Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Spray down the engine's metal surfaces with silicone lubricant?

One of the steps for winterization is to use silicone lubricant to protect the metal surfaces.

Can anyone offer advice/instructions? Do you just spray everywhere or do you have to avoid getting it on wires, electronics and all the other stuff that the marine engine is basically wrapped in? Suggested brands? I would think you would not want to get any on the K&N air cleaner as it takes a particular oil.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I think mine is Prestone. Keep it away from the belts and try to avoid the wires. Just the metal surfaces.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:05 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I was told by Joe at the old MC of Charlotte to spray everything with WD40 including hoses and wires. That it would protect everything but basically evaporate by spring. (Maybe not exactly evaporate, but it disappears)

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Top Kote

I actually use Top Kote finishing spray. I use it on everything from my car motors to door jambs and etc... It will make anything look brand new. All I do is spray it all over everything, motor,wires and etc...

I actually buy it by the case. A friend and I split it. Cost was around $6.00 a can.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2012, 09:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Thanks all. I'm going to have to think about how to do this best for my engine/boat. Plus being a v-drive it is all so fun to get access to. A lot of the wires are inside plastic conduit so not to worry there I guess. But some trouble spots would be for example the fuel injectors and the short segments of exposed wiring running to them. Maybe wrap things I want to protect with some plastic wrap (aka saran wrap). I did spray a small piece of cloth and was applying by hand but this will not get to all the places I want to get to. I got three months to obsess over this during the "off season".

I have some silicone spray by PB Blaster but it is a pretty strong stream and if I were to use it I'm sure it would splash over everything. I have to see what is available at hardware, auto, etc stores. I seen some stuff by Permatex online; I should be able to find that local. I think I'll give that a shot next to see if it is a fine spray.

I guess I need to buy some of those long stick-ed cotton swabs as well to clean up any pooling in difficult to reach areas. And to think I use to make fun of my brother who cleans his motorcycle by dismantling it, cleaning each individual piece and re-assembling it.

Last edited by GoneBoatN; 12-09-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Spray the hell out of it with wd40 and forget about it. You are over thinking this.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I was told by Joe at the old MC of Charlotte to spray everything with WD40 including hoses and wires. That it would protect everything but basically evaporate by spring. (Maybe not exactly evaporate, but it disappears)
^ What I do!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I hit the linkage and any moving parts with the fogging oil I'm using at the time. The rest of the engine and vDrive with WD40. In the spring I wipe everything down while checking all the hose clamps and connectors to ensure everything is ready for the summer and to make sure nothing got missed when storing it up. This process has worked for me on everything from outboards to inboards over the past 20 years. Time for more spraying and less thinking.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Wd-40

I've used WD-40 too and still do if I'm out of TOP Kote. Top Kote is just a lot lighter oil than wd-40.

Plus top-kote smells so good!!! You'll be hooked on it if you ever use it.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I'll have to look up top kote, sounds interesting.
Yeah, WD40 or even Armor All type dressings work well. Just dust everything with it and call it good. Same with underhood on the vehicles.
For exposed to the elements or corrosive areas, Fluid Film works great. It's lanolin based. I use it mainly on my sleds since they're basically stored in a tin can (trailer), lots of condensation/moisture. Keeps snow from sticking as much too.
I would use that stuff if the boat is stored outside. If stored inside, it's not necessary as it leaves a much heavier film on everything.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN