Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 12-28-2012, 04:50 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '92 190 Prostar and the new project '05 X Star (Indmar 350 MCX)
2005 XStar steering cable replacement

Can anyone lay out the steps for replacing the steering cable on the above boat? The engine is out so hopefully the stern end will be easy, I'm more confused about what needs to happen at the dashboard end (do I need to take the dash out, steering wheel off etc).

I did have a search through the forum but couldn't see any steps for replacing the cable.

In return I'll add some photos so this can be a helpful thread!

Cheers... Adrian
Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 AM
TT Regular

Would this be the unit fitted on the Xstar? My reading for the part number for a new cable is: SSC13417 (the last two digits signifying the length in feet).

http://sierramarine.com/sierra/searc...alog00065.html
Old 12-28-2012, 03:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
The steering cable has rack under the dash it's you just undo the bolts an fish the cable threw but make sure you pull a rope or the likes so you can attach the new cable to it to fish it back into place once you have the cable out you will see a teleflex number stamped in white on the cable most likely ccs or cxx being the first part of the part number
Old 12-29-2012, 05:53 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjag941 View Post
The steering cable has rack under the dash it's you just undo the bolts an fish the cable threw but make sure you pull a rope or the likes so you can attach the new cable to it to fish it back into place once you have the cable out you will see a teleflex number stamped in white on the cable most likely ccs or cxx being the first part of the part number
Thanks, does the rack come off as well, or do you just detach the cable from the rack?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
It comes off with the cable it mounts to the underside of the helm
Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjag941 View Post
I've been playing with the boat today and got the fitting off at the helm end, reasonably easy, just four bolts. Problem is the rack comes off as well, which leaves a rather large piece of metal (the rack that bolts to the helm) that needs to go through the bulkhead behind the dash.

Do you guys pull the rack end through to the back of the boat, or do you pull the rudder end through the helm?

Oh, and the part number stamped on my steering cable is SSC15424 (the ast two digits signify the length in feet apparently). And here's the link to one (from Waterskis.com): http://www.waterskis.com/100863-p/24...ring_cable.htm
Old 12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
What I normally do is disconnect the old unit and pull it through torwards the rack with a rope no thicker than the cable tied to it. Tie the other end to the rudder to make sure it doesn't come along for the ride. Then when you've pulled the old unit out you can tie the rope back to the new unit and tug away back to the rudder end. You'll never get the rack end through. Have a friend help you as some push/pull makes it ALOT easier. Maybe its easier on a beast like a star but for the PS's a 2nd person and a 6 pack def helps.

Last edited by 02ProstarSammyD; 12-31-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:39 AM
TT Regular

Ok all done. Wasn't too difficult. I followed the tip of tieing something to the end of the old cable (I used a cable running tool called a Gardner Bender - from Home Depot, it worked well as it's semi-rigid). I we pulled the cable through from the helm (as you can't get the rack end through the bulkhead behind the helm).

I've attached some pics for anyone who's planning to change their own cable...

Pic 1 shows the rack part of the cable (this bolts to the pinion on the back of the steering wheel, a replacement is part of a new cable).

Pic 2 is the tool I used to follow the old cable out and pull the new one through

Pic 3 shows how the rack is bolted to the pinion at the helm (steering wheel)

Pic 4 shows the helm / pinion with the rack removed (it's just four bolts)
Attached Images

Tags
xstar steering cable