Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 12-31-2013, 01:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205
Carpet Whoas

I've removed the carpet in my '97 Prostar 205 and will look to replace it in the spring. Does anyone have the steps to removing the deck completely to install? What am I getting myself into? Is this even the right choice. I'm not sure how I would get room to slide it back under everything with glue etc.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:04 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Removing the entire deck would be a major undertaking.

The key is when you do get it all remove is that your lift it without flexing it. Some people here did by just gently lifting deck where it met the floor - ever so gently. There are some pics somewhere here on this forum.

I had a friend detach his deck when he redid his gas tank on his Moomba - had 7 friends lift the deck after he had it detached.

He said after removing all the fasteners - cutting the adhesive at the deck hull union.

I plan on doing by not replacing all cut out what I want to replace us as templates - dry fit and then glue down. - look in restoration thread someone is undertaking this right now.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=56789

maybe you and PM Wingnut and ask if his installer separated deck from hull.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
removing the top cap to replace the carpet would be a huge job . I have only done this once on a smaller restoration project and wouldn't want to repeat it unless it was absolutely necessary . that being said we may be doing it on a 1980 skier of a friend of mines this summer
Old 12-31-2013, 02:41 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by atihanyi View Post
removing the top cap to replace the carpet would be a huge job . I have only done this once on a smaller restoration project and wouldn't want to repeat it unless it was absolutely necessary . that being said we may be doing it on a 1980 skier of a friend of mines this summer
I'm never doing it again!!!... well maybe....
Old 12-31-2013, 03:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
I may be out on a skinny limb here but here's what I have done in the past....There is a carpet tool for success. It's a carpet hook knife that allows you to get under the lip of the deck (sitting on the floor) to cut and remove the 1/2" - 1" of carpet (under the lip) and make room for the new. Lift the deck lip up with a wide-face pry bar, just enough to cut under the lip and later lay in a new piece and conceal the edge (and secure from ravel). You can raise other areas with a bottle jack where allowed (passenger seat areas where you lift with the jack on the upper part of the deck and allow room for the lip to raise more easily) to lift more edging and a little breathing room. Pretty much a done deal. It's not hard, just a bit time consuming and tedious. Remove your current carpet as much in one piece as possible to use as a template to cut the new.

$0.02 no guarantees...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 12-31-2013, 04:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205
Thanks everyone
Old 12-31-2013, 05:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
I would do snap in carpet

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...pincarpet.com/
Old 01-30-2014, 04:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 M/C 205, 5.7 TBI
Prider- you dont have to separate the deck. However a small sissor jack or bottle jack as CLOAKED suggested is how I did it. I put a 2x4 cut to the correct length on top of the jack and under the upper corners of the deck by the dash is how I raised the decking up 1/2" enuf to get the carpet in and out from the bow portion. on the observer seat it just used a pry bar to gently lift up and slide the carpet under. then did trimming to piece together. Not the easiest but darn easier than separating the deck and hull to get at it.

Last edited by Wingnut; 01-30-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling/correction