Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-11-2016, 06:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X25
Viper screen won't display radio info

This past winter I replaced my Clarion CMD-6 with a CMD-8. Before the swap all functions for the stereo worked great from the Viper screen. Since the swap I have intermittent problems controlling volume and switching stations. Also, since the swap the Viper screen will not display any information on song, station, etc. The most it shows is some random lines/characters. All other pages on Viper work fine.

I've checked the remote cable from the HU to in front of the helm and it seems ok. In front of the helm the cable runs into a bundle of wires and then goes to some sort of a "block" that is marked Clarion. It has two plugs. One is the bundle coming from the DIN cable and the other plug is a black wire and white wire.

Clarion is completely unresponsive to tech help requests. I finally reached them via phone and they said it's not their issue. I have tried calling Medallion and the lady that answered the phone said, "You need Mike so let me transfer you." Of course I got Mike's voicemail and still haven't received a return call.

Anyone ever see this type of problem before? It's not a life-or-death crisis but I do want it to work correctly. It's the MCOCD.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 07-12-2016, 06:06 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X25
All:

As a follow-on, I finally spoke with someone at Medallion today. The gentleman mentioned that there is a "translator module" installed between the head unit and the Viper screen. He promised to check with his colleagues about possible compatibility issues between the CMD-8 and the translator module and then call me back.

Perhaps someone knows where this translator module is installed in the X25? If I can find it maybe it's just a matter of corrosion on the unit. At least that's my best-case scenario!

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Chris