Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2015, 01:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Prostar
Installing Perfect Pass / Speed Control

Hey Guys. I am sure this has been discussed before on this forum but I'd like some advice on adding Perfect Pass or another type of speed control to my 98 Prostar. If I just want basic speed control what is the best system for the money and do you think I can install it fairly easily myself?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1996, 3fiddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasAlive View Post
Hey Guys. I am sure this has been discussed before on this forum but I'd like some advice on adding Perfect Pass or another type of speed control to my 98 Prostar. If I just want basic speed control what is the best system for the money and do you think I can install it fairly easily myself?

Thanks in advance.
Perfect Pass Stargazer Wakeboard Edition S http://perfectpass.com/?q=systems

$1195, and worth every penny. Installation is pretty easy, and the folks at Perfect Pass are awesome to deal with. Call them, tell them what you have, choose your preferred gauge color, collect underpants...profit.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, ps209, 2001, 330,
Some is better than none

A few years ago replaced the Mastercraft cruise with an older version of PP single line display. I'm not a tourney skier anymore but I wanted PP so my wife could drive a consistent speed and focus on other aspects of driving. I picked up the older unit on ski-it-again.com Installation was fairly easy but it took some nerve to install the paddle wheel. I would have gone with GPS but at the time were skiing primarily on the Mississippi river and GPS does not compensate for current meaning that in a 2 mph current a 34 mph pass (ground speed) could be 36 or 32 mph (water speed).

IF you are not looking for tournament type speed control then you may want to look at the used market.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCAnderson View Post
I wanted PP so my wife could drive a consistent speed and focus on other aspects of driving.
This is exactly what I have in mind. I'd like the wife, and anyone else that drives the boat, to be able to keep speed while focused on the surroundings.

I'm guessing the GPS version is an easier install?
Old 07-14-2015, 02:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988 Supra Sunsport
it really is an easy install. i did the PP Stargazer GPS system myself in about an hour and have had no issues other than having to tighten the throttle adjustment nut a couple times over the past three seasons.

i have heard that the hydrophase ridesteady system is great as well, and should be a little cheaper. i would have done that system if i didn't stumble upon a group buy for the PP system when i was ready to buy.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1996, 3fiddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasAlive View Post
This is exactly what I have in mind. I'd like the wife, and anyone else that drives the boat, to be able to keep speed while focused on the surroundings.

I'm guessing the GPS version is an easier install?
GPS version doesn't require mounting anything outside of the boat or drilling anywhere. All you have to do is find a spot for the Garmin hockey puck receiver thingy (mine is mounted under the dash, still get's signal).

The install is basically tapping into some power, the tach, plugging in a few gizmos, mounting the motor to your engine, and running the cable to your throttle (on carbed and throttle body engines).

Hardest part is running all of the wires under the deck.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: hydrodyne grandsport 1994
http://steadypass.webs.com/

Check this out!! not fully on the market yet but should be close!

I ordered one for my boat for around $250. i agreed to help with final testing, and fitting.

email the guy in the link if your interested, he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful!
Old 07-14-2015, 03:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988 Supra Sunsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by camron18 View Post
http://steadypass.webs.com/

Check this out!! not fully on the market yet but should be close!

I ordered one for my boat for around $250. i agreed to help with final testing, and fitting.

email the guy in the link if your interested, he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful!
that's really cool. it will be nice to see the price once he gets everything perfected and on the market.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-30
hydrophase ridesteady looks nice but when you look at the cost .. its in stargazer territory. PP are the pioneers so I will probably go that direction.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '98 Prostar
Put the Perfect Pass on my 1998 ProStar a number of years ago. Its a plug and play install and works great. We have nick named it the marriage saver. Only problem we have had in the 5 or so years we've used it is that the cord on the servo motor snapped. I called perfect pass and a new one was fed ex to me next day free of charge. Customer service can't be beat!

Now that the kids are starting to ski in tournaments, I am looking to do a ZBox upgrade. Actually a new Zero Off boat would be nice, but I'll settle for a ZBox instead of a monthly boat payment.

Tags
cruise control, perfect pass, speed control