Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-04-2012, 01:10 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
That reminds me, even the Makita bag is the best!
Do the bags have pockets or some kind of divider for each tool, battery, charger etc

Also in these kits are we looking at just 1-2 batteries or 1:tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricunning View Post
Ditto on this. The little impact driver in that kit is one of the handiest tools I have. You can drive a deck screw right through a stud like it was made of cheese. Make sure you get the kit with the big batteries as some of the kits may seem cheaper but have the smaller batteries. The cheaper kits may also have the lighter duty hammer drill. I did burn one of those out when I was augering 1/2" holes through multiple landscape ties and accidentally had my hand mashed over the cooling vents. I ran it obliviously, grinding through them until the drill actually caught on fire. Lots of power in those tools. No problems with warranty.
Part number is 1830 for the larger capacity battery, vs. the smaller 1815's

Kit I posted has 1830's. if you ever decide you need a better drill then what comes in the kit pick up one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Tool-Maki...=Makita+Bhp454

But I think you'll be content with the one in the kit.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

2 batteries in the kit, bag has it all! Pockets, wheels, pull out handle..Even my dewalt buddies buy makita bags to put their tools in!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
I have about ever 18 volt tool Dewalt makes and have not had any issues. That said, if I had the funds, Milwaukee would be my choice.
I don't use these tools every day so I'm sure the dewalt or makita should work.

I'm kinda torn between the two.

I was at HD tonight and most of the 18v tools have if not the same then very close to the same ratings on their details sheets at the store.

Most of the kits with dewalt though are smaller kits with less tools per $$$. Kinda makes me wonder about better quality over the 2 brands.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
Part number is 1830 for the larger capacity battery, vs. the smaller 1815's

Kit I posted has 1830's. if you ever decide you need a better drill then what comes in the kit pick up one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Tool-Maki...=Makita+Bhp454

But I think you'll be content with the one in the kit.

Interested in the larger battery capacity vs lighter weight.

Not sure that I would need the other driver that you posted. I think the driver in the kit will be just fine.

How do you like the makita over the dewalt.

I have friends that have run dewalt, makita, and ryobi. I have been involved in odd projects and have tried all brands a time or two but then I go 6 mts before trying the next brand. So my comparison is more like I was thankful that there was a drill provided to complete the task.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-04-2012, 01:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

I gave my 4 piece dewalt 18 volt kit away, the tools work great but I was done buying batteries and rather then buy more I switched all together. Now I spend half as much time charging batteries. I have about 30 LXT Makita tools and 12 batteries than run daily with no failures in four years other than two batteries, that you can trade in for new ones at the local factory stores for $60.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Those small batteries are worthless unless its a flashlight!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 AM
MC Maniac

XTwentyNot that's real good info. Thank you

Sounds like you use the tools a lot and they can withstand the abuse of daily work, wear n tear, etc.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Kyle, It is funny that I have actually done the migration from Makita to Dewalt as I thought Makita quality has diminished in the last few years. I bought a made up kit with hammer drill, 2* drivers, 1/2" impact, angle grinder, reciprocating saw, shear, radio- charger, 12v charger,240v charger and 4 batteries all in 18v Lith ion. I actually thought that the angle grinder would be a waste of time but use it regularly when in a hurry outside of the shed, ditto for the impact driver. I bought a shed to put up (160'*80') and needed an array of tools. Put the whole roof on in approx. 6 hours with the two tek drivers! Out of laziness I quite often hang gates on my property using the Dewalt drill going through 10" strainers with an 11/16" wood auger bit, saves carting the generator around. The Lithium ion batteries are pretty spot on. If you stick with any of the top Dewalt,Makita,Milwaukee stuff you can't go too wrong, or they tell me Hitachi have lifted their game and may be worth looking at. Have fun.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Can't wait to see what you get as new and get your review. I love Snap-on tools but that would be a waster for me. I need some new power tools as well it's been over a decade since I bought anything. Post a link of what you wind up buying please..thanks...