Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 205v
1999 205v Snapped Shaft

Hi Guys

out the other day and under load sheared the shaft up buy the couple'r, don't think i have hit anything, looks like it may have had a crack from a past incident though, probpflew back and hit the rudder but have beaten out the dents and looks ok, cant tell if the blades have bent more than than just the nicks though,

any way its summer here in New Zealand and i need to get a shaft over ASAP as no one in NZ stocks them.

i have pulled and measured the shaft and PLEASE correct me if im worng but what im looking for is a 52.5 inch by 1 1/8 Dual taper,

if i ended up needing a Prob its an OJ 4 blade it say 14 and 16 on it, so i think i am looking at a LH 14 x 16?

found these sites.

http://www.charlotteskiboats.com/mas...&CurrentPage=1

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1011

any help would be awesome thanks.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganb View Post
Hi Guys

out the other day and under load sheared the shaft up buy the couple'r, don't think i have hit anything, looks like it may have had a crack from a past incident though, probpflew back and hit the rudder but have beaten out the dents and looks ok, cant tell if the blades have bent more than than just the nicks though,

any way its summer here in New Zealand and i need to get a shaft over ASAP as no one in NZ stocks them.

i have pulled and measured the shaft and PLEASE correct me if im worng but what im looking for is a 52.5 inch by 1 1/8 Dual taper,

if i ended up needing a Prob its an OJ 4 blade it say 14 and 16 on it, so i think i am looking at a LH 14 x 16?

found these sites.

http://www.charlotteskiboats.com/mas...&CurrentPage=1

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1011

any help would be awesome thanks.
I cannot verify the parts but both places of business are reputable and come recommended by many here. Personally, I endorse Discount Inboard Marine exclusively ( www.skidim.com ) as are the same folks in your link for the shaft.

If you need a like-for-like shaft and have measured, that should do the trick. SkiDim is as good as they get for service and sales.

Your prop preference may vary with size unless you know exactly what you want. The rotation is probably LH. A Ford or Chevrolet engine in a Mastercraft are typically LH rotation. The specs should be stamped on the prop so a match there would be easy. Any nick or ding on a prop will give you less than excellent performance and usually create a vibration. Have it rebuilt and balanced by a professional and it should work just fine.

The OJ props are good props, as well as the Acme props. Skidim has OJ props as well as the Acme props. They will ship international, stand behind their sales and provide excellent customer service.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 12-27-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Check your engine alignment at the coupler too. The broken shaft could be from the stress of poor alignment.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
Check your engine alignment at the coupler too. The broken shaft could be from the stress of poor alignment.
Yea that crossed my mind, there has been no vibration last summer, this summer i had noticed a small vibration jsut off the plain and it snapped on the 1st board, would alignment be likley to change between seasons?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
With the jolts our boats take in rough water, I'm surprised things stay in place as well as they do.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Sportstar 19/305 Chevy Indmar (4160 Carbed)
Another place to get the shaft you are looking for is Bakes Marine. I just finished this major process with their great assistance. Shipping will not be cheap from anyone. SKIDIM didn't have the one I needed available for a couple of weeks in my case. They are always my first choice though.

http://www.bakesmarine.com/InboardRepair/

And, you may want to order new cutlass bearings as they are not expensive and may need to be changed out (mine did), AND perhaps install a dripless shaftseal which are also available there. They have the OJ system, but I went with the PSS system. TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Last edited by mcparadise; 12-28-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Sportstar 19/305 Chevy Indmar (4160 Carbed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganb View Post
Yea that crossed my mind, there has been no vibration last summer, this summer i had noticed a small vibration jsut off the plain and it snapped on the 1st board, would alignment be likley to change between seasons?
FWIW, one thing you might also want to do is to measure alignment at the coupler before you pull the shaft. My marine mechanic simply loosened the bolts there and used a thickness gage to check. The gap should probably be within 3 thousands among the 4 readings (90-degrees apart). BUT, check your manual to ensure your spec.

Sorry missed table rocker's sound advice before I posted.

Last edited by mcparadise; 12-28-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: EPIC 23v
Just a word of advice don't rely on "feel" for determining whether the alignment is right as the picture below is off a boat I just did an alignment on and it felt totally normal but when I was doing a fuel filter change for the customer I noticed that the engine transmission wasn't centred in the boat so checked the alignment. BTW just posted a comment re this this morning here Pure Inboards Facebook page Also if you have any questions feel free to call on (021) 426 722 as I am a MC service agent here in NZ.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Ha, checking alignment at the coupler with a broken shaft wont tell you much!

I would suspect misalignment as the root cause of the failure as well. By side loading the tranny and drivetrain, it will actually dampen any vibration, not create it.

Definitely realign everything upon reinstallation. Alignment starts at the strut and moves forward. If you dont grasp the concept, then either read until you do or take it someone else who does. The aforementioned "mechanic" who thinks they can align properly with the coupler bolts still attached would be an unqualified individual, IMHO.

In regards to shaft length, I cant speak to the proper length shaft for your boat... but I can tell you that ARE (maker of the dual taper that SkiDIM sells) measures shafts a little differently than what you commonly see (end to end). I would get a measurement from the end of the strut to the transmission coupling and add 1/2". Tell them thats the length of the shaft you need from the front of the prop hub forward- that should be enough information for them to determine where to put the taper.