and an adjustable angle camera because I have to mount it in a vaulted ceiling.

The camera that will cover my shop and boat has a longer ranger.

700TVL Varifocal IR Vandal Dome # VD-EL700IR100L2812

To round out the bundle I ordered a 500 foot roll of siamese cable, crimper tool, and bunch of ends.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.
dang.... it sucks when you gotta pay a thousand bucks to protect your stuff
will you get a break on home insurance?

post a tutorial or pics..... we are simple minded creatures and we like pictures

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 PM

You know, I never even thought about asking my insurance company if there was a credit for home surveillance equip properties. Thanks for the suggestion.

I figure if the camers/surveillance system keeps the baddies out it'll be worth the bucks spent.

I'll probably run over to the home deport and pick up the boxes for the power outlets and through ceiling BNC connections. If I get most of that done before the gear arrives hopefully I can get it all installed this weekend.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Let us know how the install goes.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayMC197 View Post
Get an izon, it's cheap, easy to move and pretty fair quality for 50. Not a serious system but I like it.
Fair quality is OK, as long as you don't need to see who did what. The only thing that's worthwhile is high quality video capture. Period. New cameras are true HD now- why bother with a $50 POS when you want to see who broke in on a pitch black night?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
To add another question to the list:

How useful is the video image in a low light situation? In my case there is a street light about 100 ft away providing limited lighting at night. Could faces be identified under this circumstance?
Here is a video with a 0 Lux IR camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BD3-lnpzUDI

Sure looks like you could get identity from it.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 AM
MC Master Poster

I just captured this image- it's not really as bright as the photo shows, but the settings allow EVERYTHING to be the way I want. This is using a Digital Watchdog camera- it's not terribly expensive, it uses available light ('Starlight'), it blocks extremely bright lights (headlights and flashlights aimed at it to blind the camera) and the black bar is part of the "privacy" function, meant to keep the camera from sending sensitive images to the DVR (bedroom, bathroom or any other neighboring building that would be an invasion of privacy). It also works when an extremely bright light is causing flare, due to the curvature of the dome, as teh sodium vapor light next door does. This camera is almost 3 years old. The new 'Snap-It' series is submersible, once the dome is screwed in place. 5 year warranty, too.

Keep in mind- this wasn't captured on-site- I did it over the internet, using my computer. The image seen at the location is just like viewing it on a monitor. Also, the time is more than an hour ahead of real time- it was 7:02AM when I captured it and, apparently, I need to check the time setting on the DVR.
Attached Images

Last edited by JimN; 01-09-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 AM

Great looking shot, Jim.

Do you have a link to the current like model or model number? I did order two of the base model cameras in my package with the intent on doing more research and possible upgrades to them. There were a few break-ins at the end of last year so I was kind of rushed to get something installed.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Great looking shot, Jim.

Do you have a link to the current like model or model number? I did order two of the base model cameras in my package with the intent on doing more research and possible upgrades to them. There were a few break-ins at the end of last year so I was kind of rushed to get something installed.
That camera is the Digital Watchdog V3363D. The new model I used last is the V4363D. The new ones can use RG59/18-2 siamese cable, separate coax/two conductor or Cat5e/6/7 cable. I'd like to see them put an RJ45 jack in the shell- at this point, it needs to be spliced. They also have cameras that use one pair of wires to control the camera remotely, so you can pan/tilt/zoom even if you're not where the DVR is located. I would suggest making sure the camera can be programmed to go to a 'home' position after it's re-adjusted. No point in having a PTZ camera and leaving it so it's viewing an area that's not what needs coverage. Rather than PTZ, I like to have redundant coverage- that way, if someone tries to disable a camera, it's seen by another camera.

Here's their site- there's a notice at the bottom about buying from unauthorized sellers and they mean it. No warranty.

http://dwcc.tv/00_main/main.asp

They have smart-phone apps, too. The iPhone app ( works with iPad, too- that's how I got a referral job last year) is real-time, with motion. The Blackberry app is snapshot and needs to be refreshed in order to see any change.