Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-28-2012, 02:48 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I also think the mainstream media needs to change, completely. I don't want them to be the de-facto source of information for most people if they continue to be biased so heavily. FACTS, not propaganda!
Rarely watch the news - I watch CNBC and Fox in the morning... then go do my research when I have the time. So much for the chronicling of events, the fact finding missions and watch dog principles of journalists.... oh I guess that why you call them pundits now. Too bad the word pundit includes expertise in its meaning.

Case in point even in non-political reporting, I read an article that we (electorate) should not be complaining about the whole fiscal cliff issue...the market is up this year... totally shocked my this article I quickly checked my 401K accounts. Sure enough I am still below my 2007 values when the S&P, Dow were at their highs and unemployment was at its low of 4.5%.

I am with JimN - enough with all the BUlk SHenanigans already!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
...biased so heavily...
Which way do you believe they are biased? I'd think that when the largest owner of Radio Stations and Billboards in the US is Clear Channel Communications, owned by Bain Capital (Mitt Romney's place of business), and the most-watched TV network in the US is FOX, known for its reactionary-conservative-slanted news channel, that you must be complaining about the conservative bias. I'm guessing that's not the case, however, because the concept of "liberal media bias" is such a heavy Fox News and Republican talking point.

In words, I completely agree with you. The bias of the media is a problem when it comes to setting the agenda for the country - and for that reason, I include non-mainstream media news in my watching habits. Ever perused foreign news organizations like Al-Jazeera for a different take on the world? It's quite an eye opener.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Which way do you believe they are biased? I'd think that when the largest owner of Radio Stations and Billboards in the US is Clear Channel Communications, owned by Bain Capital (Mitt Romney's place of business), and the most-watched TV network in the US is FOX, known for its reactionary-conservative-slanted news channel, that you must be complaining about the conservative bias. I'm guessing that's not the case, however, because the concept of "liberal media bias" is such a heavy Fox News and Republican talking point.

In words, I completely agree with you. The bias of the media is a problem when it comes to setting the agenda for the country - and for that reason, I include non-mainstream media news in my watching habits. Ever perused foreign news organizations like Al-Jazeera for a different take on the world? It's quite an eye opener.
You're completely forgetting NPR, NBC and the other left-leaning outlets that have such large audiences (remember, Jeff Immelt is the head of GE and that's the parent company of NBC). How many Conservative teachers do you know? How many union members do you know? Look at the election results from the most liberal states- they tend to be pretty heavily populated.

I know several people who came here from other countries. One, works for a local computer store group and the current location is next door to a grocery store that has a huge number of MKE public school teachers. One jumped all over him for listening to Conservative radio and then, once their discussion got to the part about taxes and income, proceeded to tell him that he doesn't have the right to spend his money as he sees fit. She and her husband, OTOH, bank everything she earns and live on his, using her benefits.

He asked of she thought Communism is a good system and she said "Yes". He responed with "It doesn't work! Don't you recognize my accent? I'm from Russia!". The kid next to me in High School freshman Algebra came here in '69, when the Soviets invaded Prague. The teacher asked if he would want to do a short Q&A, and he went up to the front of the class. Someone asked how they lived and he said, "We didn't. We existed.". His father had been one of the heads of the Physics Dept at the University of Prague. Mike is a brilliant guy- went on to work for NASA. After freshman year, he no longer took science and math classes at our school- there was nothing for him there, except independent study. The last three years, he studied these courses at Marquette University.

The one thing I agree with about the way the Communists ran things- they REQUIRED people to go to school.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post

Frank - you're just screwin' with us on this one right? ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR, do I dare MSNBC, New York Times...etc.... even though you indicate a reactionary-conservative slant for FOX - for some reason it has the highest ratings even over the Clinton News Network. BTW ( I don't care which way Robin Meade leans ) - Fox programs almost always include the views of the left - they may not always pick a strong spokesperson. However, Juan Williams was booted from NPR for political commentary. Many times he strongly debates against the right on Fox as well does Bob Beckel....yet they have not been fired...hmmmmm.....

Frank here you have run off the tracks...
Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
...The one thing I agree with about the way the Communists ran things- they REQUIRED people to go to school...

Makes me think of the old saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".

However, yes education should be available to anyone and everyone willing to make good use of it.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
Makes me think of the old saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".

However, yes education should be available to anyone and everyone willing to make good use of it.
^^ NCLB....
Old 12-28-2012, 06:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post

How is our public education system NOT available to everyone who wants to go? The problem is, too many would rather just blow off school so they can collect from the government.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Frank - you're just screwin' with us on this one right? ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR, do I dare MSNBC, New York Times...etc....
So what's your problem - that there ARE left-leaning media organizations, that there are too many left leaning media organizations, that they have too much sway over the people who disagree with you, or what? Frankly, I celebrate the left-leaning media as much as I celebrate the right-leaning media as much as I celebrate the independent media (e.g. as I mentioned before, Al-Jazeera. Ever watch it?).

What I hate is the whining that is more prevalent from the right-leaning media about the bias of the general media - it's just unseemly, especially coming from the network that's #1 in cable news shows. "We're #1, but too many people pay attention to the other guys". Really? In the world that we live in, that's what they choose to complain about?

There's nothing more audience-driven than news and the media in general - if people don't like your show, they won't watch it. Obviously, there's a bunch of people who like the Fox News channel, as well there's a bunch of people who like MSNBC. They watch it because it provides them the news and point of view they want. If there's a "liberal bias" to the media it's because that's the media people want. What would you do - tell people what they can or can't watch?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:37 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
^^ NCLB....
Yea, that was a load of crap. 100% unfunded mandate. Worked well, NOT.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
How is our public education system NOT available to everyone who wants to go? The problem is, too many would rather just blow off school so they can collect from the government.
I was thinking secondary education. You would be lucky to get a job at Walmart with only a high school deploma. Don't take this comment wrong. I think "the trades" are equally important. Just my point is that training, direction and commitment (by the individual) are needed for success.

Check out the German Education system - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Germany as an example.

Although this is somewhat off topic, it also applies as better education/training is part of what is needed to put this country back on track.

Also, the cost of seconday/post education is putting it beyond the reach of many individuals. Sure, the poor get assistance, the upper class can afford it - the middle class get raped again.

Last edited by GoneBoatN; 12-28-2012 at 06:52 PM.