Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Bow ladder reminder

Just switched boats - never had a bow ladder before. I was sure at some point I'd forget or not know the bow ladder was down and take off anyway, but I didn't think it would happen on just the second trip out with the kids - luckily no damage.

What have some of you figured out to help you remember the ladder is down before you start up again? I've thought about making a hard and fast rule that the ladder only comes out when the anchor is out... That's the only semi-foolproof thing I can think of (though my family has fools that can outfox any so-called foolproof system). The downside is this greatly diminishes the usefulness of having a ladder in the first place.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Does the ladder stay in the water very long when you are getting on plane? I would figure it would get above water quick like.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Xstar 08 MCX
I've accidentally taken off with mine down lots of times. Hasn't ever really caused any problems.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, x45, 2006, 8.1L
Eh, yeah I have done that with my old boat a few times. It never really hurt anything, you can usually tell pretty quickly. But my "rule" is if it goes down, that is the way I will get back into the boat to head out. That way I know I am the last person.

Unless of course someone else puts it down and doesn't tell me in which case they receive three lashes and a dunking...
Old 06-04-2013, 11:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeyman76 View Post
Eh, yeah I have done that with my old boat a few times. It never really hurt anything, you can usually tell pretty quickly. But my "rule" is if it goes down, that is the way I will get back into the boat to head out. That way I know I am the last person.

Unless of course someone else puts it down and doesn't tell me in which case they receive three lashes and a dunking...
Good idea to make sure I come up with the ladder if I'm the one that puts it down. The chances are far higher, however, that one of my kids will put it down without me knowing. My kids are airheads, so if I lash and dunk them every time they forget I'm afraid I would be arrested for child abuse.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft XStar, 08, LY6; MasterCraft ProStar 190, 91, Ford Mustang;
If the kids put it down and forget, they would have to lash and dunk themselfes... problem no 2 solved, not problem no 1

You could also delegate responsability...to the wife, but...

Well, I think it would be a good idea to install a little routine which is followed by yourself everytime you start the boat after having had a rest since not only the bow ladder but also loose lines in the water around prop, sunglasses on the bimini, not secured towels and so on could leed to severe child abuse