Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 225VRS 1996 LT-1
Impeller and Oil Change on Maristar 225VRS LT-1

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help me with my issue: I just got myself a 225VRS from 1996. The boat is in exceptional condition but first of all we wanted to give her a new Impeller and some new oil since we arent sure when it was done the last time. At first this seemed like a pretty straight forward task. Then we found out that there is nearly no space in the engine compartment to get to those parts. Especially with the oil we dont have any idea how to drain it. The idea is to get a pump now and get it out of the top, but I would prefer a drain.
Any ideas or useful tips?
cheers
Michael
Old 05-04-2013, 09:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Mine (351 ford indmar) has a hose attatched to the drain on the oil pan. Just stick it through the drain hole in the bottom of the boat and drain the oil from below.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft MariStar 210 VRS
like drschemel said, there should be a hose attached to the oil pan that you should be able to snake out of the back drain hole in the transom, it should stick out about an inch or two, then you should use a vampire pump or some type of oil suction device (home depot has them for $20) to suck all of the oil out. The oil will not just "flow" out. Make sure you warm up the engine prior to so that you get all of the oil circulated and it will be easier to get out. As far as the impeller, you can use wd-40 to give it a little extra help with the movement. If you have a paint can opener you should be able to use that to start to wiggle it out from side to side to side. depending on how long it has been in there. Just take off the cover with the 4 soft screws (yes they will break if you do not take them out right, i suggest using a small rachet) then the cover and gasket should come right off. then you should be able to start to shimmy the impeller out. There are alot of threads on here that have to do with both but i figure i would just tell you from my experiance so you don't have to search too much.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 225VRS 1996 LT-1
Hi,

thanks for your replies. My problem with the impeller isnt the change as such, but to reach it. There is very little space between the engine and the hull. Do I really need to remove the sunpad and build some kind of stand that i can lie on to fiddle the screws out without vision of it? That sounds like a pain in the ****.
I think I need to take a second look to find that hose. I was under the impression that the oil would just flow out without a suction device when i open it at the bottom.

Thanks a lot for you help

M
Old 05-04-2013, 11:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Ganjo,

It is a pain in the butt to change the impeller. I have a 99 Maristar and I have to let one of the compartment panels down to get access and then crawl back there to even see what I'm doing. If you are over 6'0 I can imagine this being even trickier. I don't think there really is an easy way though. You could try and lean over the engine with your belly resting on it and work upside down.

Just remember that the cap for the impeller can only go on one way and always change the seal at the same time. Also, WD-40 never worked for me. I had to put some dish soap in a spray bottle and really soak it. Then it would start to make it's way out with some wiggling.

I have a couple of pics of what the impeller and it's housing look like here: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=50918 since you'll probably never get the opportunity to see it in a V-drive unless the motor's pulled.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft MariStar 210 VRS
i tell you what hogwild, you have a lot less room inbetween than i do. the only thing i have to do is let down the panel on the side i am working and i can get in there, and i am over 6 foot. i guess they added a little more room in between when they made mine.

good luck.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjo View Post
Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help me with my issue: I just got myself a 225VRS from 1996. The boat is in exceptional condition but first of all we wanted to give her a new Impeller and some new oil since we arent sure when it was done the last time. At first this seemed like a pretty straight forward task. Then we found out that there is nearly no space in the engine compartment to get to those parts. Especially with the oil we dont have any idea how to drain it. The idea is to get a pump now and get it out of the top, but I would prefer a drain.
Any ideas or useful tips?
cheers
Michael
Even if you warm up the oil with will take forever to drain unassisted through the hose. I suggest getting an oil extractor such as
http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-L...l+suction+pump if you don't have one already. I would suggest not putting the hose/tube down the dip stick tube unless you know for sure the dip stick tube goes all the way to the bottom of the oil pan. I heard rumors of it getting stuck and there is no need to do so. Simple visit your plumbing supply store and fashion yourself an adapter to fit your drain hose. And for the oil filter I suggest a quart size freezer baggie over it when you remove as to prevent spillage into your bilge. Still lay down some old rags to catch what drips.

You should not use WD40 because of the seals inside the impeller housing - and you don't need to. As suggested by others, simply use some watered down dish soap in a spay bottle. Remove the cover, lube it up good with the dish/water spray. Then a bump with the starter, or two, or three and the impeller should already be slightly on its way out.

I have a v-drive with little room. I don't know your exact layout but I stand in the port side locker (interior engine area panel removed), reach over behind the engine (I'm right handed hence the port side) with something (more about that later) and yank. If it is not easy, spray some more, bump the starter some more.

To get a grip some say to use needle nose pliers. With a v-drive and little room you may need to be creative. Maybe a mini set of vice grips with a good grip on one of the impeller blades. Maybe one of those angled needle nose pliers. Here is what I use: http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...788#post717788
Old 05-05-2013, 10:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
[quote=Hogwild;932066]Ganjo,

It is a pain in the butt to change the impeller. I have a 99 Maristar and I have to let one of the compartment panels down to get access and then crawl back there to even see what I'm doing. If you are over 6'0 I can imagine this being even trickier. I don't think there really is an easy way though. You could try and lean over the engine with your belly resting on it and work upside down.

LOL. Reading post like these makes me really appreciate direct drives for maintenance. DD owners need to have something on v-drive owners since you have better wakes.