Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-07-2015, 06:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X45 5.7L
X-45 Engine Transplant

I have an 07 X-45 with the 5.7l Crusader Captain's Choice engine. I bought the boat used and it was less than well cared for... Currently the boat tops out at 36 mph and 4200 rpms. While I don't travel at 36 mph very often there are several group cruises that I like to participate in and the lack of speed leaves me continually pushing the boat harder for longer periods of time than I would like. My solution, replace it with a blown LY6.

I know the LY6 came standard in some of the later X-45s so I believe I should be able to find all of the necessary parts to make this work. I received my used LY6 yesterday and began the tear down to examine the engine and determine what would need to be replaced. At this point I will be replacing the cam (VVT delete), the valve springs, rockers, lifters, exhaust valves (going with inconel), seals, gaskets, fuel injectors, fuel pump, new exhaust manifolds (likely Crusader or Mercury 6.0l manifolds), starter (marine version), and alternator (marine version).

I am very curious as to what modifications will be needed to mate the engine to the transmission. I am not mistaken the input shaft on the transmission is different between the Crusader 5.7l (L31 based) and the LY6. If any of you experience in this please let me know.

The next unknown area for me is the CAN bus interface. Does anyone have any specification data for the MEFI 4b CAN bus protocol? If push comes to shove I could either purchase the MEFI 4b controller and use my old harness and reprogram the controller or use the current E38 controller and a tablet PC for my gauges. Not ideal solutions but workable.

Anyway I will be tracking my progress in this thread.

Images of the engine as received and 2.5 hours into teardown are attached.
Attached Images

Last edited by sssnake; 10-08-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: broken pics
Old 10-07-2015, 06:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: No Boat
That's quite the endeavor.... Best of luck to you.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X9
I'm following this build. Best of luck to you!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:20 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
work with MEFI burn in Phoenix... they should point you in the right direction.

https://www.obd2allinone.com/mefitune.asp
Old 10-07-2015, 11:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Like Dylan said, heck of a big project. I look forward to the updates.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
Cool project. Fix the pictures please. Really want to see how this project goes.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:07 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Cool project. Fix the pictures please. Really want to see how this project goes.
Yeah, I'm not sure why they crashed. I did it the same as the last time I put pictures on this board...

It is a big job but my daily driver is a supercharged LS2 (6.0l aluminum block) that puts down 600+ whp so I have done this before. At least in the automotive environment. Hopefully the boat won't throw me too many curves.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:39 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
work with MEFI burn in Phoenix... they should point you in the right direction.
I have a copy of the MEFIburn SW for the 4b controller but would prefer to keep the automotive E38 controller. I also own HPTuners and I am fairly familiar with tuning the E38. Not so much on the MEFIburn side of the house. The thing that may be an issue again is not using the E38 but getting it to support the CAN bus for the dash gauges... The guys at MEFIburn could likely help but it would definitely be an out of the ordinary request on my part. I assume they decoded the CAN data for MEFIburn for the messages utilized in an MEFI controller. I believe there are some data packets on the CAN bus on the E38 that are gm proprietary and the protocol definition only available after paying licensing fees. I haven't gone this deep into the OBDII interface before so I could be completely wrong as this is mostly based on hearsay rather than actual research on my part. I suppose at some point I will have to do the work
Old 10-08-2015, 03:43 PM
TT Newbie

Last night I got sidetracked by engine stand assembly. So no major progress. I did get my parts listing together for the build and should be able to order them this week. In the meantime I will start assembling the supercharger. As it was a takeoff from a warranty repair on a Cadillac CTS-V, it needs a solid isolator, new lid, sensors, injectors, and etc. I have them on hand and will get on to the business of assembly. The only thing missing is the paint as I want to paint it a custom color to match the new graphics going on the boat this winter. Stay tuned.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: b
Looking forward to updates. Hope all goes well and not like some of my projects that end up scratching my head "why did I start this"