Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by coz View Post
Nice post Kyle, I'm with ya brutha, but lets say surfing behind a boat is lame If they could create a wave like this I'd be all over it, but a weak 12mph thigh high (and that's considered big) wake isn't fun to us.

I am on the +1 side of this...maybe not so strong in opinion...
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Guys I am not mad and was not drunk or on the rag.

It takes no skill and if it was then it would be here. http://www.usawaterski.org/

But it is NOT

Coz: now that is surfing. I would try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Wow let me get this straight. The surfers are now solely responsible for capsizing small boats, tearing up shorelines and causing dock/pier damage. And apparently the only reason people have had to put up sea walls was because of people in boats surfing. Really. If you really believe that then we might as well add global warming and evasive species to the list too.

Look it's hard to argue that poor judgement by any operator can and will cause problems but wake issues have been with us for a long time for all the same reasons. Realistically some wally out for a Sunday afternoon ride in his 23' Wellcraft tooling around half planed is going to throw a monster wake as will the guys out there running around in their wakeboard set up with stock plus a thousand pounds of additional ballast. Worse yet on the later the wake is being generated at a much higher rate of speed. Even us small wake slalom skiers can not escape responsibility as our courses are typically set in shallow water and many times right next to wet lands that will help dissipate the wake. That wake while small is generated a 30 plus MPH and has a tendency of tearing up delicate wetland areas.

As for our innocent tree hugging canoe and kayakers..... I thought the jetski crowd had the corner on ignorance but I have been proved wrong once again with the recent emergence of this group of boaters. There isn't a summer weekend that goes by without a close call with someone in this group. I've seen them out on our lake mid day trying to cross the lake in boat traffic that I wouldn't consider going out in. Most times not wearing life jackets and sometimes with small children in hard to see boats in colors like white, blue or my personal favorite camo.

In the end it's up to all of us to be responsible for our boats, passengers and our wakes. Let's try to resist the urge to create more unnecessary knee jerk reaction rules/laws and enforce the laws that are on the books right now. Whether you're a fan of surfing or not it doesn't matter as be certain that someone out there won't like the type of boating you like and you could be on the other end of the stick one day.

Sorry to go off on a Friday rant here but it's been some time since I've been able to go skiing and I'm a bit wound up. Besides who knows I could be completely wrong.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-30
Continuing off topic...but sorta on topic too...

Most folks who can actually afford a high end wakeboard boat are nearing the age where wake boarding is very hard on your old aching body. So for me in my 40s I was thrilled to see a new sport that was really fun and had very low injury potential arise.

A tad more on topic is the idea that a great surf and wake boarding boat are not mutually exclusive.. Currently Pretty much all good surfing boats wakeboard great, but the converse is not true. There are plenty of good wakeboard boats that do not surf well. What I want as a customer is for the companies to create boats that continue to be innovative in both sports and add technology that is complimentary to both sports. Obviously, Tige, Malibu, and now CC are working hard on those innovations. I actually think and hope Mastercraft is too with hulls that produce awesome surf wakes like the new X-30. (My order is pending )

I'll admit wake boarding is a blast and has a nearly endless learning curve where you can always progress, but surfing has plenty of growth potential (way more than waterskiing IMHO)

And Kyle, dropping the rope isn't really where the fun begins.. I have taught a lot of wake boarders how to surf and with a proper setup and good wave they all had a blast! Admittedly setting up the boat correctly hugely impacts your impression of the sport.

At the end of the day these boat manufactures want to sell boats to guys like me... And I wouldn't think of buying one that didn't have a great surf wave...
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I'm still waiting for a boat maker to come out with a teak surfing design that won't kill me, and for USAWS to offer it as the 4th supported discipline

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Guys I am not mad and was not drunk or on the rag.

It takes no skill and if it was then it would be here. http://www.usawaterski.org/

But it is NOT

Coz: now that is surfing. I would try that.
He so mad!! How many of those sports weren't on there 10 15 20 25 30 years ago?

But it will be. You sooo foaming mad!!!

Last edited by CantRepeat; 01-04-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, X-45, 2006, LQ9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
He so mad!! How many of those sports weren't on there 10 15 20 25 30 years ago?

But it will be. You sooo foaming mad!!!
Is there knee boarding on that website! Yeah, that takes a ton of skill! My 6 year old can do that with a spin!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:33 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Last edited by Kyle; 01-05-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:47 AM
MC Maniac

You guys are missing the point.

If Mastercraft had never built a 3 event boat, then NONE of us would have a Mastercraft today. The brand never would have survived.

Let's have a history lesson here.

We first have slalom, trick and jump. We also introduce Barefooting soon after.

Mastercraft builds only a 3 event boat for over 20+ years.

The skiers eventually had problems getting to perfect glass water, private lakes, practice times in ideal conditions. Then we create wakeboarding.

New sport evolves. It requires talent but not the strict rules of a course, perfect times, exact speeds, and no one has to do the same tricks or run the same pattern. This makes it easier to learn the tricks you want vs a set skill of 6 buoys at a set speed and shortest line legnth.

Then comes wake surfing.

This is for the washed up of the washed up lake people. The individual who has no skills but wants to have skills. The fat drunk mans sport. The sport that is for the lazy who doesn't want to get winded or out of breath.

Seriously no athletic ability is needed. It is a sport for the person who has their refrigerator next to their recliner in the living room.

If you surfers want to moan about my statements then fine.

A three event skier can pick up any other waterski activity.

Look at Geno Yauchler... The man can run a slalom course, barefoot, trick ski like pimp daddy, jump, wakeboard, and has the world record in sky ski. I'm sure he can surf as that takes no skill. He was a 3 event skier

How many surfers can sky sk (inverts)i, wake board (inverts), trick ski, run a slalom course, barefoot, and jump?

Surfing is for the guy who is a lazy and doesn't not habe the skills to be a real skier.

All in all. Wakeboarding was created because slalom eas too hard. Then surfing was created because wakeboarding was too hard. The next sport will be just launching a boat because surfing is too hard.

I want to make a shirt that would say

I can't do 3 event and I suck at wakeboarding so I took up surfing.

Surfing is for the never will be's, just like tubing.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Kyle; 01-05-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 AM

Boat: 06 X30
wow, still foaming!!