Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
I'm pretty sure they are more concerned with your check clearing....you having fun with your boat comes a very distant 2nd!
Folks, we have a winner.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
You guys have this all wrong.

I have lots of surfer friends. They surf and it drives me crazy. They go surf and I go to the island park and chase tale while having a beer. I don't hate surfers, I hate their wake.

Guys, be honest with yourselves. The generation now of boaters surf because it is easy. They learn to surf and that is it. Why? Because wakeboarding or 3 event is too hard. So they take the path of least resistance and choose the easiest way out.
I don't particulary care much for surfing either. But look at it this way. I (used to) go out a lot of days with a boat full of people that had never tried any tow sport. (I have others that I go out with just to ski) Nor did or would they have much opportunity to in the future. From litle kids to parents, I could pretty much get them all surfing. If I had to try to teach them to get up on a board or ski's it would ruin my day with all the frustration.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
I think wakesurfing is kind of cool, but I will admit ive never tried it.

As far as saying it requires no skill, well the same can be said for water skiing and wakeboarding and skiing and snowboarding......if all you are doing is just cruising behind the boat.

Nothing in its conception is ever good. Its the evolution of sport that will make it awesome one day. It just needs time
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
I'm down with kyles rant and what he feels about the "sport" of wake surfing, but here is my take on it; I wake surf for a completely different reason. See, like most of you guys on this board, I have this "thing" that happens to me mentally when I get up on a slalom or a wakeboard. It's like a 12 year old demon possesses my every action and I end up doing things a 54 year old should never do. I'll try and do anything and probably should not be at this age, but there is just no reasoning with that 12 year old...I'm a victim just along for the ride until I break, pull, fracture, cut, bruise or turn something. Wake surfing allows me to just go and ride and the 12 year old demon stays in the boat.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:33 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X30
How about this video from TransWorld using a new MasterCraft with Gen 2........
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153858025125022
Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2009 MCX
A neighbour of mine just bought a Tige with the Convex VX technology. I don't like the look of this hull extension, but the technology sounds interesting and the wake it produces looks very clean. I am interested to see it in person later this summer. I hope Mastercraft develops some leading edge technology for wakesurfing...Gen2 seems like slight improvement on an old idea.

Here is a video on the Convex VX
http://youtu.be/FxmpSlBjA9w
Old 06-24-2014, 12:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Convex vx is the dumbest idea ive ever heard. Its pretty much just a hull extension! No props to tige at all for that. Almost as good of an idea as the ASR lol
Old 06-24-2014, 01:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
How did I miss out on 19 pages of a surf bashing thread? Love it!

BUMP!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, x45, 2006, 8.1L
Wow, I actually read through all this....funny and painful. Really disappointed in the surf bashing though, especially considering people buy boats for 100 reasons and if they have the money to do it why bash their reasons. I never grew up with access to slalom courses nor really wake boarding to any extent. But I would never bash (or call fat, lazy, etc.) people who only wanted to do either of these, its pretty incredible watching both.

But kike it or not, surfing is the most popular (by FAR) sport on our lake, and is the fastest growing segment of the industry (surf specific boats/systems/boards anyone?). I would say 2 out of 3 water sport boats are surfing. Look surfing is super fun, great for friends who don't get to the lake much, great for kids, great for the babes to try and as challenging as you want to make it. Yeah, after 5 to 10 tries pretty much anyone can stay in the wave, drop the rope and maybe even carve a little but shuvs, spins, heel side, deck starts, airs...they are fun and fun to watch and tough. Sure, somebody that has been doing wakeboarding and slalom skiing their entire life, or comes from the snowboard or west coast surf camp will probably pick it up faster (no $*&T sherlock) but for the average Joe it is a fun and achievable challenge to land some of these tricks.

Better yet, most of the people I know are already in their mid to upper 30's or older by the time they can swing the wake boat anyways. They have kids and family and haven't spent 100 hours a week on the course. What better way than to get friends together and do a sport that is fun, good exercise and low impact.

And yeah it is terrible with loading a bunch of friends in a boat, going slow enough to converse with one another and have some laughs on the water. I don't remember the sign that read the lake days were supposed to be "hard resistance" or to choose the hardest road. Who the hell wants to pack a cooler and head out for a day of 7 concussions, 4 cracked vertebrae, broken leg, blah blah. Not me and not anyone I know, even if that means I get called fat, lazy and not a man or whatever nonsense that was.

Good rant(s) tho, props to everyone who does any of these sports and has fun doing it. More power to ya'.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
All I know is that I hope I don't see one of these on the lake we ski screwing up my smooth water and throwing waves that will swamp my open bow direct drive and eroding the shore line.... Just sayin....
amen brother