Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
I can honestly say that I am glad that is over with and I do not care to do it again, even though it went well.......a lot of things could have gone really wrong and I am not as strong as I once was!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:11 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Beautiful stairs. Do the open risers meet code in your area? Here they must not allow a 4.38 diameter sphere to pass. With the tread thickness those openings may even be under 4 3/8.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:17 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
I can honestly say that I am glad that is over with and I do not care to do it again, even though it went well.......a lot of things could have gone really wrong and I am not as strong as I once was!
Let us know how sore you all are tomorrow, or Friday.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:30 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Beautiful stairs. Do the open risers meet code in your area? Here they must not allow a 4.38 diameter sphere to pass. With the tread thickness those openings may even be under 4 3/8.
As the stairs sit, the open risers do not meet code as they are actually closer to a 6" spacing. We wanted as much space as possible to allow for a nice view thru the steps so we simply planned to add small kicker boards to the back of each step until after the final inspection and then, if they just happen to fall off, well then!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Let us know how sore you all are tomorrow, or Friday.
Well, considering that I hurt my back the other day and woke up this morning with pain, I knew it was only going to get worse. Fortunately, I actually used my head and lifted with my legs for the most part and then putting them in place was more of military type press which was all arms and shoulders. So, the back does not hurt anymore than when I started and in some ways, I think the weight helped to stretch it a bit, problem is, compression will set back in tonight!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
As the stairs sit, the open risers do not meet code as they are actually closer to a 6" spacing. We wanted as much space as possible to allow for a nice view thru the steps so we simply planned to add small kicker boards to the back of each step until after the final inspection and then, if they just happen to fall off, well then!!!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 190, LTR 330
Hey JK,

I remember looking at one of your photos that was taken from the kitchen, looking out at the pond, and thinking to myself "I hope he does an open riser stair so it doesn't block out too much light". Nice job!

And nice job all round. Thanks for keeping us updated. I hope to be taking on a nearly identical project some day. I missed out on a nice piece of land 4 yrs ago because I didn't have the nuts to take on 2 mortgages then hope for a quick build.

Being a landscaper, I'm looking forward to the exterior progress picks.

Kevin
Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014, X30, 6.0 Gen2
Nnniiiiiccce!! Love the stone!!!
Great work!!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Heck just see if they pass as is then. Sometimes inspectors get side tracked and miss the obvious. If it fails then add the aircraft cable type of guard for a deck. Then if you remove them to poly or something, I'd understand.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
MC Devotee

3/28/13 Update: The steps are in and kitchen cabinets have been delivered.

As was stated in a prior post, the steps are in and my back now feels as though a disc is a little swollen......ALEVE and a heating pad to the rescue I hope!!!

The kitchen cabinets were delivered today and the carpenter started out working on the front porch decorative wrap stuff (I will get pics of this tomorrow as it will likely be done). I believe his plan is to put the kithchen cabinets up tomorrow and then move on to hanging interior doors(likely Monday). As for me, well, the tile shower and bath surround are calling my name!

Here are a couple of more shots of the staircase. If I remember I will take one later from the kitchen area looking thru the steps and provide a measurement of the spacing.
Attached Images