Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Find A Pull / Give a Pull

Old 09-02-2004, 06:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190-Its red
IL Ski Clubs/Private Ski Lakes

Are there any IL ski clubs or lakes nearby? Just wondering...

92 PS190 - Its red.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: PS190
iwsf

http://iwsf.waterski.org/
Old 09-03-2004, 02:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Chain of Lakes (Antioch) - Too many boats and drunk peopl on the weekends. Not too easy to find flat water. Alot of debris in the water.

Fox River (St. Charles) - Few boaters if you get there earley on the weekends. Hardly anyone out during the week. Good runs for footin'. Some debris but nothing to note...oh, there are those occassional 3 eyed squirrels

Fox River (Algonquin) - Never ski'd there but a few buddies have. Nothing to report.

Illinois River (Wilmington / Morris) - Never ski'd there but buddies of mine have. Summer weekends are sometimes crowded but if you get there early and head south, open water is there for footin' or slalom. Watch for the occassional barge or two floating through the canals.

Other than that, there is not much around the Chicago area unless you head far west or south. There are some lakes near the IL / WI border. Aslo a few over the boarder near Lake Geneva and Lake Como. Also, one in Burlington.

We did ski once a few years back downtown on the Chicago River from the locks to the Canal Street area. You can't do that unless you have a permit. That was fun.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:10 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: '95 ProStar 205
We've found the Chain of Lakes to be the best bet - but you have to be out early before the crazies come out. There is a course in Johnsburg off of the river. The course is back in a very shallow bay, conditions are typically pretty good until mid-day. The agreement with the homes near the course is to not start before 8:00AM.

There are a number of nice lakes in southern WI. Many are time restricted, meaning no wake until 10:00, which typically mean no smooth water.

There are a few private lakes with clubs on them, but by and large they are pretty closed communities.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 Prostar 205
Bill,

I have always been apprehensive about using their course. Are you sure it's OK? I realize it's in a public waterway, but I try to be a curtious skiier.

By the way, the Fox River Algonquin to the Chain Locks are good for skiing week nights or weekend mornings. Again, after 11am traffic starts picking up quickly.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '85 S&S
I grew up on the Chain and have skied that course a couple of times without any trouble. It gets really shallow toward the west end of the course. You will sink up to your Knees in muck if you go down.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '95 ProStar 205
The course is put in and taken out by a number of skiers who do not live in that area - thus the reason to be respectful of the noise, time ... There is one old Stars and Stripes that comes out occassionally, but we have not seen him all year. The people that ski regularly (such as us) keep a few buoys on board for course repair. That cove is also popular with waverunners. In the morning there typical are no issues but as the day goes on you can often be fighting waverunner rollers. We've had a few issues with some of them who pull right into the course while we've been skiing or making the turnaround.

The other post is correct about the area being very shallow, outside of the boat the lane its 2-3 feet deep,soft mud bottom. I'm not aware of anyone who has hurt themselves because of the depth, but I've plugged my ski on more than once.

Feel free to use it - you'll find the other skiers to be very friendly.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 Mastercraft ProStar 190 with 305 HP Chevy 350
Central IL??

I'm from Central IL and am still looking for good places to go. I am from Peoria originially and therefore use the Illinois River there, but it can get very rough. I live in Champaign and would love to find water around here, but the only places are more than an hour away. I know Lake Shelbyville is good when it is not busy, and I have head Lake Clinton can be good but is restrictive on skiing. Anybody heard of anywhere else?

Tim
Old 09-24-2004, 08:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '85 S&S
I am on Lake Springfield most every weekend and it can be pretty good if you get out in the morning on the weekends. Weekday evenings are also very good. It would still be about a 1.5 hour drive from Cham-bana.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:55 PM
TT Newbie

There are several private ski lakes around kankakee and joliet.

As for the Chicago area... you are just out of luck looking for good water unless you dig your own lake. The chain can be acceptable at times and the river is great for footing at sunrise, but it is not consistantly good.

Maybe we can get 10 people or so and we can dig a lake of our own. All you need is 15 acres and you could build a decent lake with a course and a ramp. Would be PERFECT!

Last edited by martho; 09-26-2004 at 10:59 PM.