Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
I back the trailer in the water until the hull is wet, then pause. Once the driver (whoever it may be) gets the engine started, I back in further until the boat floats off the trailer. They drive away, I drive away.

It's not that complicated.
+2 -- - good launch should take about 2 minutes from back up from staging area, boat luanch, pull away to park.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
All are helpful comments - - - thanks.

Ms. Rita, I would love it to be that easy. It definitely *should* be. My wife is actually very good at pulling skiers and wakeboarders (usually just me, as I'm the driver for everyone else). But, she puts up a lot of resistance to slow speed maneuvering, including driving the boat off the trailer and bringing the boat up to a dock. That's why we have typically floated the boat off the trailer while she held the lines.

I have always power loaded the boat and it hasn't been an issue. I agree that depth of the trailer is key and find that having the top of the fenders about 1" above the water seems to be the perfect depth for my boat.

Luckily, our favorite boat launch is usually pretty low stress, even on busy weekends. It has 6 slots and the parking lot is attached. People are usually very understanding and cordial, which helps.

When launching, I typically back to within 5 feet of the water, unhook the boat from the trailer, secure the lines, confirm all is ready (plug in, engine blower on, etc.) then back the trailer in until the boat floats off. My wife holds the lines while I park the boat and trailer then we are good to go. Whole thing takes 3 minutes from start to finish.

However, it would be even easier if my wife (or someone else) would be agreeable to driving the boat off the trailer OR backing the boat the last few feet and then parking the car and trailer while I drove the boat over to the passenger loading area.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 AM

MusicMD where in the midwest are you....
Old 12-15-2012, 10:46 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmd View Post
All are helpful comments - - - thanks.

Ms. Rita, I would love it to be that easy. It definitely *should* be. My wife is actually very good at pulling skiers and wakeboarders (usually just me, as I'm the driver for everyone else). But, she puts up a lot of resistance to slow speed maneuvering, including driving the boat off the trailer and bringing the boat up to a dock. That's why we have typically floated the boat off the trailer while she held the lines.

I have always power loaded the boat and it hasn't been an issue. I agree that depth of the trailer is key and find that having the top of the fenders about 1" above the water seems to be the perfect depth for my boat.

Luckily, our favorite boat launch is usually pretty low stress, even on busy weekends. It has 6 slots and the parking lot is attached. People are usually very understanding and cordial, which helps.

When launching, I typically back to within 5 feet of the water, unhook the boat from the trailer, secure the lines, confirm all is ready (plug in, engine blower on, etc.) then back the trailer in until the boat floats off. My wife holds the lines while I park the boat and trailer then we are good to go. Whole thing takes 3 minutes from start to finish.

However, it would be even easier if my wife (or someone else) would be agreeable to driving the boat off the trailer OR backing the boat the last few feet and then parking the car and trailer while I drove the boat over to the passenger loading area.
Your routine sounds fine and you should probably just be satisfied with it. The price you pay for trying to get the wife more involved than she is comfortable with is too great. Just sayin'

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
MusicMD where in the midwest are you....
I'm in Madison, Wisconsin.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Your routine sounds fine and you should probably just be satisfied with it. The price you pay for trying to get the wife more involved than she is comfortable with is too great. Just sayin'
I think you're spot on. My wife is very comfortable with our routine and we are pretty efficient (MUCH faster than many people we observe). It doesn't make sense to ask my wife to do something outside of her comfort zone.

I also realize that, while I LOVE driving the boat, my wife only does it to be helpful (i.e., when I'm the one in the water.) Otherwise, she is happier being a passenger and observer.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:00 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
I think you're spot on. My wife is very comfortable with our routine and we are pretty efficient (MUCH faster than many people we observe). It doesn't make sense to ask my wife to do something outside of her comfort zone.

I also realize that, while I LOVE driving the boat, my wife only does it to be helpful (i.e., when I'm the one in the water.) Otherwise, she is happier being a passenger and observer.
I can identify with that

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I'm in Madison, Wisconsin.
Give a shout out to Madcityskier.... he's from Madison.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Give a shout out to Madcityskier.... he's from Madison.
Yes, we've connected a few times on the TT forum. I got the X-10 in late September and haven't yet hooked up with other MC owners here in Madison. Next year . . .
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x-30
I would say if your routine is working for you then stick with it. When we had our 190 I usually launched and loaded by myself, when my wife was with all she had to do was make sure the boat didn't float away from the dock, otherwise she pretty much just stayed out of the way. The last thing you want to do is start the day off on a sour note if something were to not go as planned when launching. We've all seen and heard the arguments, not the way I'd want to start my day on the lake.