Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-10-2012, 12:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200
Best Navigation System, Nuvi, Tom Tom???

I am looking for a navigation system to put in my truck, and wondered what eveyones opinion is of the different options out there.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Sorry, my Droid 3 phone.....

I have an older Garmin and it worked great, by far. But the problem comes to relevent/updated maps. When you buy one of these (at least a few years ago) it comes with one map. 1 year later, new roads appear but the Nav unit doesn't recognize it. You have to pay another fee to update the maps again.

With my phone, the map is updated constantly by Google so the new roads appear pretty quickly. I just found that it wasn't worth me to pay for a new map......

However, my 16 yr old has used the Garmin a few times and it's definitely saved her.

If I was going your route, I'd try and get an all in one radio head unit that has navigation in it already. Cleaner than a separate one stuck to the windshield......

1994 205, LT1
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Sorry, my Droid 3 phone.....

I have an older Garmin and it worked great, by far. But the problem comes to relevent/updated maps. When you buy one of these (at least a few years ago) it comes with one map. 1 year later, new roads appear but the Nav unit doesn't recognize it. You have to pay another fee to update the maps again.

With my phone, the map is updated constantly by Google so the new roads appear pretty quickly. I just found that it wasn't worth me to pay for a new map......

However, my 16 yr old has used the Garmin a few times and it's definitely saved her.

If I was going your route, I'd try and get an all in one radio head unit that has navigation in it already. Cleaner than a separate one stuck to the windshield......
Some very good points here. Although, I think some of these units provide for free map updates for the life of the unit. I have had a Garmin, which was great. I have an OEM navigation system in my car now, which I love for not having stuck to the windshield. I can usually find map updates online for pretty cheap on my OEM unit. If you get one of the windshield mount types, look for something with lifetime updates.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200
Good points to think about. I have a 2005 GMC P/U that has the issue with the speedometer not working all the time, and figured it would be cheaper to buy a GPS Nav unit that show speed. I have a marine Garmin GPS that is great, but a little big to keep in the truck all the time. I have a company Blackberry, so I don't really want to buy a 2nd phone and cell contract thjust for the nav features.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I have a tom tom... $79 from Sam's - lifetime updates for whatever timeframe they claim product is viable. Been using my droid more not - I travel for work and send my hotel reservations to my google calendar... all I have to do is click the reservation and the click directions - with the tom tom had to key in. That being said..I believe the stand alone units provide the best direction options.
IMO
Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1999
Garmin has the best maps and the mid level and top tier units come with lifetime map updates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbare View Post
Good points to think about. I have a 2005 GMC P/U that has the issue with the speedometer not working all the time, and figured it would be cheaper to buy a GPS Nav unit that show speed. I have a marine Garmin GPS that is great, but a little big to keep in the truck all the time. I have a company Blackberry, so I don't really want to buy a 2nd phone and cell contract thjust for the nav features.
I know some of these GM trucks in this era have been known to have bad instrument clusters. My 2004 has not had any problems yet (knock on wood). But my friend's 2004 had his gauges jumping around quite a bit. I think the dealer gave him a $600 repair bill, but he found a source who would re-build his cluster completely and sent it back for $150 (shipping included). He is very happy with the fix and it's been a few month now since the work.

Just FYI....

1994 205, LT1
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
I've used Nextar professionally (I love the user interface) for last 4 years.... Nextar went out of business in 2009-2010. so, no map updates

I've been through several of their units (battery issues) but, I'd rather buy new (NIB) Nextar units on ebay than use my Garmin 760, I bought on ebay recently (I hate the user interface)

Updated the latest maps for the Garmin, and I still don't like it.

When iOS6 Jailbreak comes out for iPhone 4s.... that will be my primary GPS
Attached Images

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine

Last edited by milkmania; 12-10-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
I have a Garmin and usually only use it on long trips through unfamiliar towns because around town the thing can be an absolute nightmare. If I want to zoom in on a certain section of the map or scroll to see roads close-by it takes forever.

So I would second the GPS that comes with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3). Directions are never more than a voice command away and it's super easy to move around in the maps. Wouldn't go back to Garmin for anything.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I use the Tomtom iphone app. Cost $49 iirc. Don't love it but it works fine. If I needed it daily I'd probably have more of an educated opinion.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.