Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-22-2012, 11:56 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Mike205, is this something that you have done to yours before?
As Kyle stated in another post my OCD on my boat is 13 on a scale of 10. I inspect my riser manifolds every season. My riser/manifolds are approaching 18 years old. I have yet to pull off my exhaust manifolds because they do not show any sign's of seeping or leaking. I obsess about the oxidation occurring in the water jacket of my engine manifold and risers.

I have been treating my manifolds bolts every season to maintain them. At one point I will have to pay the piper and pull the manifolds. But until then oxidation and I will be battling it out.

If you can't get the manifolds to budge with simple means...it's time to get the professionals involved. The only thing I can think of is that there was some water intrusion or oxidation that worked it's way down the mating surfaces...now it needs to be broken loose. I would seek professional advice before applying to force or a strong blow from a hammer to brake it loose. Any boat owner should be ready to fork over $1K to repair an old engine. Maybe PM JIM at BAWS to get an opinion.

Madcityskier has over 2K hours on his original engine... my goal is to beat him..
Old 12-23-2012, 01:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Madcityskier has over 2K hours on his original engine... my goal is to beat him..
And your hour count is what at this point?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
And your hour count is what at this point?
675 - I have a long way to go
Old 12-25-2012, 08:25 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X30
We got them off. We tried the pry bar hammer and all. I got nervous. I was afraid of damaging or cracking the block. (we never hit the block)

We used a pota power and they came right off. Will add the new manifolds and risers this week.

So yesterday I pulled the trigger! Took all of the interior out and decided to have it all redone. By the time I'm done it'll look new.

Should I start a new thread under refurbishing?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51timber View Post
We got them off. We tried the pry bar hammer and all. I got nervous. I was afraid of damaging or cracking the block. (we never hit the block)

We used a pota power and they came right off. Will add the new manifolds and risers this week.

So yesterday I pulled the trigger! Took all of the interior out and decided to have it all redone. By the time I'm done it'll look new.

Should I start a new thread under refurbishing?
Congrats... pota power? (porta power jack?) I would be nervous too..giving it a good whack...but I guess that's what it takes...too bad you did not have someone video taping...

Last edited by mikeg205; 12-25-2012 at 12:17 PM.