Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Thanks Jim. The Amish would indeed have it up in a day and would have plenty of time to spare. I thought about having them do it but it really is an easy task once the posts are set and I have plenty of other things to spend the labor money on! I do plan on having an Amish crew do the pold building whenever that goes in.
Thanks for the idea on raising the posts, I may give that a shot.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:55 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
After what seems like 40 days/nights of rain we are catching a bit of a break so I ordered the materials for the deck.....the pile looks so much smaller than I thought it would but then again I am comparing it to the pile we had for the actual house construction.
So, I locked in the ledger board and hung the joist hangers on the house and tonight I will likely drill the post holes and figure out exactly how I am going to lift a 20' long 6x6 so as to set it...should be fun. I would use the skidder but I lent it to my brother-in-law for a bit (worst case scenario I will go and get it to put posts in and then return it to him)

I will post up progress pics as I move thru the project but for now I have a pile of lumber.
Is your deck really 20' off the ground? You should build the deck first on temporary supports then put the 6x6's in place. Are you building your deck on a beam or are you hanging the floor joists and letting the end of the deck double 2x's serve as the beam? Are you trying to let the 20' 6x6's extend through and also serve as posts for the guards? With your deck as high as it is, I'd build the deck before digging for the sonotubes. And I would have separate posts for the railings. What are you using for railings?

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:29 PM
MC Devotee

The actual deck height is actually more like 10 off the grade however, with roughly 4 foot of post going in the ground and another 4' above the decking to act as support for the railing, the 20 foot posts come into play. The end of the deck will be two 2x10's sandwiched to act as the beam with the inner one notched into the 6x6 post. The 2x10 joists will hang from the ledger board and extend out 14' to hang from the beam on the largest portion of the deck (14'x22').

As for the railing, I have not yet decided what I am going to use however I do know that in place of balusters I will be running stainless cable horizantally in the proper spacing as not to impede the view from inside. I am thinking the top railing will be something simple and flat that can easily support a wide based drink (frosted beer mug!)
Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
How do you find the time and energy? Dude ... that is a most impressive project .... really happy for you guys!!!!!!

nice thoughts on the railing ....

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 08-09-2013, 10:16 AM
MC Devotee

August 9, 2013: Deck is finally getting started tomorrow!

After a slight delay due to weather, we are finally going to get the deck started tomorrow....hopefully. I did manage to get the posts holes drilled and the pier footers in last weekend and then proceeded to dig and run my downspout lines. All total I put 380 feet of 4 foot pvc and a lot of fittings in the ground to carry the water away and with the rain we had this week it all worked well!

The machine I rented to last weekend with nothing shy of awesome as it was practically brand new and had the power! It took about 2 hours to drill 13 holes and it only took that long because I had never run an auger on a boom before and I was working alone, but let me tell you, it is the only way to go! I drilled 2 foot diameter hole down 4 feet, cleaned out the holes and filled each hole with 4 bags of concrete to bring the pier footer to 8" thick. Tomorrow we will set the posts and hopefully get the framing in place to tie it into the house and after that things will really fly.

Here are a couple of pics so far.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2013, 10:24 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
The actual deck height is actually more like 10 off the grade however, with roughly 4 foot of post going in the ground and another 4' above the decking to act as support for the railing, the 20 foot posts come into play. The end of the deck will be two 2x10's sandwiched to act as the beam with the inner one notched into the 6x6 post. The 2x10 joists will hang from the ledger board and extend out 14' to hang from the beam on the largest portion of the deck (14'x22').

As for the railing, I have not yet decided what I am going to use however I do know that in place of balusters I will be running stainless cable horizontally in the proper spacing as not to impede the view from inside. I am thinking the top railing will be something simple and flat that can easily support a wide based drink (frosted beer mug!)
Are you sure the cable can be run horizontally? Here, if a deck or porch is more than about 3' above grade, it can't be horizontal because someone could use it to climb up and fall over the railing. Also, any balusters can't be more than about 3-1/2"-4" apart, so a small child can't get their head stuck between them and the bottom horizontal rail can't be more than about 4" above the decking, for the same reason. If it's more than about 6", a small child could crawl under and fall off.

I know why you want to use the stainless cable- it looks great. I'd like to use it, too, but it doesn't meet code. I'd hate to read that someone fell from the deck.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM
MC Devotee

You are 100% correct, in that the spacing has to be 4 inches or less but for whatever reason, in our area they state nothing about the orientation and since I am not pulling a permit I am taking a calculated risk. Never gave much thought to the climbing aspect and may have to carefully consider that as I agree, safety if the first concern. It is funny, because I have seen this type of concept used in many places including rental properties in the Carolina's as well as on the Feeney website (supplier of the materials), and they mostly show them running in a horizontal orientation.
I plan to run 10 cables across which should place my spacing at 3.5 inches or less.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
You are 100% correct, in that the spacing has to be 4 inches or less but for whatever reason, in our area they state nothing about the orientation and since I am not pulling a permit I am taking a calculated risk. Never gave much thought to the climbing aspect and may have to carefully consider that as I agree, safety if the first concern. It is funny, because I have seen this type of concept used in many places including rental properties in the Carolina's as well as on the Feeney website (supplier of the materials), and they mostly show them running in a horizontal orientation.
I plan to run 10 cables across which should place my spacing at 3.5 inches or less.
And easier to climb up.

I guess you could run 220 through it.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
And easier to climb up.

I guess you could run 220 through it.
220, 221... Whatever it takes
Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 AM
MC Devotee

A slight charge would certainly discourage climbing but it might get in the way of the zipline that will eventually lead from the deck down and across the pond!!!