Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-18-2012, 09:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
Great info jdl and Eastie. Thanks much. One of my concers is the cost of routine maint once the free/included services run out. After talking to the dealership some more yesterday, we have decided to hold off for a while. We just can't justify all the extra expense right now when the Tahoe fits our needs fine.

The thought of the Tdi is still tugging though, so we are going to re-evaluate in March when I get my bonus.

Thanks again everyone for the great input. We will most likely upgrade to the T-Reg one of these days once we figure out all the costs and our finances.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Maintenance is definitely more expensive on my current car than on my past cars (Hondas). Oil changes require synthetic, spark plugs have 40K mile change intervals. 93 Octane required. After my big warranty claim, and facing the end of my powertrain warranty, I refinanced and got a 5 year service plan rolled in. The cost of peace of mind is $17 per month. Well worth it.

On the other side, the car drives like a dream, gets 35 mpg on the highway at 70 mph, is chipped up to about 270 hp and 300 ft/lbs of torque, and is fast enough for the old man.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 05-22-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
as with JDL i was concerned going from such a big suv with 3rd row seating to a smaller touareg but with one son in college i very often used the 3rd row. once i towed once with t-rex i was hooked plus the way it handled.

we are heading to colorado on the 27th for skiing and can't wait. i figured with the mpg's i got out of my land cruiser vs the touraeg i will save almost $250 in just fuel alone.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2
Any Toureg/ Q7 owners. DO you have the air levelling suspension? HOw much sag do you get when hooked up to the boat? Like most of you, I'll be towing an X2. Looking for thoughts and advice on pros/cons with this vehicle.
I'm looking at the new Q7 TDI with the S-line package.

Thanks for some of the insight into these vehicles.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Our Touareg is a 2012, so we don't have the air suspension. We get a little squat, but no more than my dad's single rear wheel F350, the T-Reg just doesn't sit up as high to start. We LOVE ours so far and we are averaging 27.9 mpg since February in all suburban driving. It is the nicest car we have ever owned at it never lacks for power towing the boat. No complaints at all.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2
DUane any options you wish you'd have now? Giving the time you've had the vehicle? THe mileage you get is great.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

The 2012's don't come with a backup camera in any trim level. The 2011's and '13s do though. The dealership claimed that the tsunami in Japan took out the plant that makes the back up camera, so none of the '12s had one. Im not 100% sure that is true, but i had them go so far as to call a VW engineer to see what it would take to add it to ours and the price was astronomical. When hooking up the trailer by myself it would be nice, but not a must have for me.

Ours is the Sport model and it has (almost) every gadget known to man as standard. Lux model gets you 20" wheels vs 18, headrests that adjust fore and aft, memory seats, a panoramic sunroof, and a few more baubles. Exec gets all that plus push button start.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane D View Post
The 2012's don't come with a backup camera in any trim level. The 2011's and '13s do though. The dealership claimed that the tsunami in Japan took out the plant that makes the back up camera, so none of the '12s had one. Im not 100% sure that is true, but i had them go so far as to call a VW engineer to see what it would take to add it to ours and the price was astronomical. When hooking up the trailer by myself it would be nice, but not a must have for me.

Ours is the Sport model and it has (almost) every gadget known to man as standard. Lux model gets you 20" wheels vs 18, headrests that adjust fore and aft, memory seats, a panoramic sunroof, and a few more baubles. Exec gets all that plus push button start.
That is true about the backup cameras. There is a good source in Poland that will get them for you for about $500 (this si the flip up badge cameras). These are OEM parts (not the Chinese knock offs you see on ebay). I just ordered an upgraded Bluetooth module for mine. If you have an RNS510 or RNS315, the camera is plug and play (with some wire running). You can also buy a $25 camera on ebay and rig the wiring to work with the aforementioned stereos. If you have the RCD510, the RNS is a quick swap (15 minutes tops). They are not cheap though (even used). My CC is a Sport model. Bought a used RNS off a guy on VWvortex and had it in in nothing flat.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
That is true about the backup cameras. There is a good source in Poland that will get them for you for about $500 (this si the flip up badge cameras). These are OEM parts (not the Chinese knock offs you see on ebay). I just ordered an upgraded Bluetooth module for mine. If you have an RNS510 or RNS315, the camera is plug and play (with some wire running). You can also buy a $25 camera on ebay and rig the wiring to work with the aforementioned stereos. If you have the RCD510, the RNS is a quick swap (15 minutes tops). They are not cheap though (even used). My CC is a Sport model. Bought a used RNS off a guy on VWvortex and had it in in nothing flat.

Wow! How do I know which touch screen/radio module I have? I think I followed what you said, but I got lost in all the RNS and RCD numbers. Thanks again Eastie. You are truly a wealth of info here on boats and VWs!