Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 12-23-2012, 06:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Wake board Question

Alright guys and gals,
Not being a skier myself any longer (age) but owning a Prostar 190 and grand kids skiing, I do need more information on sizing a wake board for the kids. I would like to get them started on a board, but is seems that as they age and grow the bindings need to grow with them. Is there a specific size board to match them with and then replace bindings as they grow? Or is there something available that will match them as they need? The equipment isn't exactly cheap to keep up with their need like you would do with clothing. These are toys. Being retired, I do need to pay attention to what I buy, but it is such a pleasure to see them having a great time; and that what it is all about.
Thanks for all and any help on this matter. Have a Blessed Christmas and a most Prosperous New Year.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
< 4' go 119cm > 4' 125-130cm > 5' 136cm
I'd get boots that fit there feet correctly
Lose board = busted bones or torn ligaments
as far as performance, ever see a child try'n to skate with a pair of cheap ars inline skates,
find a board for intermediate rider or better.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
Alright guys and gals,
Not being a skier myself any longer (age) but owning a Prostar 190 and grand kids skiing, I do need more information on sizing a wake board for the kids. I would like to get them started on a board, but is seems that as they age and grow the bindings need to grow with them. Is there a specific size board to match them with and then replace bindings as they grow? Or is there something available that will match them as they need? The equipment isn't exactly cheap to keep up with their need like you would do with clothing. These are toys. Being retired, I do need to pay attention to what I buy, but it is such a pleasure to see them having a great time; and that what it is all about.
Thanks for all and any help on this matter. Have a Blessed Christmas and a most Prosperous New Year.
Don't give in to age!!!! you could always slalom on a fat ski... I hope health is not keeping you off the the ski - if so I am sorry. Merry Christmas back at ya.

People always upgrading..look on EBAY for deals...
Old 12-23-2012, 07:20 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
It can be expensive, but kids (and adults) need the right size board/boots for their weight/height. Usually you can get away with 3 different board setups from age 6-18. So 3 board setups could work for 3 kids of different ages. You can swap bindings around if needed. The lever-style mounting screws allow you to do this with no tools.

Little kids, 126-128 cm
Medium weight (100-130lbs) 134-136 cm
Adult 138-140 cm

If you stay with the same mfgr (liquid force for example) then everything should interchange if the boards have the same mounting holes.

Lots of online stores and local board shops will sell last years models much cheaper. Plus as said before check ebay. You can also check www.ski-it-again.com
Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
For occasional boarders you also don't need the best equipment... I inherited my son's 2010 HO Motive wakeboard...got some good used bindings... I spent $100 for the bindings... I am a firm believer in good bindings first over the actual board...but that is just me...
Old 12-23-2012, 10:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
>>> Have a Blessed Christmas and a most Prosperous New Year.

Same to you and your family.

Good comments above. Open toed bindings will generally fit a range of sizes. So maybe if the grand Kid's feet are not much different you may get lucky.

Also keep in mind this time of year you can find good deals on last years equipment online or at your local shop. So to save some cash you may not want to wait until summer.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Thanks! Good advice from all of you. I feel as if I'm part of the MC family already.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
If all you're looking to do is teach the basics and have a good time taking kids riding I'm with Jerseydave. 2 - 3 boards with a set of small / medium or medium / large open toe bindings (depending on age/size of kids) should do it. There are tons of good used boards out there that will do the job on a budget. While technology has progressed the changes in boards for the beginner to intermediate boarder really hasn't changed much in the 5 years. Yes there are much better materials being brought to the market and closed toe boots are the high end rage but the basic design has remained constant and at the skill level you're taking about any decent used board should meet your stated requirements.

I did some quick Craig's list searching and came across these which I thought would work well and no one would be embarrassed to ride......

Liquid Force board, vest and rope $120
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/spo/3479483678.html

O'Brien Wakeboard with binding $200/Make Offer
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/spo/3394253469.html

Hyperlite B Side with bindings $200
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/spo/3429472456.html

Women's Liquid Force Maven board with bindings $195 make offer
http://detroit.craigslist.org/search...ard&catAbb=sss

Hyperlite Motive 119 with boots $190
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/spo/3423112539.html

Point is these are all decent board packages that could probably all be had for about $150 a piece. At that price you could buy 3 of them and pretty well cover you grand kids and their friends for under $500. Until they start doing complex moves or competition this is probably all you really need.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
You can find a ton of boards for cheap........the bindings are expensive

Bindings can come highly adjustable though so depending on how big their feet are you can get away with 1 or 2 sets.

As far as boards what everyone else has said is true. My 2 kids just got the LF nemesis board and I paid like 190 bucks for the package at overtons.

Some deals:
http://www.djsboardshop.com/c-2883-w...section=-2003-

http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/hy...ings-2011.aspx

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards..._134_Image.jpg
Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Thanks all of you.......I guess I'll go shopping.
Hard to keep the kids tied down now, they are ready to get on the water. It should be easy now as the water is pretty hard at this time around here.