Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 12-10-2016, 10:44 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1987 prostr 190
new MC owner. '87 prostr.

I just bought my first MC an '87 prostar. got it for 3500

would like to swap stock prop for something that will give a better bump.
4 blade OJ or Acme?

any other suggestions to improve wake or reduce spray on this boat would be appreciated.

thanks

Paul Wells - Sacramento
Old 12-10-2016, 01:13 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Hi paul and welcome - please post picture of boat

to reduce spray from the chine.. you will need a different boat - the 4B Johnson 13x13 will give you a better hole shot while the Acme 541 is said to give better overall performance - but some say its negligible others like it better.

which transmission do you have the 1:1?
Old 12-10-2016, 01:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes Prostar 190 351 285 hp
I would look into ballast in the bow to level the boat. I drove a '90 with a slot and it tilted hard right.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
If you're trying to improve wake for skiing, not sure going to a 4-blade will help. I recall reading somewhere that the 4-blade makes the wake a bit bumpier compared to a 3-blade. Something about pushing more water or something. But give the folks at one of the prop shops a call, see what they say.
I had a 4-blade on my 88, and it pulled like a freight train. Had a Powerslot transmission, but still, never had any problem getting pulled up.
G
Old 12-11-2016, 11:22 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190
Need any work?

The price you paid was very reasonable. Did it need any work? I bought an 87 in August, and even though it had not been used much, it needed fuel pump, gas tank removed and checked, new fuel filter, and installed an electronic ignition.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:56 PM
TT Newbie

Hi all thanks for the replies. yep awesome price for what I got. I'll post pics once I take some. Mine has 1:1. It only needs a carb rebuild as this one won't idle and leaks. already has electronic iginition. I'll put in a new shaft seal and bushing as well as a new impeller. Some elbow grease on the white / red gel coat. original upholstery intact. carpet dirty but no worried about that. back seat missing but saw some great home made ones on this site. Prop looks very slightly dinged but it's an original so I'll try an Acme or an OJ. can't wait to ski behind it as I"ve been sking behind an X7. Hoping the wake on mine will be way smaller.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:51 AM
TT Newbie

correction. It is a powerslot I took it to get looked at today and the transmission says 1:1.5 the prop is a 14 inch. still interested in an acme or OJ.

on another note the holley needs to be rebuilt...hoping it's savable won't know until I remove the float bowls. the ethanol they put in the gas here in Ca. wrecks fuel systems. My tech really loves Edelbrocks and thinks it will perform better despite the holley being stock. any thoughts on this.

thanks all
Old 12-15-2016, 11:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWells66 View Post
correction. It is a powerslot I took it to get looked at today and the transmission says 1:1.5 the prop is a 14 inch. still interested in an acme or OJ.

on another note the holley needs to be rebuilt...hoping it's savable won't know until I remove the float bowls. the ethanol they put in the gas here in Ca. wrecks fuel systems. My tech really loves Edelbrocks and thinks it will perform better despite the holley being stock. any thoughts on this.

thanks all
I went through Holley originally to get a brand new carb and was an oddball who received terrible tech service. They wouldn't do custom anything either. So I would not recommend them. That being said they accepted the carb back for a full refund after a few months (the boating season) of tinkering as they understood I couldn't work on the boat as easily as you could a vehicle. So they do have good customer service.

I called Quick Fuel Technologies up and they sent me a custom jetted carb, with some other minor changes, for the same price. I picked up a bunch of power and fuel economy. No joke. There carbs are also based on the holley 4150, but built with better precision and tune ability. One thing worth mentioning is I did have to grind a bit away from my intake manifold to clear the secondary pump shot assembly (Which the original carb did not have at all). It was very little material really, but if you are afraid of something like this then you need to be warned. And the special black coating looks kick *** I think.

You can also have your carb rebuild here by Mr. Mastercraft for a small fee
Old 12-15-2016, 01:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1987 Mastercraft Prostar 190 351W, 1600 hrs.
Welcome to the forum from another 87 owner. The best free ballast I have found is to move everyone to the rear seat when boarding. You may need a cushion on your seat to see over the bow... As for the whole power / prop thing, you can improve but the boat should easily pull multiple people out of the water at the same time stock. It was built to do so, and you have the powerslot which only adds more pulling power.

My 2 cents - Get that carb worked out, clean it really well over the winter, then decide on other power upgrades once you have a chance to use it. I also recommend either a tower or something like a joystick tower for boarding. Just beware the ugly towers!
Old 12-15-2016, 01:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
I had an 88- from a looks perspective, I'd suggest a wake pole.
Something like this:

Unfortunately, that awesome strapless bimini is no longer available. Believe me, I tried to get one when I had my boat.
G