Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-21-2013, 05:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Thanks guys.
The drain in the middle of the floor is a 6' trench drain so I should stay nice and dry when the boat is in the wet or snow is melting off the cars.

As for the dog wash area, great minds think alike. The pictures do not show it but we put an additional floor drain in up in the corner by where the short wall leading to the basement meets the house. The floor is sloped in that corner for a 3'x4' wash area and I am going to pour a 3" curb around it for washing George....the Great Dane. The area will also serve as the spot for my hose so that when it leaks the water goes right into the drain.
I'll get a pic.

We worked until about 10pm and got a good start on the hardwood and will be back at it tonight and will get a few pics. So far it is going well.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Smart to do your dog wash in concrete with a curb. I did an oversized shower pan and it is scratched up pretty good as we use that area to wash all kinds of stuff.

Thinking about coating it with bed liner spray

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 AM
MC Devotee

Considering the big fella currently gets a bath in a large plastic kiddie pool, this will be a very nice upgrade for him. I plan to put a sheet of waterproof wall panel over the drywall to protect the "splash zone" which tends to be fairly large when you are talking about a 165lb dog that stands 35 inches tall at his back! When he gets a bath I just go ahead and change into my ski shorts, cause your gonna get wet!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
We now have concrete in the garage and are one step closer to moving in! Took about 3 hours to pour the floor and get it all done and it looks great.

Spent Sunday building the stairs in from the garage and in the back sliding door, so no more ramps to get in and out of the house. Today starts the hardwood floor and the drywall guys should be back on Thursday and Friday to finish the garage and do some touch-up in the house, then it is time to clean.

We ordered the carpet on Friday night so everything from a timing standpoint should workout for moving in on June 2nd...assuming of course we have an occupancy permit.

Here are a couple of concrete pics.
Just asking.....Why wasn't the concrete poured BEFORE the walls were erected? I bet it took forever to set up!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM
MC Devotee

In our area, the concrete floors are not poured until everything is under cover and tied together. I "think" part of the reasoning is the outward pressure that concrete can put on walls if they are not all tied together and weighted down by the rest of the structure. Beyond that, at least in my case, since we had to put over 120 ton of sand in the garage to fill the void, I wanted to wait and let it settle/compact a bit to avoid possible cracking issues down the road. Before we poured the garage floor I flooded the floor a few times to really help it settle and it dropped a good 2-3 inches in most spots and that was after it sat for a few months. I top layered it with stone to get things back to grade and the concrete was poured and cured enough to saw cut the next morning and it can withstand vehicle traffic in 7 days (I will likely wait longer).
Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
In our area, the concrete floors are not poured until everything is under cover and tied together. I "think" part of the reasoning is the outward pressure that concrete can put on walls if they are not all tied together and weighted down by the rest of the structure. Beyond that, at least in my case, since we had to put over 120 ton of sand in the garage to fill the void, I wanted to wait and let it settle/compact a bit to avoid possible cracking issues down the road. Before we poured the garage floor I flooded the floor a few times to really help it settle and it dropped a good 2-3 inches in most spots and that was after it sat for a few months. I top layered it with stone to get things back to grade and the concrete was poured and cured enough to saw cut the next morning and it can withstand vehicle traffic in 7 days (I will likely wait longer).
120 ton of just sand? Here, when a road is repaired and fill is needed, they bring in a mixer with sand/gravel/water and pour it into the hole. It packs immediately and locks together better than sand. OTOH, the area where I live was originally a swamp, so we have a lot of clay.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:24 AM
MC Devotee

5/23/2013 Update: Hardwood is going down smooth!

Started putting down the hardwood flooring on Monday night after work with the help of a friend and with 2 evenings under my belt, I feel as though it is going really well and am glad we chose to go this route. The flooring is 4 3/4" wide, 3/4" think t&g handscraped cambridge oak. Got about 350sf left to go so that should be done by the end of the week.

Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
That looks nice.

We did a similar look in our basement, but with ceramic tile.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willski View Post
That looks nice.

We did a similar look in our basement, but with ceramic tile.
That looks almost identical to our bathroom we just redid. We have the tile in a herringbone pattern though, so it gives a very nice but different look.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 AM
MC Devotee

5/27/2013: Hardwood floor is done.

The hardwood flooring is now all done and I have to say that it was much easier than I had expected. They say to allow for at least 10% waste when ordering your flooring and I ended up with 3 full un-opened boxes left, so either my measurement was way off or I made really good use of the material........likely a combo of both! Nonetheless, 3 boxes will be going back which will be a nice little savings that can go towards something else!

So, next up is touch-up paint and cleaning after the drywallers come back on Tuesday and Wednesday. My garage door and carpeting should be in and ready for install by the end of the week and then we should be good to go. We did pass our final plumbing inspection late last week and the final electrical as well as building inspections I would imagine will be late this week, so we are hoping for an occupancy permit before the weekend.
In the meantime, I just need to build a temporary safety railing around my front porch area in order to pass inspection, seeing as how I have not yet built the deck and steps (that will come after we move in).

Hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend, mine has been productive!
Attached Images