Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-08-2012, 08:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X-25 2010 MCX
New to Parenthood & Adoption

Thought I would share my story with everyone. Feel free to comment or share your stories, as my wife and I are new to both adoption and parenting.

My wife and I quite possibly could be the only people to adopt vie facebook.

Back in late November 2011, my wife gets a message from her cousin asking us how we felt about adoption. My wife and her cousin are not close and only starting talking to each other vie facebook. My wife messages her back and asks her why. Well one of her daughters is pregnant, due in late March, with her third child. Her other two kids are 5 and 20 months, she is a single parent that does not work and the father, same to all three, does not work as well. Both of them are in their early twenties. My wifeís cousin says she is going to give the baby up for adoption, and they are looking towards family for help first.

My wife and her cousin start talking on the phone and we agreed to look in to the process and see what all is evolved. After talking about it we decide to move forward, by now itís mid December and the baby is due in March so we have about 3 months to prepare to include home inspection all the baby stuff we are going to need. Somehow we managed to get everything we need to get done done, thanks to some great friends and family support.
March comes and her doctor says she is right on schedule for her due date of March 27 but my wife and I want to make sure we are there for the birth, which was in Wisconsin, so we head up a week early. We get there on the 18, got an apartment thanks to the cousin, we take the birth mother to her weekly checkup on the 19, and everything looks on schedule. So my wife and are thinking we got a week to spend with each other before our world changes, well we thought we had a week. We get a call first think the next morning that she was checking in to the hospital, three hours later we had a baby boy.

Bare with me my story is almost over.

Once we were cleared we headed home, yes we drove all the way from Wisconsin to Virginia nonstop 18 hours with a newborn, and he did great.

James is now seven months old heís 23lbs 9oz and 26in and doing great. It has been one heck of a year and we look forward to many more to come. We have yet to finalize in Virginia since he had to be 6 months old before we could apply but itís almost done and canít wait until it is.

Thank you for reading my long story.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X2
From one father to another... Congrats, the best days of your life are about to begin! They grow up so fast, so enjoy all the little things! I wish you and your "new" family all the best!

Good looking Vizsla also, mine is 3, best dog ever owned.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstewart319 View Post
Thought I would share my story with everyone. Feel free to comment or share your stories, as my wife and I are new to both adoption and parenting.

My wife and I quite possibly could be the only people to adopt vie facebook.

Back in late November 2011, my wife gets a message from her cousin asking us how we felt about adoption. My wife and her cousin are not close and only starting talking to each other vie facebook. My wife messages her back and asks her why. Well one of her daughters is pregnant, due in late March, with her third child. Her other two kids are 5 and 20 months, she is a single parent that does not work and the father, same to all three, does not work as well. Both of them are in their early twenties. My wifeís cousin says she is going to give the baby up for adoption, and they are looking towards family for help first.

My wife and her cousin start talking on the phone and we agreed to look in to the process and see what all is evolved. After talking about it we decide to move forward, by now itís mid December and the baby is due in March so we have about 3 months to prepare to include home inspection all the baby stuff we are going to need. Somehow we managed to get everything we need to get done done, thanks to some great friends and family support.
March comes and her doctor says she is right on schedule for her due date of March 27 but my wife and I want to make sure we are there for the birth, which was in Wisconsin, so we head up a week early. We get there on the 18, got an apartment thanks to the cousin, we take the birth mother to her weekly checkup on the 19, and everything looks on schedule. So my wife and are thinking we got a week to spend with each other before our world changes, well we thought we had a week. We get a call first think the next morning that she was checking in to the hospital, three hours later we had a baby boy.

Bare with me my story is almost over.

Once we were cleared we headed home, yes we drove all the way from Wisconsin to Virginia nonstop 18 hours with a newborn, and he did great.

James is now seven months old heís 23lbs 9oz and 26in and doing great. It has been one heck of a year and we look forward to many more to come. We have yet to finalize in Virginia since he had to be 6 months old before we could apply but itís almost done and canít wait until it is.

Thank you for reading my long story.
Great story!
But, I ask one thing...... "Would you do it all over again tomorrow?"

If the answer is yes, you're doing a great thing.
If your answer is no, well then perhaps you have reservations and make the best out of it that you can.

I try to apply that question to most everything I do in life, it's worked out pretty good so far... I'm content where I am, so you should be too I have less than I've ever had in my life, but I'm the happiest I've been in years.

Good luck with everything and James has a great start at life and a first birthday coming up really soon.

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
Congrats! As mentioned...soak it all in, take tons of pics and videos, because they grow so fast.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRENT View Post
From one father to another... Congrats, the best days of your life are about to begin! They grow up so fast, so enjoy all the little things! I wish you and your "new" family all the best!

Good looking Vizsla also, mine is 3, best dog ever owned.
Thanks and Nala is a Rhodesian Ridgeback but they do look alike.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Great story!
But, I ask one thing...... "Would you do it all over again tomorrow?"

If the answer is yes, you're doing a great thing.
If your answer is no, well then perhaps you have reservations and make the best out of it that you can.

I try to apply that question to most everything I do in life, it's worked out pretty good so far... I'm content where I am, so you should be too I have less than I've ever had in my life, but I'm the happiest I've been in years.

Good luck with everything and James has a great start at life and a first birthday coming up really soon.
Would I do all over again? YES I can not imagine my life witout him.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstewart319 View Post
Thanks and Nala is a Rhodesian Ridgeback but they do look alike.
Nala, cool name. They do look alike, should have notice the tail not being docked.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Great story...

I have an adopted sister, although the process was a little different for us when we went through it. She's 17 now, and she came to the US from S. Korea at 4 months old. I still remember that day clear as day with very vivid details. It's been a great experience.

Do you plan to tell him he was adopted when he gets to the age where he'd understand that? My sister looked different (not caucasion) so it was never a topic we shyed away from. There are definitely psychological hurdles with adoption that you'll need to be ready for when the time comes. My sister is very concerned with "saving" people. She tries to find the worst human beings on the planet to date at this point in her life, and the shrinks have all said it has something to do with how she was "saved" as a child and has it in her head that she needs to do the same.

Congrats on everything, it takes a strong person to accept responsibility for a life when you had no "plans" for having a baby in the first place. Kudos to you.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Congrats on becoming a parent. That single day changes the rest of your life - for the better. Being a parent is one of the hardest things to do in life and at the same time the most rewarding.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Congrats on being a dad ... At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what your accomplish at work it's all about do as a parent .... Our job is to develop them to be responsible adults .... Then you can be friends with them