Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft Limited 351W slot
Dont limit yourself to one technique I have used all (with sucess)when working with millwrights at a industrial machine shop.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
Try a penetrating oil called "Kroil" that stuff really works. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I have used it in the shop before retiring, and NOTHING beats it. Just type the word "Kroil" into your browser and it will take you to their site. If that doesn't do it, about the only thing left is heat. Lots of it. Best of luck....
Anything special about Kroil being different then PB Blaster? Rated best? good info to know.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
I have never used PB Blaster, but I have read and heard a lot about that stuff. I do know that Kroil is really some excellent stuff. I used to be and probably still will be on the CCF site(CorectCraft Fan) a lot (being an owner of a Nautique), and many on that site have switched to Kroil. I have used that stuff for many years working in the Tool and Die trade and can truthfully say that it works. I feel that it may be a little pricey, but if it prevents frustration and temper flares,.... it's worth it. Just google it to read something about it. Remember the write up is by the people who sell it though.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
I have never used PB Blaster, but I have read and heard a lot about that stuff. I do know that Kroil is really some excellent stuff. I used to be and probably still will be on the CCF site(CorectCraft Fan) a lot (being an owner of a Nautique), and many on that site have switched to Kroil. I have used that stuff for many years working in the Tool and Die trade and can truthfully say that it works. I feel that it may be a little pricey, but if it prevents frustration and temper flares,.... it's worth it. Just google it to read something about it. Remember the write up is by the people who sell it though.
the magic phrase - prevent frustration.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Best penetrating oil (You will be surprised)

Quote:
April 2007 "Machinist's Workshop" magazine comparison test wrote:

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ...... Average load ..... Price per fluid ounce
None .................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................. 238 pounds ...... $0.25
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds ...... $0.35
Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds ...... $0.21
Kano Kroil ............... 106 pounds ...... $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix ....... 53 pounds ...... $0.10 (50/50 mix)

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Kind of surprising, but that mix (50-50) is what I use.
Word of caution - don't use a foam cup to mix it in. (Yeah, don't ask me how I know this) :twisted:
I mix mine in a glass jar with a good sealed lid - it does loose its effectiveness after time - it's best to mix up a small "fresh" batch for best results. I then pour it into an ALL metal squirt can to apply/use.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
Best penetrating oil (You will be surprised)

Kind of surprising, but that mix (50-50) is what I use.
Word of caution - don't use a foam cup to mix it in. (Yeah, don't ask me how I know this) :twisted:
Great info.... and regarding the the foam cup....
Old 12-09-2012, 04:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
+1 on the info. I'm going to try that too minus the foam cup.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
+2 on the information, thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 06:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Well as it stands right now, I have no broken/stripped bolts, but I do have definite signs of leaking from the riser gaskets, and rust stains from said leakage going down the manifolds. But I'll definitely be mixing up some of that atf/acetone stuff and trying it. If I can get those bolts to break loose with a minimum amount of trouble and an appropriate solvent I'll do it. Thanks for all the info. That's awesome.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Well as it stands right now, I have no broken/stripped bolts, but I do have definite signs of leaking from the riser gaskets, and rust stains from said leakage going down the manifolds. But I'll definitely be mixing up some of that atf/acetone stuff and trying it. If I can get those bolts to break loose with a minimum amount of trouble and an appropriate solvent I'll do it. Thanks for all the info. That's awesome.
Don't forget the red solo cup with appropriate fluid while waiting for other fluid to do it's works...