Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-30-2013, 12:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Looking great ... You. Us the extremely proud ... Love all the pictures
Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
I'm still amazed at how much you get done in a short period of time. Projects take me forever it seems. Maybe I do too much head scratching and beer drinking!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
I just like to start and finish a project and have a very difficult time sleeping as long as I know a project is still not done. I generally set an aggressive timeline for myself and to make it fun I make it a race against the clock while still getting everything done right. I drive my wife crazy but she has learned that I do not stop until it is done. Problem is, once a project is done I need to move into something else.

So, now that this stuff is done, I have a concrete pad to pour this Saturday outside the garage and the stone I remove will get spread down around the walkout area. So, pending the weather stays decent this week, most evenings will be spent cutting and splitting firewood for the winter and once the weather turns I will shift my focus to the basement project!!!

No time to rest!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 225 vrs 1996
deck looks great. Love the cable look.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 190, LTR 330
The yard is looking great!

The whole place is, I can't believe the progress you've made.

I really like the look of the straw mulch. Great job. Strangely, I've never applied it before (since we run a couple 3000 gal hydroseeders). I did bid on a big job once (120ac) that specified blown straw and not hydroseeding. I didn't win, I'm pretty sure my straw price was way too high.

What's up with the area around the utility boxes? (I can't remember, is it septic?).
Old 09-30-2013, 11:47 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter McKevin View Post
The yard is looking great!

The whole place is, I can't believe the progress you've made.

I really like the look of the straw mulch. Great job. Strangely, I've never applied it before (since we run a couple 3000 gal hydroseeders). I did bid on a big job once (120ac) that specified blown straw and not hydroseeding. I didn't win, I'm pretty sure my straw price was way too high.

What's up with the area around the utility boxes? (I can't remember, is it septic?).
I can tell you this, I did not use nearly as much straw as I had figured due to blowing it. My research said that you should plan on about 100 bales/acre and I seeded roughly 1.5-1.75 acres and only ended up using 73 bales. The blower really provides a nice even coverage and great utilization of the material.

In the pic, the area you see is the septic tank lids and given that you can't really drive anything heavy over it or bury the lids, we are simply going to make that a nice flower bed of some shape and incorporate the lids somehow. We have a swayle that exists as well and the plan, when everything is said and done, will be to line it with a weed fabric and place rocks as to make a nice creek bed area as it does lead directly to the pond and will likely remain wet most of the time anyways.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:12 PM
MC Devotee

Info regarding VistaView CableTec railing for anyone interested

For anyone interested or who may be considering going the stainless steel railing route, here are some specifics on what I used and a pic of the fittings.

For starters, I found several suppliers out there but the pricing seemed out of reach and I received poor response from inquiries I made until I found VistaView CableTec railings from Wilson Building Products. I spoke and worked directly with the owner, Paul Wilson, as he helped me find the most cost effective solution for my project and he saved me a lot of money, time and effort. Paul was great and did everything he said he would do in a very timely manner.

Infomercial over and back to the details.....
I used 1/8th inch T316 1x19 cable (a section of if is picture below) and threaded hand crimp fittings which bolt thru the post and act as your tensioner (pictured with the washer and nut). On the stairways I used the toggle ends which were lag bolted into the post on one end and then I used an angle washer (pictured) with a threaded hand crimp on the other end which was again thru-bolted to get my tension.
They do sell a lag tensioner which is cheaper and allows you to simply screw into the face of your starting and stopping post, however, depending on the length of your run you may need more tensioning ability than they offer and you with the thru-bolt you can hide the hand-crimped end within the post and simply put a nice dome nut on the threads that come out of the post end. Other, more expensive options for ends exist that do not require crimping but one look at the cost of those will surely make you reconsider this as an option.

If anyone is considering this, please feel free to pm me and I will be happy to tell you what I felt I did right and wrong. Always happy to help.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2013, 12:15 PM
MC Devotee

I went with the no railing look. Not trying to threadjack, but we did some landscaping this weekend. Actually hired a landscaper on the side to do pavers and build a wall, but the wife and I did all the backfill/mulching/planting
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2013, 02:19 PM
MC Devotee

Looks awesome, I would like to do something like that where my walkout is. Is that stamped concrete bordered by pavers?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:17 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Looks awesome, I would like to do something like that where my walkout is. Is that stamped concrete bordered by pavers?
The concrete is colored and stamped tan, and then he added more color to the outside 12". Sprinkled on, and worked in with a handfloat.
Attached Images