Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 12-11-2012, 06:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft x45
Drain Plugs on 6.2L Closed Cooling for Winterizing

I have read through the manual and read the directions to winterize my 2012 X45 with the 6.2L Closed cooling. Form the manual it seems alot easier than a non closed cooling engine. I read through the manual and was wondering if anyone knows where these plugs are located on the engine.

1. Drain exhaust manifolds of raw water by removing NPT pipe plugs.

2. Drain engine block of raw water (if raw water cooled). For 6.0L, 6.2L and 7.4L applications: Remove drain plugs from both sides of engine
drain hoses, drain fitting #6SS - part number 94MV8-1476; removal of drain
plugs will require both an 11/16 and 5/8 size wrench.

3. Drain heat exchangers of raw water. Closed cooled systems will have an oil/transmission and engine heat exchanger. Remove 1/8 NPT drain plug and allow draining.

4. Reinstall exhaust header drain plugs, engine block drain plugs, and heat exchanger end
caps/drain plugs after all raw water has been drained. Drain other components that
contain raw water, such as the water heater.

These are the steps that are in the manual. Its starting to get cold here in the Lousisana so I figured it time to winterize. I dont really feel like pulling it to the dealer when i could do this myself. Just trying to see if anyone has winterized a 2012 or has pictures.

Also, do you have to use anti freeze? I rarely stays cooled for extened periods of time. On my previous Malibu, I drained the engine plugs and that was it no anitfreeze and that worked for 8 years.

Thanks for the Help.
Dave