Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Find A Pull / Give a Pull

Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Lake Berryessa

My wife's friend just announced she is getting married in Napa Valley in July, so we are planning on taking the motorhome and boat up there to make the wedding an extended weekend vacation. It looks like Berryessa is the largest and closest lake to the valley, but is the lake any good for skiing/boating/boarding?

Any recommendations would be helpful.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:23 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
My wife's friend just announced she is getting married in Napa Valley in July, so we are planning on taking the motorhome and boat up there to make the wedding an extended weekend vacation. It looks like Berryessa is the largest and closest lake to the valley, but is the lake any good for skiing/boating/boarding?

stay away from the Glory Hole

http://iliketowastemytime.com/bottom...dam-drain-hole

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post

Berry is not too bad but can get busy during summer. By noon the winds tend to kick up and you will want to avoid the main body as it often gets whitecaps.

The finger(s) to the south and east have a couple marinas/boat ramps. You can get to these by I-5, then SR 128 for an easier drive. Taking the back roads from Napa is doable but windy in sections.

The finger to the south and west has a pay marina on one side and a free-ramp on the other. Unless you are there before the crack of dawn, forget the free-ramp on weekends (summer weekdays for that matter as well). There is a small area there that is somewhat sheltered from the wind. You will most likely move from there to the east skirting the larger body of water.

There is a finger to the north. A lot of the marinas were shut down at one time (long story about USBR mismanagement) so I used to high tale it to the north when too many people showed up in the south. A couple more marinas have opened up on the west/north side so I would think that finger gets busy quickly as well.

In short if you go there you will want to get out early for skiing and boarding. There is a ski course. I think you need to be a member but not sure. Tubers show up by noon (if not earlier) and destroy all flat water to be found. Sunday late afternoon and early evenings are sometimes OK as many will leave by then.

http://www.lakeberryessanews.com/facilities2.html

Pleasure Cove Marina
http://goberryessa.com/services/marinacampground/

Markley Cove Marina
http://www.markleycoveresort.com/index.html

http://www.usbr.gov/mp/ccao/berryessa/index.html
Interesting. I see they now tossed Pensus out who was managing (and was going to take over most/all of the marina operations over at Berryessa) the area.

The three marinas I used are Markley, Pleasure and Steel (or you may see this called Lupin). Markely and Pleasure have fueling services. Not sure if Steel ever put their fuel services back in.

Let me know if you want to know more.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:38 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
It's been a while since the lake was high enough to spill over into the Glory Hole.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM
MC Devotee

There is a motor home park at http://www.vistaresorts.net/canyoncreek.php. I don't know anything about it other than I passed by it on the way to the lake.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:47 PM
MC Master Poster

I just called Pleasure Cove and they have a park that will fit me. I'll check into Vista, too.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:59 PM
MC Devotee

Found information about the ski course - http://monticelloskiclub.net/Home_Page.php

Pleasure Cove is nice as it sits in a little valley. You would never know that millions and millions of people are just over the hills. Flat water is pretty good there (note prior post though). Plus you would be right at the water. Don't expect much in the way of services - if you want good food you will need to bring your own or head to town.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Pleasure it is, then.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:53 PM
MC Devotee

While Berryessa is an fine lake, you know you are passing some rather fine gems of lakes (assuming you are traveling up I-5) that are in the central Sierra Mountains (New Melones, Don Pedro and McClure). I'm assuming that the convenience of Berryessa is the overriding priority.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
I spent a Sunday - Tuesday at pleasure cove last year it was nice and not crowded but it was late September. I grew up going there and it was nice but I don't know much about it now. I do know you don't want or need to go onto the main body of water stay on the fingers goneboatn talked about you will be fine.
I do have to say the waves really bounce off the shore and reflect back Towards the middle. On a Tuesday we were the only boat out there and our wakes would bounce off the shore and roll back through. Something that doesn't happen in the delta.