Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-02-2004, 02:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Ski 19 w/ 454
Any other 454 owners out there? (was backfiring)

So I took my 1984 with a 454 into the dealer this week to have them look at my starting and running backwards issues (and to replace the leaky intake manifold gasket). As some background, from my post on the old board I've had the boat run backwards on me 2x in the past 4 years and hydrolock by sucking water in through the exhuast. It also starts somewhat slowly.

The timing, compression and starter all check out. I replaced the ignition switch and cleaned all the connections. The dealer could only suggest putting in a new battery and I'll see how that does this weekend. He says it starts and runs great.

But in talking to him he says that the 454's are known for running backward because of the high compression. He says they work for a while and as he put it, "then go boom." He says you can't do much about it, but keep the boat in tune (which mine was). The other dealer I deal with really didn't have any clues as to why this would happen. SkiDIM and folks on this board suggested the ignition switch and timing.

Since everything has checked out, I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else and if anyone has experiences with the 454s?

Thanks!

Last edited by sfitzgerald351; 09-02-2004 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
As a kid ( a long time ago) the only way we could prevent some of the cars we had from running backwards, was keeping them in gear when we turned them off.. Put it in gear before turning off key..

Is your idle too high?? Or possibly installing a fast idle solenoid would be of help........
Old 09-02-2004, 08:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 454 w/powerslot
Your freaking me out! now I have something else to worry about!!!...never heard of that one....Scott what prop are you running and what your top speed and rpm...(in forward )
Old 09-02-2004, 08:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Scott ...I added another solenoid it helped my starts....I bought it from Mallory...if your interested I can get you the info...I used to get it rebuilt every year....havent for 2 and it goes vroom!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:42 PM
MC Fanatic

It doesn't diesel when shutting it off, only when starting and it happens before the engine ever catches. It's like it gets to the top of a compression stroke and then doesn't have enough momentum to continue on and goes backwards... just for a nanosecond, but long enough to suck water into a couple of the cylinders.

The idle if I recall correctly is about 700 or so in neutral and drops to about 550-600 in gear which seems about right to me. What would a fast idle solenoid do?

Scott88, did you replace your solenoid (and I'm assuming you're talking about the starter solenoid) or add a second one in addition to the first? The solenoid on this boat is integrated with the starter from what I can tell.

As for prop I'm running a 13x13 OJ Legend and top speed at WOT is about 45-46 mph at about 4600 rpm. The boat runs great all the time once started: idles well, great holeshot, smooth cruise, and good top end. I'll see how the new battery and cable ends do this weekend to help with the slow starting. THe old battery was at least 5 years old. It checked out fine on the bench tests earlier this summer, but who knows?

I'm assuming that the slow starting is most of my running backwards problem, but who knows? No one seems to have any definite ideas and everything I check seems to be set correctly.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Not just big block

My 351W Ford engine did the same thing last summer. In my case it seemed like the spark was not quite strong enough to start the engine until you let off on the key and then it kicked backward (probably slightly before TDC on a cylinder) It happened once this summer, as well, but this time it did not suck water into the cylinders. I've replaced everything in the ignition system,timed the engine, and installed a new battery but I'm still nervous when I turn the key. I'll be following this thread for any advice.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Hey Scott,

Mine hasn't run backwards yet...I've owned the boat for about 2 months. I had some issues with the starter/solenoid and alternator which I've had rebuilt and that part of the problem seems to have been resolved.

I just installed a Pertronix electronic ignition system the other evening and she fired right up after the install - ran smoothly, it was great...However, yesterday I went to start the boat and had to crank on it for a while to get 'er to start but it DID start. (similar symptoms to pre-Pertronix install) Then, after running for about 45 mins I started to get a miss - sporatic but still a miss...I've not had time to check this out yet - but I guess that's a question - what to check first? I 've installed new plugs and wires but re-used the existing cap and rotor.

I DID NOT re-time the motor after the Pertronix install, in fact, I'm embarrassed to admit I've forgotten how to time a motor so there's another question and then what is the timing info for a 454? I assume if a buy a timing light, the directions will show me where to connect the leads...I just can't remember as it's been since the early '70s that I've fooled with motors at all.

Sorry to highjack your thread, Scott....

Wes

while you're sleeping, things are breaking
'89 Maristar 240, 454, 1:1, 13:13 Acme
Old 09-03-2004, 09:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Scott

Thanks for the rpm stats!

http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/ElectricAcc.pdf

This is the additional remote starter solenoid that I installed. It was explained to me that because of the distance from the battery to the starter it causes over heating the existing starter solenoid. It solved my starter problems and it was cheap.

In my previous post I said it was from Mallory...its not ....its from Mr. Gasket

HOWEVER I COULD BE WRONG!!...I differ to the omnipotent all knowing guys like Jimn.

Last edited by scott88prostar; 09-03-2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Terry,

Sounds like you have the exact same issue I do... and sounds like you have done most of the same things I have. The folks at Discount Inboard Marine only suggestion was that the ignition switch might be worn out and not giving enough juice to the coil when in the start position. For $18 and 10 minutes to install I figured it was something to replace as well. I'll see how the boat goes this weekend.

Wes,

Call up SkiDIM and have them send you the manual for your engine. They have all some pretty good ones. Timing on the 454s seem to all be at 10 degrees BTDC. Your timing light will tell you how to hook it up and then you just simply get the engine to 1000 rpms and line up the line on the crankshaft pully with the appropriate marking on the overhanging mark (sort of jagged thing). As for starting I find that this motor takes LOTS of gas to get going. I give it a good 4 or 5 pumps of the throttle and it can take a good 3-5 seconds (which seems like forever) before it catches. I think it's just a factor of the big block being a gas hog. As for the miss, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, though I would check/replace your fuel filter as a good place to start. Then seem to get clogged pretty quick. I was told to replace it every year.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:32 PM
MC Fanatic

So I have some good news to report. After I replaced the ignition switch the dealer replaced my battery and the battery end of my cables. The boat now cranks properly and fires a lot more quickly than before which is much more reassuring! I had the battery tested twice this summer and it checked out fine both times, but getting a new one seems to be a large part of the trick I guess.

The boat still doesn't always catch the first time though. It always catches the second try. So I guess I still have a bit of work to do. I do get a bit of blue and sometimes brownish smoke out the back just after it starts so I'm guessing I have some leaky lifter seals since the compression checked out good at 150 on cylinders 1-7 and 145 on cylinder 8. That might explain the blue smoke, but the brownish smoke I'm unsure about? I also noticed that in the AM after the boat sat in the water all night I left a tiny gas slick on the water after starting it up. So now I'm wondering if the boat if running rich maybe? Other than it not catching quite as quickly as I'd like it sure runs nice. Idle seems a tad high (correction to my last post). 800 in neutral and about 650-700 in gear.

Any thoughts on what to look at next? I'm guessing carburator is the next logical step, but I'm clueless about adjusting them... Unless someone tells me that replacing the lifter seals is easy I figure that I'll just let them leak for a while until the problem gets worse.