Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Looks like a good place to install a slide.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Looks like a good place to install a slide.
I was thinking a fireman pole but a slide would be awesome as well and I am sure my son would love it!
It has also been suggested that once the deck is built I should put in a zipline that goes from the deck over across the pond.......serious consideration is being given to this but I will need to put in something sturdy on the other side of the pond to anchor the line.....I will add this to the dream list!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
I was thinking a fireman pole but a slide would be awesome as well and I am sure my son would love it!
It has also been suggested that once the deck is built I should put in a zipline that goes from the deck over across the pond.......serious consideration is being given to this but I will need to put in something sturdy on the other side of the pond to anchor the line.....I will add this to the dream list!
Yeah, a 'fireman pole'- Go ahead and see if that flies by calling it that. Is that what you use them for down there? 'Cause we have a different use for them here in, oh, THE REST OF THE WORLD!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:16 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Yeah, a 'fireman pole'- Go ahead and see if that flies by calling it that. Is that what you use them for down there? 'Cause we have a different use for them here in, oh, THE REST OF THE WORLD!
LOL....yeah I was trying to keep it PG but forgot where I was for second!
That would be one heck of a stripper pole!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
LOL....yeah I was trying to keep it PG but forgot where I was for second!
That would be one heck of a stripper pole!
It's all about 'situational awareness'.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM
MC Devotee

3/30/2013 Update: Front porch carpentry done ,chimney stone in process and more tile!

Progress continues as we now have the front porch carpentry detail work done and the stone is going on the chimney. The stone that is on the foundation already as well as on the interior has already been grouted.

The tile on the tub surround is now done with only the backsplash left to put on which amounts to some 6 inch tile. I started the shower tile today as well by putting the 2 accent rows in place. Next up is to start tiling the walls with the same pattern as is seen on the floor.

With the weather looking better on our area, I hope to get a good rough grade by the end of next week.

Enjoy the pics while I go have a beer and relax a bit!
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2013, 07:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Malibu Echelon and 1985 Stars and Stripes
Looking great! I really like that Hardibacker cement board. My first experience with it, however, didn't go so well. I bought screws specifically designed for it, but I kept breaking the screw driver bits trying to screw them in!!!! I gave up and looked online for the directions and the company suggested using roofing nails. Went much better after switching to the roofing nails.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethro View Post
Looking great! I really like that Hardibacker cement board. My first experience with it, however, didn't go so well. I bought screws specifically designed for it, but I kept breaking the screw driver bits trying to screw them in!!!! I gave up and looked online for the directions and the company suggested using roofing nails. Went much better after switching to the roofing nails.
Can not say that I have ever broken a screw going thru hardibacker, was the subfloor some type of hardwood? They do advise that you set the hardibacker in a bed of thinset and then screw it down but truthfully, I have never done that, rather I just screw it down. I would be afraid of using nails as they might pull out if your floor has give/flex, but they know their product best and it would certainly be easier to use a roofing nailer to put the stuff down.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Malibu Echelon and 1985 Stars and Stripes
I was only putting it on walls, not on the floors. I feared the same thing about a nail pulling out, but it has been about 7 years now with no issues.

The screw itself wasn't breaking, the screw driver bits were shearing off. I bought different bits of different materials and then the screw heads starting stripping. I was about to drill pilot holes for each screw location until I went to the website and learned about the nails. My conclusion was that Hardibacker was indeed a "hardy" material.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
pneumatic nailer with ringshank nails on a bed of thinset is how I roll I use to secure with screws but I had the same problem with exploding the driver bits