Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
02pro - you are so correct. I had a nice discussion with the folks in the MC booth. However, they could do something to take a chunk out of the Tahoe type segment - possibly a new brand like Axis. Lexus did come come out with the Yaris. When I was in Japan I saw all the Lexus models (many years ago now) as Toyota

Segmentation good bring them some more revenue ....I don't have enough info to make an educated assessment of what it would take for them to introduce a new brand like Malibu did with Axis. But not enough market data to see if they are really missing out on an opportunity.

Anyway I love the MC's gadgets and all...This topic comes up every year here in the winter. I would love to buy new - that being said I need to make changes to get to that segment of the MC new buyer demographic - I so enjoyed the X-25 and PS pictured below.... I want both ...or a friend with an new X-25 and I get the PS214 -
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft XStar, 08, LY6; MasterCraft ProStar 190, 91, Ford Mustang;
Smitty, understand what is your point. That is why I choose to go with an 08 Star (as a wakeboarder I think I need exactly what it has onboard, not more), if I where a skier I would go with a classy PS 197. But the majority of the folks out there seems to look at bling (I heard that 90% of the buyers of X Stars don't really know how to wakeboard).

As I understood the Maristar lineup was the basic, classy hull. In example the Maristar 210. If you wanted more features/bling than you would choose to go with an X10 (result was to get a non optimal hull for wakeboarding (but for surfing) with all the bling that would make turn the heads of non informed people.
How they handle it today I don't know, guess it is about just choosing the right options for what your needs are.

Just as a side comment: I don't think that MC is any better re quality than other US hand made manufacturers out there as you point it out. You seem to have well studied their marketing proposals. In my point of view MC is leading re design and style, CC is better in quality and well tested products (but you can't look at them, only with darc sunglasses )

Hand made in US seems to be (in my point of view) more a downside than something they should marketing on. Unfortunately they have not enough quantity that it would be worth to install an automated production with much better tolerances and steadyness in terms of production. I remember when I installed a Monster Tower on my Prostar 190 '91, I was measuring inside the hull to get the mounting points for the tower, I was really shocked how uneaven the hull was produced, you can't see it, but by measuring exactly, you will discover some surprises...
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft XStar, 08, LY6; MasterCraft ProStar 190, 91, Ford Mustang;
Yep, 02 Pro, but let's check the prices of '12 models in a couple years, I bet they will be lower than the ones of older year models...due to people knowing that they will buy lots of troubles with the boat because of zhe electronics that suck...

I don't think that thread should be turned into "you don't like the new bling because you cannot aford it"...

The good thing: someone seems to got motivated to really do everything possible to change into a certain class to be able to buy new and that is what the economy needs: people doing their best to fulfill their dreams. I think that is what it is all about, the industry needs to reinvent the weel year by year to get the necessary sales, what would happen if everyone would stay whit it's 20 year old boat?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
02pro - you are so correct. I had a nice discussion with the folks in the MC booth. However, they could do something to take a chunk out of the Tahoe type segment - possibly a new brand like Axis. Lexus did come come out with the Yaris. When I was in Japan I saw all the Lexus models (many years ago now) as Toyota
No doubt. Axis/malibu, lexus/toyota are great examples of what to do. I agree 100% with that and maybe they will go that direction.

Here's what bothers me more than anything. I spend 3k on interior on my boat and have a fully functional PS that looks as good as the one in the pic. Sure I have 500 more hours on it but everything works perfect...................and its well below my price range.

Then I look at the 25. God I would love a Vdrive MC. If I went to buy that boat and traded mine in I'm still writing a 100k check. EXCUSE ME? I understand that the 25 is tits but you aren't getting into a 22' mc for less than both baby makers, my first born, and an indecent proposal. Heck I'd have to sell my busted liver just to get some fender holders while I was picking my options.

Point being that you can go get an older MC ski boat, throw some new skins in it and boom you have a new to you boat. When you want a v drive the options suck! You are looking at 35-40k for anything that resembles modern style and its going to be a 7-10 year old boat. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I'm not saying an Axis is perfect and quite frankly I think some parts of them look like cheap chit but there's a few options at 40-50k. Malibu is shooting 45-50k boats off the line don't see why mc can't. I'M SICK OF HUMPING THE HUMP MC! Get me an affordable Vdrive now!

Dear MC,
I'm going to the boat show in a month. As a loyal customer I expect an answer by then or I'm gonna start slumming with the girls that put out.

Quote:
Yep, 02 Pro, but let's check the prices of '12 models in a couple years, I bet they will be lower than the ones of older year models...due to people knowing that they will buy lots of troubles with the boat because of zhe electronics that suck...
LOL thanks for that. Hey the 100k+ boats will depreciate more b/c people know they have problems. OMFG I'm on the floor laughing. Maybe I'm completely out of place in saying what I've said on this board and I'm sure MC doesn't appreciate my opinion but I really don't care. I'm brand loyal but my wallet isn't. At some point soon I'm gonna buy a new boat and traditionally my wallet wins the argument over what I buy. I can't see a touch screen 70' behind the boat!

Quote:
I think that is what it is all about, the industry needs to reinvent the weel year by year to get the necessary sales, what would happen if everyone would stay whit it's 20 year old boat?
BINGO! The economy is not getting better no matter what Obama says. Sales have got to be hurting with these kind of % jumps in price.

Last edited by 02ProstarSammyD; 01-17-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
Axis is not a $100k boat but its not less than $60k anymore either
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStar08 View Post
Just as a side comment: I don't think that MC is any better re quality than other US hand made manufacturers out there as you point it out. You seem to have well studied their marketing proposals. In my point of view MC is leading re design and style, CC is better in quality and well tested products (but you can't look at them, only with darc sunglasses )
When boating I mostly see older MC, CC's and BU's in that order on my waterways. I do believe there is quality difference. I have yet to see a 5 year old Tahoe on the water. I have a friend with a 10 year old Rinker...and it looks old...runs well(mercruiser) - not used much. But the Gel and interior not as nice shape as my MC. Major difference I noted is when bouncing on waves...lot's of flex and rattle on rinker... and I flex and rattle on my MC PS

We'll see what the new CEO does... hey a new X-25 only costs $527 month with a 5% rate...I'll let you all calculate the term .

Remember it's a boat... here's a 65K Pontoon...lol... models not included... and actually talent better on our swim suit thread.

"Please remember posting guidelines when posting on this thread..."
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStar08 View Post
(I heard that 90% of the buyers of X Stars don't really know how to wakeboard).
whats wakeboarding?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Axis is not a $100k boat but its not less than $60k anymore either
Calling bs on that. You aren't getting loaded for less than 60 but you'll be on the water. Also please see sanger, moomba, mb

My company agrees that I shouldn't even look at moomba though

Quote:
When boating I mostly see older MC, CC's and BU's in that order on my waterways. I do believe there is quality difference.
All the early 2000 MC's look great b/c the interiors have all been replaced lol. I agree that these 3 are the best in build quality. I see alot of older moombas and tiges on the water and most look crappy but it seems both have stepped up their games exponentially in product quality. By no means is it apples to apples but they are getting better

Quote:
We'll see what the new CEO does... hey a new X-25 only costs $527 month with a 5% rate...I'll let you all calculate the term .
I'm guessing either you or the boat dies before the terms end haha
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post

Dear MC,
I'm going to the boat show in a month. As a loyal customer I expect an answer by then or I'm gonna start slumming with the girls that put out.

LOL thanks for that. Hey the 100k+ boats will depreciate more b/c people know they have problems. OMFG I'm on the floor laughing. Maybe I'm completely out of place in saying what I've said on this board and I'm sure MC doesn't appreciate my opinion but I really don't care. I'm brand loyal but my wallet isn't. At some point soon I'm gonna buy a new boat and traditionally my wallet wins the argument over what I buy. I can't see a touch screen 70' behind the boat!

BINGO! The economy is not getting better no matter what Obama says. Sales have got to be hurting with these kind of % jumps in price.
Obviously MC not marketing to us who don't fit the demo graphics and segments they are targeting. There are many players out there and if you're shopping with your wallet you will make different choices.

For a skiing purist like me -- for now... Most of us can refit and re-power our ladies for a fraction of the cost of new. I am not competing in slalom or wake..so all I need is a nice hull, a driver and motor... (yes a spotter too...)

FWIW.....At least I was not snubbed in the MC booth like I was in the Chris Craft booth when I wanted to talk about the Lancer 20. $60K boat. I asked the rep to tell me about the Lancer - he wasn't talking with anyone else booth was empty...His words.. - "yeah it's over there... all the info you need is on the tag..."

The guys at Chicago MC were great even though I was not buying.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
For a skiing purist like me -- for now... Most of us can refit and re-power our ladies for a fraction of the cost of new. I am not competing in slalom or wake..so all I need is a nice hull, a driver and motor... (yes a spotter too...)
Kind of my point though. Not to be too stereotypical here but traditionally the ski guys have a few years on them.....the options are endless for cheaper boats. Usually the older guys have saved the $ and become more financially stable than the younger demographic who wants to wakeboard/surf. I'm in the middle b/c I couldn't afford an MC til I was 25/26 and it was an older ps. Seems to me every company would be gunning for the younger crowd. Who are your brand loyal fanboys gonna be for the next 30 years? Entry level is how you hook someone. If you are young and can afford 100k go for it. I hate you and I hope you stump your toe but I just don't see that demographic being as large.