Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 12-25-2012, 06:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 197
Through Hull Placement

Just throwing this out for some discussion. I intend on installing rear ballast in the new 197, have a Jabsco reversible pump and a couple of sacks. My question is, where do I pick up the water? Do I plumb into engine pickup or do I drill and put another through hull in. If so, where is the right place to drill on Prostar 197. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
I have a 205 but copied a guy w a 197 (can't remember his username now - sweet 40th I think though). Anyway, he had two, one on each side of the propshaft just behind the motorbox. Works well. This is on the bottom.../
Old 12-25-2012, 08:35 AM

Boat: 06 X30
If you look at where your thru hull engine water pick up is you have a good idea of where you can put a through hull for your ballast. Any where behind that pick going towards the back of the boat will have access to water.

Last edited by CantRepeat; 12-25-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihrdskir View Post
... Do I plumb into engine pickup ...
That would be very bad.

Also take into consideration where you have other thinks like your paddle wheel for the PP or depth sensor - you do not want to disturb water flow over these. Also, consider where your bunks are for your trailer - then again you will most likely be drilling holes while on the trailer. Also place where you are going to be able to easily reach the shutoff (seacock) valve if needed.

I have an X-15 and mine are located to the the right and left of where the prop shaft goes through the hull.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, great information. I am also hoping someone out there may have a x7 factory install for use as a bit of a guide, perhaps with a pic or two, or can be for any jabsco install. Anything will be helpful.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:28 AM

Boat: 06 X30
As far as doing the wiring like Mastercraft does, you can use the post below as guide to wiring non timer ballast pumps.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=40934
Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihrdskir View Post
Just throwing this out for some discussion. I intend on installing rear ballast in the new 197, have a Jabsco reversible pump and a couple of sacks. My question is, where do I pick up the water? Do I plumb into engine pickup or do I drill and put another through hull in. If so, where is the right place to drill on Prostar 197. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Here are a couple of issues that would pop up if you tied into the raw water pickup. The scoop will force feed the pump, causing passive filling. This is even more of a problem now that the Jabcso pumps are coming with the low friction green impellers. If you were to fill at rest, with the engine idling, the pump(s) have been known to starve the engine. This can lead to a failed raw water impeller. best advice, give the new pump its own dedicated thru-hull or T into one of the factory ballast pump thru hulls depending on its size. A 1" will easily support a pair of the reversible pumps. .75" will support a single pump (running), but I suggest using a .75 threaded by 1.0" HB fitting off the ball-valve and use 1" hose into and out of the pump. You can maximise the pumps flow by eliminating the .75" sac fittings.

I would use a standard mushroom thru-hull as opposed to a scoop. This will prevent passive filling and draining. You will be able to fill or drain while under way as well. If you go with the Jabsco Ballast Puppy, it comes with a pre-wired rocker switch. You just need to fun your power and ground from the battery to the switch and then to the pump, making your connections to the pumps pre-wired pigtail.

Thru-hull placement: The mushrooms rarely cause issues with the engine pickup or paddle wheel, but as a rule of thumb, I try to stay out of directly in front of them if the shroom is going to be close to either of them. The further forward of them you can locate the shroom, the less likely there will be any issues. Dry-fit the shroom and ball-valve assembly in the hull prior to drilling. Make sure it fits with room to rotate the ball-valve handle. Its also nice to be able to reach it in case of a hose or fitting failure before the pump.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
As far as doing the wiring like Mastercraft does, you can use the post below as guide to wiring non timer ballast pumps.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=40934
Thanks cantrepeat,

This will help a lot. Love the shot in the link with the can of coors light. This is how I like to work too. Won't embark on the project this week though, temps between 90 and 100 for the next 7 days and would rather be out on the water.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Here are a couple of issues that would pop up if you tied into the raw water pickup. The scoop will force feed the pump, causing passive filling. This is even more of a problem now that the Jabcso pumps are coming with the low friction green impellers. If you were to fill at rest, with the engine idling, the pump(s) have been known to starve the engine. This can lead to a failed raw water impeller. best advice, give the new pump its own dedicated thru-hull or T into one of the factory ballast pump thru hulls depending on its size. A 1" will easily support a pair of the reversible pumps. .75" will support a single pump (running), but I suggest using a .75 threaded by 1.0" HB fitting off the ball-valve and use 1" hose into and out of the pump. You can maximise the pumps flow by eliminating the .75" sac fittings.

I would use a standard mushroom thru-hull as opposed to a scoop. This will prevent passive filling and draining. You will be able to fill or drain while under way as well. If you go with the Jabsco Ballast Puppy, it comes with a pre-wired rocker switch. You just need to fun your power and ground from the battery to the switch and then to the pump, making your connections to the pumps pre-wired pigtail.

Thru-hull placement: The mushrooms rarely cause issues with the engine pickup or paddle wheel, but as a rule of thumb, I try to stay out of directly in front of them if the shroom is going to be close to either of them. The further forward of them you can locate the shroom, the less likely there will be any issues. Dry-fit the shroom and ball-valve assembly in the hull prior to drilling. Make sure it fits with room to rotate the ball-valve handle. Its also nice to be able to reach it in case of a hose or fitting failure before the pump.
Thanks MLA,

Just have to pluck up the courage to start drilling.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: other
If you can drill it, you can plug it. Sack up and go for it.

If you decide later, you don't want the pickup anymore, we can help you restore it back to the way it was.

Last edited by jfw432; 12-26-2012 at 11:37 PM.