Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDaddy View Post
I think you know, but just in case, remember that the zerk (grease) fitting that goes into the steering cable/tube needs to not have the internal check valve. That is so that extra grease can be released and be expeled via the zerk. Otherwise, your steering can be very, very tight or even locked up. A normal zerk fitting will cause you problems at that location.

Good luck - let us know how the steering feels. You know, before/after, etc.

This is very interesting. Bought my 91 in Jan 04. In the process of giving it the once over before my first season I stumbled across the zerk on the steering cable tube. Saw it was missing the check valve. Looked high and low for a replacement zerk. It's very small, 3mm or something like that. I even called a dealer. Told them which zerk it was and why I wanted to replace it. They never mentioned anything about it being by design. I eventually tapped it out and put another zerk in there with a check valve.

Also changed steering cable and cleaned out that tube. Haven't had any trouble. When I grease it I wipe everything down several times as I move the rudder back and forth slowly to ease excess grease out. My steering is actually very nice but of course now I'll be aware of it and MCOCD will begin to eat the brain. Guess if it comes to it I can pop the bearing out of the valve.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phntmski View Post

This is very interesting. Bought my 91 in Jan 04. In the process of giving it the once over before my first season I stumbled across the zerk on the steering cable tube. Saw it was missing the check valve. Looked high and low for a replacement zerk. It's very small, 3mm or something like that. I even called a dealer. Told them which zerk it was and why I wanted to replace it. They never mentioned anything about it being by design. I eventually tapped it out and put another zerk in there with a check valve.

Also changed steering cable and cleaned out that tube. Haven't had any trouble. When I grease it I wipe everything down several times as I move the rudder back and forth slowly to ease excess grease out. My steering is actually very nice but of course now I'll be aware of it and MCOCD will begin to eat the brain. Guess if it comes to it I can pop the bearing out of the valve.
I suspect that the check ball is omitted to prevent and pressure from affecting steering effort with either negative or positive feedback. Probably only encounter that when overfilled with grease, but I know what my MCOCD would have me doing.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 04-25-2013, 10:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X25
did anybody ever figure out where to find that steering guide tube zerk? mine is missing too...any issue with not having it there? every hardware zerk protrudes too much into the cable...

any info on thread specs, depth etc. So far i only know it doesnt have the check valve....
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWeaver View Post
did anybody ever figure out where to find that steering guide tube zerk? mine is missing too...any issue with not having it there? every hardware zerk protrudes too much into the cable...

any info on thread specs, depth etc. So far i only know it doesnt have the check valve....
It does NOT have a check valve and I run mine without a fitting. I gave up looking for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X-9
I found a grease zirk that fit the hole size and then ground it down so it did not protrude through the other side into the tube and then I greased the heck out of it. Mine is working great but it is spring and I have been out once. I posted my step to fixing on my X-9
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=53412&page=2