Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-31-2016, 12:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Best price for marine speakers?

I need a good source for 6-1/2" marine speakers and the marine distributor I had been using doesn't understand quality audio, so....

I like the Fusion, JL and some of the others, but I'm not looking for Boss, Maxxum, Dual and stuff like that. Anyone have opinions on the current MB Quart line?

Does anyone have barely used speakers? 7" wouldn't be out of the question, either- one of the boats has wooden side panels and I can make the holes larger.

Two pairs can be any color (well, within reason) and two pairs should be white, to match the gel coat.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: on order
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=75232
Old 07-31-2016, 04:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2009 X30 MCX / 2003 X2 MCX
I've been running Polk Audio 6 1/2s (modle DB651) in my boat for the past 2 seasons and have been very pleased. Polk Audio is a very well respected brand In the audio industry. Find them on Amazon for $65 a pair
Old 07-31-2016, 05:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseSteak1 View Post
I've been running Polk Audio 6 1/2s (modle DB651) in my boat for the past 2 seasons and have been very pleased. Polk Audio is a very well respected brand In the audio industry. Find them on Amazon for $65 a pair
2nd this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

If it ain't broke just give it to me... it will be. - me

RIP No1
Old 07-31-2016, 08:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 Prostar 190 LT1/Powerslot
It's been mentioned that the 651s are not actually marine quality, but I've had mine for two years and they sound great for a budget setup. If I was to do it again, JL M series with proper power.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
The Polk 651s are low end quality and budget. I'd not recommend them for any significant expectations, however they are cheap and durable and serve the purpose. I run mine on an amplifier at max rated input for best output. They can do only so much for $65/pair.

I have four 651s in a boat and speak from opinion and experience. I'll upgrade sooner than later.

I like the JL speakers and really like the wet sounds but I am also not willing to go over the 6.5" diameter spec.

MB Quartz is a middle of the line (stuck in time) speaker. I have not installed them but have heard them in other boats. They sound OK but as with any speaker combination-setup, your mileage may vary.

JL seems to be the proven and highly recommended cabin speaker for a higher price.

I use Sonic Electronics for most audio purchases.

66 Million Suckers.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R View Post
It's been mentioned that the 651s are not actually marine quality, but I've had mine for two years and they sound great for a budget setup. If I was to do it again, JL M series with proper power.
True. Despite the marine grade label given by Polk Audio, the dB651 is not a marine grade speaker. Metal basket, open midbass voice coil, linen spider, non-coated tinsel leads, etc. They do hold up okay for fresh water applications. Wouldn't last a couple of months in salt water. Best sounding of speakers in the lowest price bracket.

In a JL Audio 6.5", the value is in the MX series. In a 7.7", the MX series is good but the M series makes a big difference.

The current MB Quart speaker line has zero in common with the great West German MB Quart of old. The new stuff is really cheap across the board and has a lot to do with the parent company.

Entry level Fusion? No. Upgrade version? Yes, at the right price. But if they cost the same as a JL Audio MX, I'd rather have the JL Audio.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
JL seems to be the proven and highly recommended cabin speaker for a higher price.

I use Sonic Electronics for most audio purchases.
Sonic Electronics is not an authorized JL Audio dealer. So a dubious origin and no JL Audio warranty.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '99 205V
Kicker has marine speakers at a good cost to performance ratio. I have 4 6" cabin speakers (KM6LW) from them, as well as 4 tower speakers (KM6500.2). Going on 4 seasons on all of it and it still looks and sounds great.
Attached Images

Last edited by dvsone79; 08-03-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 08-03-2016, 01:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X45 6.0L
I've gone through earmark for jl stuff. They have a fourm discount too.