Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Cub View Post
Can anyone comment on the quality of electronics? My tundra was very basic, and all electronics worked great; but my tacoma has nothing electronic, as in I have crank windows, no auto locks, and the only option was the 2.7l and the locking differential. I plan on purchasing a new truck in the near future, and I'm curious as to the longevity of the electronics equipment.
Before I had my Tundra I had an ' 01 Tacoma with power windows & locks, 140k miles with new issues. When I bought my tundra (used) I had an issue with the power locks On 2 of the 4 doors.. It was repaired under the certified warranty but the solenoids were about $200 each.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1996, 5.7L
A couple more questions:

1. Can anyone comment on the Auto LSD on 2wd tundra model and it's capabilities to pull boats up wet ramps? My 2wd Z71 has a locking differential and handles wet ramps well. My previous chevy had no locking diff, but would get it done despite spinning one tire.

2. Anyone have issues with VSC features cutting power on tundra after leveling kit was installed?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mah2496 View Post
A couple more questions:

1. Can anyone comment on the Auto LSD on 2wd tundra model and it's capabilities to pull boats up wet ramps? My 2wd Z71 has a locking differential and handles wet ramps well. My previous chevy had no locking diff, but would get it done despite spinning one tire.

2. Anyone have issues with VSC features cutting power on tundra after leveling kit was installed?
My Tundra has the Auto LSD, but I have not used it due to mine being 4WD. In theory, it makes sense, but I don't think it will be as good as a real locker. It works by applying the brakes to the spinning wheel, which then sends torque over to the other side.

Not sure about your ramp, but mine is about normal and gets moss growing on it in the warmer months. The truck may slip a little going up the ramp in 2WD, but it is no where near not being able to pull my boat out of the water. I little more weight in the bed or on the tongue would be ideal.

To be honest, a 'true' rear locker is about the only thing this truck is missing in my opinion. If you are willing to spend the $, I think there is one or two rear locker conversion kits on the market.

Sorry, I don't know anything about your second question.
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Old 12-23-2012, 03:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1996, 5.7L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsone View Post
My Tundra has the Auto LSD, but I have not used it due to mine being 4WD. In theory, it makes sense, but I don't think it will be as good as a real locker. It works by applying the brakes to the spinning wheel, which then sends torque over to the other side.

Not sure about your ramp, but mine is about normal and gets moss growing on it in the warmer months. The truck may slip a little going up the ramp in 2WD, but it is no where near not being able to pull my boat out of the water. I little more weight in the bed or on the tongue would be ideal.

To be honest, a 'true' rear locker is about the only thing this truck is missing in my opinion. If you are willing to spend the $, I think there is one or two rear locker conversion kits on the market.

Sorry, I don't know anything about your second question.
Ramps on my lake are good. I figure the ALSD has got to be better than my previous chevy with no LSD.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mah2496 View Post
Ramps on my lake are good. I figure the ALSD has got to be better than my previous chevy with no LSD.
Yeah, it can't hurt, right? Just keep in mind that it is not always active. You turn on the ALSD with a button below the instrument cluster.

Feel free to PM me any questions you might have if you like.

-NCS
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Old 12-25-2012, 04:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft MariStar 210 VRS
wait, i thought it was always on. I thought when you hit the button the light in the dash turns red and it is off then.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 215
The ALSD button on the dash of a Toyota Tundra deactivates the traction control.