Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2015, 12:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
Trying to Narrow My Slalom Boat Search

I sold my slalom tractor. Which was an amazing ski wake (94 prostar 190) ~2000 hrs of ridden hard and put up wet. Luckily the aesthetics of the boat were too far gone for my MC OCD to kick in.

I know most of you are thinking what an idiot, it's July. But here in Nor-Cal my every other day ski lake just went to 5 mph. So I'm stuck bumming rides at private lakes (oh darn).

9 times out of 10 it's me and a couple of other slalom skiers but I have a 2 year old son and a baby girl that should be here in a week or so. So I'm trying to upgrade to a slightly more family oriented boat, less hours and more room. Timing wise I'm hoping to land a new boat between now and October.

I am sure many of you have gone from the "golden year hull" to a newer 197.
Any regrets?
Any suggestions?
Any years to stay away from?
Which years had upholstery issues?

I am currently entertaining the idea of:
93 prostar 205 with the lt-1
94-95 prostar 205
2002 TT prostar 197
2003-2008 prostar 197. I've seen quite a few of these with the 6.0 liter. Is there any reason not to have the 5.7 liter?
I would love to have a boat w/zero off but it would have to be an extremely high hour boat. Which kind of defeats the purpose of getting a new one.

Price range 10-25k

I'd love to snag the New Prostar. But I have an aversion to debt.

Thank you in advance. I love learning on this forum and appreciate your comments.

Speed control and a single axle trailer are my nitpicky requirements.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1996, 3fiddy
Pre 1996 Prostar 205 would be at the top of my list for a family friendly, affordable slalom tug. I'm not a big skier, but even the wake behind my 96 looks super flat to me when I'm not sacked up.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 83 SnS / Axis A22
Have you tried a Malibu Sunsetter LXI? Better ski boat than the 205 and more room.
If you are looking for a open bow ski boat in that price range, I can't recommend the LXI enough. Such a soft wake even at 15' off.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
2004 or older Sunsetter LXI, Response LXI, Prostar 195, Sportstar OB, and 2004+ Tige 20i would be my picks for a young family. Personally I would not like having children that young in a boat as low as the 197, especially if it's going to be used in public lakes.

As for upholstery issue years, that's around 2000-2002 for all boat manufacturers. 2002 non-TT 197 does not have as good of a ski wake as the TT and 2003+ 197s.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post
2004 or older Sunsetter LXI, Response LXI, Prostar 195, Sportstar OB, and 2004+ Tige 20i would be my picks for a young family. Personally I would not like having children that young in a boat as low as the 197, especially if it's going to be used in public lakes.

As for upholstery issue years, that's around 2000-2002 for all boat manufacturers. 2002 non-TT 197 does not have as good of a ski wake as the TT and 2003+ 197s.
Great info all around. Only thing I would amend in keeping with the little kids theme is the Response LXi. If you go that route I'd only look at '07 and up in that boat. The '03-06 is a great ski machine but has a very low bow and requires an attentive and experienced driver, much like the 197.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk13 View Post
Great info all around. Only thing I would amend in keeping with the little kids theme is the Response LXi. If you go that route I'd only look at '07 and up in that boat. The '03-06 is a great ski machine but has a very low bow and requires an attentive and experienced driver, much like the 197.

Good luck!
Didn't realize the bow was that low on the first gen Response LXI, thanks for that info. An 07+ Response LXI will likely be out of the 25k price range.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
Thanks for all the info. I dig the response for slalom but not for trick. I'm hoping to end up on a private lake most of the time so I think the sunset yet will be too bulky in a course, but I want the flexibility to enjoy the public lake that is next to our house. I'm mostly slalom and trick now... Still have the jumpers but haven't hit a ramp in years. I went to high school in maryville, and I've smoked the original mastercraft lake. I'm a little partial to the MC's.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk13 View Post

Good luck!
I agree with the low bow comment, of this generation of 197 and Response LXi. When we are floating, a medium/large wave, will come over the bow. It's a problem, for family type activities.

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by etduc View Post
I agree with the low bow comment, of this generation of 197 and Response LXi. When we are floating, a medium/large wave, will come over the bow. It's a problem, for family type activities.
X's 2 - Neighbor has Response LXi - Nice ride and does the job well. Correct, you always have to be on the lookout when sitting. A set of big rollers and you're swamped if not on the ball.

Nicer ski wake than the X9 I had. However, the X9 was a better family boat when you throw versatility and storage in the equation.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:19 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueSkier View Post
I sold my slalom tractor. Which was an amazing ski wake (94 prostar 190) ~2000 hrs of ridden hard and put up wet. Luckily the aesthetics of the boat were too far gone for my MC OCD to kick in.

I know most of you are thinking what an idiot, it's July. But here in Nor-Cal my every other day ski lake just went to 5 mph. So I'm stuck bumming rides at private lakes (oh darn).

9 times out of 10 it's me and a couple of other slalom skiers but I have a 2 year old son and a baby girl that should be here in a week or so. So I'm trying to upgrade to a slightly more family oriented boat, less hours and more room. Timing wise I'm hoping to land a new boat between now and October.

I am sure many of you have gone from the "golden year hull" to a newer 197.
Any regrets?
Any suggestions?
Any years to stay away from?
Which years had upholstery issues?

I am currently entertaining the idea of:
93 prostar 205 with the lt-1
94-95 prostar 205
2002 TT prostar 197
2003-2008 prostar 197. I've seen quite a few of these with the 6.0 liter. Is there any reason not to have the 5.7 liter?
I would love to have a boat w/zero off but it would have to be an extremely high hour boat. Which kind of defeats the purpose of getting a new one.

Price range 10-25k

I'd love to snag the New Prostar. But I have an aversion to debt.

Thank you in advance. I love learning on this forum and appreciate your comments.

Speed control and a single axle trailer are my nitpicky requirements.
Any of the boats on your list will be fine slalom tugs. I prefer the first generation 205 for slalom to the second, but both are good boats.

Having said that, I'll play the devil's advocate for a second. Are you planning to have several other kids? Are you planning to let the kids sit in the bow any time soon?

I have two kids and until late 2007, I had a 93 205. It was a fantastic boat. But I really didn't want the little ones in the bow and when adults sat in the bow, the slalom wake suffered greatly. I had a jump seat and, more often than not, there were no more than four people in the boat (3 if my wife or I were skiing). And we would all sit spread out across the driver's or observer's seat. We'd pile up gear in the open bow.

In late 2007, I bought a closed bow slalom boat. I happily store our gear under the bow. We have plenty of room for the wife, me, and our two kids for ski runs and a few more if we're just cruising around.

I have often said that had I wanted an open bow boat, I'd have never sold the 93 205. It is a great boat. But I don't miss it for my nice closed bow boat I currently own.

We split time on two lakes---one is semi-private, the other is large public water.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.