Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
9/18/2013 evening update: Stonescaping has begun

Well, while I await the arrival of my cable railing I decided to go ahead and start placing the stones for our front landscaping. We got a good start and should be able to get some additional stones placed tomorrow before the rain starts around here and makes the grade too slippery for the skidder to work on.
The fun begins!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2013, 09:15 AM
MC Devotee

9/24/2013 Update: Cable railing is going in nicely and the yard goes in this weekend.

I started the cable railing on Sunday as Saturday was a complete washout. As you can see from the pics, I did get all of the lines run for the first section of decking (there are 2 separate runs due to the overall length I am going). All total in this section I have 7 lines and I am running 3 lines down each side of the steps (not pictured). The process is very easy and after all of the concern I had about drilling, I ended up free-handing it with a level taped to my drill as the margin for error is larger than I thought. The specs call for a 5/16th hole and the cable is only 1/8th inch, so I carefully marked both sides of each post and drilled from each side and amazingly enough I was right on the mark for 90% of the holes. When it came to the corners I ended up drilling angled holes thru the post from center mark to center mark and using stainless inserts to keep the cable from pulling thru the post. With a 6x6 post, you have a good bit of meat on the post to do this without worries.
After the hole were drilled it was just a matter of stringing the lines, cutting them to length, crimping on the ends and tightening. The only issue I have found with tightening is that since I sent with a thru-bolt system, when tightening the nut, the cable wants to twist, so I grabbed it with a pair of vice grips but found you have to be very careful as the cable will still try to twist and some of the strands may start to break, so you just go slow and don't over-tighten.
If anyone has any suggestions on something better to hold the cable with while tightening, I am all ears.

I should have the cable all done in the next couple of days as all of the posts are now drilled and I am just waiting on some additional stainless inserts I ordered after the fact.

So, this weekend we will be putting in the lawn. The rockhound goes on Friday or Saturday and then seed and fire up the straw blower. All total it looks like we will be planting about 1.75 acres and blowing around 150-200 bales of straw!!!

Enjoy the cable pics and I will get more when it is all done. Again, if anyone is looking to do this, Paul Wilson at Wilson Building Products is awesome to deal with for the Vistaview Cabletec products.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Very NICE!!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 PROSTAR 205
Looking great. Can't wait to see the finished pics.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM
TT Regular

Boat: prostar 205 2000
Nice looking deck
Old 09-29-2013, 09:16 AM
MC Devotee

9/29/2013 Update: Deck is done and lawn is planted!

Here is the latest:
Started Thursday night by placing the last of the large retaining wall rocks and then moving the ones the were left so that they would not be in the way when I started with the rockhound on Friday morning.
Friday morning began with loading 150 bales of straw onto the hay wagon and pulling it home then it was time to start with the roockhound. Got the yard all prepped by about 4pm then shifted gears and finished up my cable railing for the deck since the rest of the fasteners had arrived. Got the decking cable done by about 7pm then sat down to watch Cars 2 with my little buddy Josh.
Saturday morning I returned the roockhound, picked up the straw blower and by 8:30am we were spreading 200 lbs of seed. We started blowing straw at about 11am and by 12:30 we were done only having used 73 bales. So, the farmer I got the straw from had agreed to take back whatever I did not use, so by 1:30 I was unloading and re-stacking the 77 bales we did not end up needing.
Then it was off to a pig roast!!!

So, here are some figures:
800 feet of stainless steel cable used for the deck railing.
46 stainless steel fasteners used.
200lbs. of grass seed
73 bales of straw
7 bags of starter fertilizer (will go down as soon as the grass germinates)

Not sure what I will do today, it's looking kinda boring!
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2013, 09:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
put a lounge chair on the deck and take a load off your feet
Your casa looks great
Old 09-29-2013, 10:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Looks awesome.

Didn't know you had horses
Old 09-29-2013, 10:46 AM
MC Devotee

George (the 5 year old Great Dane) in the pic goes about 175lbs and is the size of most mini horses but as laid back and gentle as can be. He and my son are the best of friends and my son abuses that poor dog, pulling on his tail, sitting on him, etc. but the dog just takes it and walks away when he has had enough. Granted, Josh is only 2 and weighs in the 30lbs range so George has the weight advantage if he should choose to use it!
Old 09-29-2013, 11:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I say put your feet up, have a few beers, watch the Browns game, and wait for the natural sprinkler system to start this afternoon. Great job Jeff and family. It looks great!!

Sent from my New iPad Mini using Tapatalk

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams