Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisch View Post
jkski,

I spent a ton of time researching decks when we built the deck on our lake house. Take a look at some of the pics in this link. I think two things apply.

Think about using hog fence as railing. I think it turns out great, from such a cheap material. I think $50 for 16 foot.

Second on the spacing, take a look closely at how my boards were laid. They have no nail/screws showing. We used a $30 tool, that grabs the board, and helps you to place a screw in at a diagonal. This tool is designed for manufactured wood, but we used on treated pine, and it was great. It puts the right amount of space between boards, and completely hides the screws. I was a little worried after shrinking the space would be too big, but after a year, it's fine.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11832...CJ30mZvh-b2oaw

Railing idea comes from this link. The lights underneath are the final touch.
http://www.chandlerdesignbuild.com/f...omRailings.pdf
Damn......... Impressive!!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisch View Post
jkski,

I spent a ton of time researching decks when we built the deck on our lake house. Take a look at some of the pics in this link. I think two things apply.

Think about using hog fence as railing. I think it turns out great, from such a cheap material. I think $50 for 16 foot.

Second on the spacing, take a look closely at how my boards were laid. They have no nail/screws showing. We used a $30 tool, that grabs the board, and helps you to place a screw in at a diagonal. This tool is designed for manufactured wood, but we used on treated pine, and it was great. It puts the right amount of space between boards, and completely hides the screws. I was a little worried after shrinking the space would be too big, but after a year, it's fine.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11832...CJ30mZvh-b2oaw

Railing idea comes from this link. The lights underneath are the final touch.
http://www.chandlerdesignbuild.com/f...omRailings.pdf
When I read hog fence I thought "yuck." Then I saw the pics. Love it.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Got all of the deck joists in place for the 14x22 section of the deck last night so everything is nicely tied together for that portion now. Moving on to put the deck boards down but am looking for opinions on spacing them vs. not spacing them?
In decks I have built in the past using 5/4 pine, I have spaced them with a 6 pinny nail but I have heard a lot of guys say that they do not bother spacing as the wood is going to shrink anyways. So, give me some opinions as to what you guys are doing that build these everyday or at least more often than I do.

Thanks.
I doubt pine of any specie would only shrink but I wouldn't count on that when the deck is as large as yours and you would need to know the moisture content before making this decision. I have seen Ipe decks without spacing, but that's a much more dense wood and it's characteristics are very different. Typically, lower density/larger growth ring species expand/contract more.

Even a miniscule amount of expansion will create big problems when you consider the total width. Multiply the typical expansion across the width by the number of boards and you'll see that a 1/32" per board expansion rate comes out to almost 2-3/4". Using a 6d nail (6 penny) eliminates any problem with the accumulated expansion.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmikler View Post
When I read hog fence I thought "yuck." Then I saw the pics. Love it.
Yeah- they called it 'goat panel', but it looks great. I have been trying to decide what I want to use on a porch and might look into that. I used cedar for the posts, decking and railing after framing it with pressure-treated. I hate the look of aged PT- looks like crap, so I'm going to stain it darker. I already have a 2x4 rail on top and bottom, so it's just a matter of drilling holes to accept the tips of the wire.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Spacing is critical. I would not want to depend on the wood shrinking.

My house has a deck w/o spacking and it does not drain like it should and is difficult to keep clean.

Our Ipe dock was not spaced properly and we have a couple boards buckling. When I pulled up some decking to install a jetski port, it was very difficult to get the boards back down. Literally had to use a sledge to knock them back in. Luckily Ipe is so hard the sledge didn't make any dents!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
August 22, 2013 Update: Still decking but getting closer!

Finally got back to me deck project last night and managed to get the rest of the deck boards down on the 14x22 section as well as the boxband going all the way around the rest of the deck. Tonight I will go back and thru-bolt everything and then move on to hanging the rest of the floor joists and more deck boards. My goal is to have all of the deck boards down by the end of the weekend so that next week I can start on railings!!!

Here are a few pics of the box banding....it was really nice to get this up as it helps to show just how things will look when completed.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None right now. :(
that's going to be fantastic!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:16 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Finally got back to me deck project last night and managed to get the rest of the deck boards down on the 14x22 section as well as the boxband going all the way around the rest of the deck. Tonight I will go back and thru-bolt everything and then move on to hanging the rest of the floor joists and more deck boards. My goal is to have all of the deck boards down by the end of the weekend so that next week I can start on railings!!!

Here are a few pics of the box banding....it was really nice to get this up as it helps to show just how things will look when completed.
Looks great!!! Did you go deeper on the box band like you talked about?

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Looks great!!! Did you go deeper on the box band like you talked about?
I did indeed. I changed the wrap around to a width of 8 feet as opposed to the 5 feet we had on the plans. In looking at it I am even more happy now that I did so as it just give that much more space and really does not cost much more in materials.
Hopefully I will have some good pics after the weekend.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
great thread and great job .. i'm always looking forward to seeing your updates!