Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 mastercraft stars and stripes 351w
85 Stars and Stripes

I just fired the boat up today. It won't stay idling. And I have a gas leak coming from the front of the motor. Dose the fuel pump have a weep hole for when it goes bad. And I had te carb rebuilt last summer. So an help would be great. It's an 85 351w 1091 hrs. Stock. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneday View Post
I just fired the boat up today. It won't stay idling. And I have a gas leak coming from the front of the motor. Dose the fuel pump have a weep hole for when it goes bad. And I had te carb rebuilt last summer. So an help would be great. It's an 85 351w 1091 hrs. Stock. Thanks.
There is no gas route on the front of the engine.

Fuel pump does not have a weep hole. "BOOM".. lol...

Can you not look at the engine and find the specific source of the leak? I mean, how hard is it to find the leak? Typically the places for a leak are each end of the hard fuel line (threaded connections) from the pump to the carb. After that, it becomes a carb issue for leaking but that is not on the front of the engine.
Don't go tightening any connections with a huge amount of torque to see if that eliminates the leak. The threads are soft. No need stripping a connection.

Fire up the engine again and look in the area on top of the fuel pump where the line goes from the pump to the carb. The pump would be on the side of the engine. Go from there. It can only be in one of a few places and a quick glance should do the job. Place something over the adjacent carpet so as not to get fuel on it and soil a spot. Gas is unforgiving on carpet.

No smoking...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I agree with cloaked. Most likely the connections on the fuel line between the fuel pump and carb. My connection at the carb seems to seep every few years. Ski dim sells a replacement gasket, flange and fuel line.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
When you say you "have a gas leak coming from the front of the motor", where exactly are you seeing the fuel?

Definitely need to find the source for that fuel leak immediately. I would make a thorough inspection before starting the engine again. If that turns up nothing, I would start it momentarily, then look for the source of the leak. As stated above, the fuel line connection is a common source for leaks. Keeping a fire extinguisher handy is always a good plan when dealing with fuel system problems. have a flashlight and a paper towel or two in hand to look for leaks. Sometimes wiping areas with the paper towel will help you track down a leak. There is an overflow line that is supposed to go from the fuel pump to the flame arrestor in case of a ruptured fuel pump diaphragm.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com