Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-18-2013, 05:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Stars and Stripes 1980
Wow amazing boat, congrats
Old 06-21-2013, 12:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001
Hey Chief, had to check in and see how your project was going. Awesome to see it wet! Nice spot you got there, looks amazing.
Congrats and enjoy it!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Hey Chief, Congrats on getting the boat running and in the water! You will love the 209!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
awesome job

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 06-23-2013, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
I'm Loving it for sure, still amazed at how smooth it is running and driving.

The only thing I'm not loving is this.

This weeks progress was minimal, I've been scrubbing interior pieces and piecing it back together. I tried to pressure wash the carpet with a mix of peroxide and dawn dish soap and didn't really get it to come much cleaner. Still trying to figure out the magic solution for rust stain removal. Next try will be lemon juice based. Totally Awesome, Mold Armor and Barkeepers friend didn't even phase the pesky rust stains. Barkeepers was the magic formula for rust stains on vinyl though.

I still have a ton of work to do on her, my short list includes:

Scrub and install bow interior and rear ski locker carpeted panels.

Fix the speedo, so I can see if my Perfect Pass is working.

Install the ballast system. Both my pumps were inop and I have been cheap and trying to repair instead of replace. I ended up buying a Johnson from wakemakers and then found one here for 30 bucks cheaper.

Sand, buff, wax repeat. I bought a buffer but am going to wait awhile to use it, I put all this work into it because I want to ski and board, not worry about oxidized and scratched gel. I'll probably give it an initial buff job in a week or two just to see where I stand with the condition of the gel.

Still plenty of cleaning to do, including another date with a more aggressive pressure washer for the carpet.

We bought a new Accurate A-line wakeboard rope from overpricedtons.

I'm disappointed it only shortens to 70ft. I think my sweet spot for this boat at 21mph is 65 feet so I'm a bit frustrated. I have to hang it all out to get across both wakes in the air. I'm hoping with 800-1000lbs of ballast it will work itself out. I still need to shorten it more for the slower speeds my wife and less advanced riders will be riding. The A-line is a coated line so I can't even tie a knot in it. The Accurate chamois handle is pretty darn comfy though.

We've been breaking it up into morning and evening sessions, since we are a 20min drive to the dock, we'll go out and get a couple rides before the horde hits the lake, then go out just before dark when their numbers are fewer and there's a better chance of flat water.

Last night was beutiful, high 80's air and 70 in the water, with the Super Moon coming out. We chilled out and fiddled with a few things (I fixed the tower light.) while we lost daylight and waited to see how bright the full moon would be on the water.

Last edited by 46Chief; 06-23-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 03 MasterCraft PROSTAR 197
03 sd 209

Motor running good Chief ! That boat was only used in the course 1 time about
10 passes . No hard hours on that engine at all !
What did you do with the hull ? I still think you could cut it half and make a cool MasterCraft bar !

JJ
Old 06-23-2013, 03:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Interestingly enough the engine is the least of my stresses now. It runs really well.

I do have to sort the Perfect pass cable sometimes it binds the throttle linkage and idles a bit high.

I was trying to talk my buddy into the bar idea, now it's morphed into a toybox.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:38 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001
Don't know if you can still return the line/handle, but the X-Line is the same as the A-line just shorter.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Great work on this; I applaud you guys who take on these project boats...having a young kid and a pregnant wife doesn't allow me too much time to fiddle! Since my boat is a 2000 I do have some work to do, thanks for the tip about the Barkeeper's Friend; I've got a random rust stain on the top of my driver's seat that TA couldn't deal with.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Whats the latest update? I hope you are enjoying your new boat!