Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
This may be way too simple but make sure the fluid is at the correct level when warm also. If you have trans fluid there is a considerable difference in hot versus cold levels. You could be on the low end of the "hot full" level which would leave you low when the trans is cold.

To give you an example of how heat effects the level.... I changed the fluid on my first vDrive and filled to the full level with the trans cold (apparently I didn't bother to read the fill instructions). The boat ran great and seemed to operate well for a couple weeks in the spring with light duty. I took a rather long speed run back to the harbor a couple weeks later and was horrified to see a considerable amount trans fluid in the bilge when I cleaned up after I pulled the boat for the day. I was able to track the source of the fluid back to the breather. The next day I got everything back to temp and found that the fluid level was still a bit high although it was near the bottom of the fill marks when cold. This may not be your problem but it would be simple to check and may be a easy remedy.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_ken View Post
Bringing back this thread from the dead....

If the linkage was the issue I would suspect that it would work in either in F or R. Mine does not. I'm thinking if the linkage was out of adjustment for F then R would work no problem.

Am i wrong here?

Thanks
^ x2. Have you actually checked the transmission fluid level yourself and not just assume since the shop serviced it is correct. A low fluid level will cause delay engagement until the fluid warms up which it also expands. I would check this.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Maristar 210
I only checked the fluid when cold and it's clean and also at the top. I know I need to check it when hot... will do next time on the lake, or can I check it just with the engine running at home ? I would think the trans would have to be engaged...
Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1990, Indmar Ford 351w GT40P, Borg Warner 1/1 Velvet drive 71c 10-17-004, pp stargazer, Acme 13
5 min at 1500 RPM. transmission should be at operating temperature when checking fluid level.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, x star, 2000, 330
What is the best tranny fluid to use?

The manual say ATF Dex III but i've heard they now recommend 15w-40.

Is this correct??