Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-16-2012, 04:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
Touareg Tdi for towing and DD

I have noticed in several threads that many of you on this board have VW Touaregs as your tow vehicle. My wife and I are considering trading from our '04 Tahoe into a 2011 Touareg Tdi to serve as tow pig and daily driver for her. On paper you get the best of both worlds with great fuel economy and towing capacity.

For those of you that have one, is there anything you DON'T like about them? Has anyone had any maintenance or reliability issues?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Duane
Old 12-16-2012, 05:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
i have a 2012 lux tdi with 6500 miles and it has been great. coming from a 07 land cruiser that got 15 hwy and 8 towing the touareg has been great. about 30mpg hwy and the one time i towed long distance i got about 16.5 doing 75 mph for 200 miles each way.

mine has a 100K warranty.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Can't say anything bad, only have 6200 miles so far. Getting around 29 MPG's all around and 14 to 16 towing. Currently tow an X2, will be towing an X25 next summer, don't see an issue with the extra 1000lbs, can't really tell the boat is there. Strongly suggest this hitch, eliminates the clank.
http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/...e/SR26039.html

As far as a daily driver,,, awesome... Tow vehicle,,, Awesome...

If you question it's safety, don't... See this post:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...hlight=Touareg
Old 12-16-2012, 07:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
i bought the hitch that matt recommended and it does what he said!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
My wife had a Touareg she bought with her ex. She swears it was the worst rig she ever owned. Not sure what year it was, but it has trans. issues from day one and always was in the shop. She said she would never own another. I know there can be lemons in any line, but she drives a 2012 4Runner Limited, owned it for 1 year and 10K on it now, she says it's 10x the vehicle the VW was. No dog in the fight, but be careful.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
My friend has a a V10 TDI, and I got drive it several times......Kills it, nice luxury, super fast, every option imaginable, lots of power, super nice ride, German Engineering....I recommend it
Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Early Touareg's were trouble. I know I had one. The touareg and Porsche Cayenne, built on the same assembly line, were initially designed for two batteries. Just before introduction this was changed to one battery under the drivers seat. As a result some of the early touaregs had almost impossible to diagnose electrical gremlins.

About the only thing that did work flawlessly on our 04 were the engine and transmission. The transmission was a sealed unit that was manufactured by ZF in Germany.

VW gave us a great deal on an 06 and we put 60K miles on it without a single problem. I'd recommend or purchase another one in a heartbeat. I needed the third row so went with the Audi Q7 in 09.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
Thanks for all the feeback fellas! A dealer near me has a beautiful 2011 Sport (basic model) with 25k miles on it. I am trying to convince myself going from a <10k vehicle to a 35-40k vehicle is worth it.

I am a diesel lover at heart and get giddy over the thought of hearing that Tdi idling every day. The mileage these things pull down is almost unbelievable to me, but everyone that owns one says they get 27-28 mpg in mixed driving. That is just rediculous for a truck(?) that weighs a sandwich short of 5000 lbs!

I would be towing my '06 X2 and am glad to hear that TTU and Mattscraft does so well. Matt, I read your whole thread when you posted on that horrible accident and I am glad that it was not worse for those involved. That thread is a big reason I started looking at these vehilces in the first place!

I heard about the electrical gremlins of the 1st generation models. From everything I can find, these appear to be in the past and the newest generation is having good success.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane D View Post
I have noticed in several threads that many of you on this board have VW Touaregs as your tow vehicle. My wife and I are considering trading from our '04 Tahoe into a 2011 Touareg Tdi to serve as tow pig and daily driver for her. On paper you get the best of both worlds with great fuel economy and towing capacity.

For those of you that have one, is there anything you DON'T like about them? Has anyone had any maintenance or reliability issues?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Duane
If I am forced to think of something I don't like, it might be the smaller interior space in the back when the rear seats are down. Example: I used to be able to fit two mountain bikes in my old ford explorer and with the T-Reg, its a struggle to get 1 to fit. If you are going from a tahoe to a T-reg you will most certainly tell the difference. But then i ask myself how often do I try to chuck 2 bikes in the back?

Another thing I miss about a more universal SUV is being able to get the oil changed at a regular jiffy lube. With the T-reg, these euro cars are supposed to be taken care of at euro auto dealerships or places that specialize in these types of cars. Even though Im still in the free oil service window, I don't like having to set up an appontment and make a big deal over a silly oil change. I miss the 10 minute drive up and leave places!

But these complaints are worth the car. They are fun to drive since they handle so well with full time all wheel drive. As for towing, they are great. Just a solid, smart, capable suv... oh, and very safe!
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl xstar View Post
If I am forced to think of something I don't like, it might be the smaller interior space in the back when the rear seats are down. Example: I used to be able to fit two mountain bikes in my old ford explorer and with the T-Reg, its a struggle to get 1 to fit. If you are going from a tahoe to a T-reg you will most certainly tell the difference. But then i ask myself how often do I try to chuck 2 bikes in the back?

Another thing I miss about a more universal SUV is being able to get the oil changed at a regular jiffy lube. With the T-reg, these euro cars are supposed to be taken care of at euro auto dealerships or places that specialize in these types of cars. Even though Im still in the free oil service window, I don't like having to set up an appontment and make a big deal over a silly oil change. I miss the 10 minute drive up and leave places!

But these complaints are worth the car. They are fun to drive since they handle so well with full time all wheel drive. As for towing, they are great. Just a solid, smart, capable suv... oh, and very safe!
I just buy the correct oil and filter online and drop it off at the small garage across the street from my office. I hear your about the peculiarities of VW and the apparent inability of most shops to service them. But oil changes are the one thing that is not unusual.

I just scan my receipts. Had a major engine malfunction due to a fouled injector. They asked for oil change records, I gave them my receipts, and no problemo.

This is a 2010 CC. I am assuming there's nothing too unusual about oil changes on a Toureg.

/CC has a top mount oil filter. Very tempted to hook it up to my pump I use for the boat. But for the $15 my local shop charges for a change, why bother.

//If you haven't already, think about investing in a VAGCOM/VCDS diagnostic cable from Ross-Tech. They are spendy, but my local Indy Euro mechanic doesn't charge me the typical $90 per scan.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.